PDA

View Full Version : Description of Sgt Pap's Place

greybeard
04-18-03, 09:49 AM
After watching the Marines professionally kick some as* for the past 6 weeks, ya kinda wonder at times, who's learning from who.

"A place for the Old Salts to hang there cover and deploy some wisdom for the up and comers."

wrbones
04-18-03, 10:20 AM
Thanks fer stroking our egos there, greybeard! :D

Yeah, right! LMAO.

Like First Sergeant Mike said, he's learnin' new things from three year olds! Been there, done that! It'll humble ya, but ya learn more from teachin' than from learnin', if yer payin' attention!

That said:

These Marines are settin a standard that'll be hard to beat. I sent a note to SgtofMarines, who's in the Sand Box right now, about some of the things I've heard and seen on TV and in some of the news items I've read. I had tears of pride in my eyes before I finished writing it.

Ater several weeks of waiting to cross the line of departure, a Marine was asked by a visiting General, in front of his entourage and the press, "If you could have anything you wanted right now what would it be?" Instead of a hot shower, a hot meal or a visit with family or girl friends, the Marine PFC said, "More ammo."
Another Marine officer was asked, a couple of days before they went into Bagdad, if he thought it was going to be a tough fight. His answer, " We took Iwo Jima, Bagdad, ain't ****."
Another scene I watched on TV, during a small but harsh battle, a wounded Marine was being quickly carried to safety on a stretcher by his buddies...and firing his M-16 one-handed at the enemy. Another scene, we see a Marine providing covering fire from behind a Bradley, and hear a voice say, "Hold still! Hold still!" As the Marine moves to a better vantage to provide fire support for his people, the camera pans back and we see the Corpsman on his knees trying to dress the Marine's bleeding leg. Every day...they're making new legends and doing a job that will be hard to equaled. One wounded Marine was in tears. Not from the pain, but because he couldn't be with his unit in the middle of the fighting. Wounded Marines, to a man, speak of wanting to be back with their units. We've all seen or head the story of one embedded reporter offering the Marines he had interviewed the use of his cell phone to call their families, One Marine asked if it was ok to get a buddy to take his place, his buddy's wife was pregnant and due to deliver any day. The others asked if they could call the families of two Fallen Marines to offer comfort and tell them about their Marines.

They've added to the glory and honor that is ours.

These are Men. These are Heros. These are Marines, by God. And I'm proud of them. I'm proud to be a Marine, by God!.

greybeard
04-18-03, 10:34 AM
As usual, you said it better than I could. Will a future amphibious assault ship carry the name "USS Baghad"?

"Another scene I watched on TV, during a small but harsh battle, a wounded Marine was being quickly carried to safety on a stretcher by his buddies...and firing his M-16 one-handed at the enemy"

Saw this just last night. Someone in the studio asked, 'did he hit his target?'
Answer was "yes".

MillRatUSMC
04-21-03, 08:16 AM
Sgt Pap aka "MY FELLOW ALL THE WAY" aka Nomad aka Sgt. George H. Morrow USMC may he Rest In Peace.
Was wise beyond his years, he what he had to say on a poem that I placed on my message board.

"The Meaning of Life" by Author Unknown

There was once a small child. Her name was Alex. One day she was sitting in school and her teacher told the class they had to write a report on what they thought the meaning of life was to them. Well soon after all the moans and groans the bell rang and school was dismissed for the weekend. Finally Monday came; it was back to school for Alex. That morning the children had to read their essays about the meaning of life to the class. Almost all the students had read theirs and then when the teacher called Alex to the front of the class.
She had no paper in her hand but yet her head was held up high. The teacher asked Alex, "Where is your paper?", and with all the pride little Alex had she said, "I didn't write a paper".
Then Alex went on to say what she thought was the meaning of life. She said that the meaning of life had nothing to do with how long a paper had to be or what kind of grade you get for that paper. She said that God put us all on earth for a reason and if you spend your weekend writing a paper, then you may never know what that reason is.
So she spent her weekend looking for that reason!

There's a lesson some where in this story...if we go looking for a reason for the meaning of life!

