PDA

View Full Version : Finally an official Poolee

rkidd4
03-04-08, 02:17 PM
Well I swore in yesterday and I cant feel anymore excited than I do now...Ive posted my ship date and MOS in the correct thread just wanted to make a thread to say how excited I am. I have had butterflys honestly since I signed and swore in yesterday. Shipdate is 20080825 and 03XX is my MOS.

yellowwing
03-04-08, 02:22 PM
Good to go. And you got on of those very sought after Infantry slots!

rkidd4
03-04-08, 02:25 PM
yes I did even though I got hassled at MEPS all day yesterday. They are very annoying when it comes to them trying to get you do join another MOS when you have a good ASVAB score lol. MEPS is horrible everyone tend to agree?

Sally
03-04-08, 02:52 PM
Well I swore in yesterday and I cant feel anymore excited than I do now...Ive posted my ship date and MOS in the correct thread just wanted to make a thread to say