Nomad reply;
Each individuals answer would be unique unto themselves...Posted by NOMAD

No matter what the individuals reasons be, there are some that will laugh and belittle the efforts.
The cliques and groups will form, and establish relationships far to inward looking than should be. If the individual wants to know the reason(s)for their being, it will be a continuous search & discovery.
Once these reason(s) are known, or
at least felt to be known, a continuous effort must be made if success is to ever be accomplished. It will not always be an easy road to follow.
The thoughts and words of others should not
dissuade you from the objectives you seek. Often there will be obstacles, many that are man made,that will make sport of you and degrade you.
Some of these reasons will seem silly, and none will have much merit.
Most will be that you do not address your efforts to those others feel you should.
Or you direct your efforts to those that
are not felt to be "worthy".
All creatures are worthy and we have not the authority nor knowledge to make a determination.
Thus, there are none that should be excluded.
There will be times you will be thanked for your efforts and times when you will be ridiculed.
Remeber about all else, "To thine own self be true".
Success can never be obtained when you
do not do so.
When the day of accounting presents itself,
it is then that your works will be seen and
recognized.
Until then, the remarks of those
that would belittle your efforts are of no
consequence.
S/F

continue

MillRatUSMC
04-21-03, 08:26 AM
Nomad placing of that description on Sgt Pap's Place was meant to say that all have some wisdom.
As many say "Old Breed" will show and the way for the "New Breed" but like everyone knows, that a recruit one day before another recruit will say "You'll be sorry" yet he in the same boat as that other recruit.
He thinks him or herself wiser that the other recruit.
Who he see's at an up and comer.
All have merit and wisdom.
"MY FELLOW ALL THE WAY" was wise beyond his years.
I was privilege to hear him in person several times.
He left a void in my soul but I'm richer for having known him.
He had a saying;
"Winners reside within the 8 ring" or close to bulleye.
Yet we might interrupt that as being one who "true" to him or herself.

Semper Fidelis and may Nomad RIP
Ricardo

wrbones
04-21-03, 09:26 AM
Nomad has had an influence on Marines that many will never know about, from those he trained and worked with on active duty to people like myself, who never met the man. My own interactions with him on this site were all too brief and few. Through his influence on me, and others like me, he will have good effect upon others for some years to come.

There was a gentleness and yet a firmness to his words. He asked for reponsibility, and at the same time allowed you to be responsible for your own words and actions. There is no simple way to describe him that I can come up with, except to call him Marine.

When he left us a void opened up and a voice was missing.

Many on other places have used his name as a talisman. Others have used his name to put forward their various and sundry causes. Still others have used his name to justify their stance on any variety of positioins. On this site, we sought to honor a man among men and a Marine's Marine. We remained otherwise mostly silent except to encourage others to put away their differences and to seek some measure of peace over his loss. Many of us here attempted to offer solace to those who were suffering from his loss.

Sgt Pap's Place was created and the nickname used at his permission when this site was first organised. It remains so named as our tribute to him. Such a small thing to do to honor a man of such wisdom and strength and compassion.

I, myself, have been greatly influenced by him, as I was ready to give up on all sites concerning the Marine Corps. Through his encouragement and by his request, I remained. In time I sought my own small and inadequate way to honor this man by taking a thread called Morning Coffee and seeing if I could perhaps make up for the voice that was missing among us. Foolishly and futilely, as it happens. I had to make my own voice heard. Nomad's special wisdom and strength was and will remain unique. I keep trying, though, One day, maybe, with a lot of luck, I will become half the man he was. My intent and the intent of those on this site was to honor the man. I hope that we have done so in some small way.

You see, here, we have made an attempt to help Marines and their friends and families, as inadequate and helpless as we often are. We still try. We have offered ourselves and others a chance to come in out of the weather and sit and relax a bit. Have a beer or a cup of coffee and maybe look out the window or sit on the deck while they relax and take a deep breath before they gotta get their 782 gear ready to go on another patrol out in the burg. This, too, is our tribute to Nomad. As inadequate and paltry an attempt as it is.

We're doing our best to carry on the mission. But sometimes, without his voice, it seems kinda hard. He was a special man and a special Marine and he will be missed. But his influence. His influence won't fade for quite some time to come.

greybeard
04-21-03, 07:38 PM
If I've stepped on toes somehow, I'm sorry-just meant my original post as a compliment those currently wearing the uniform.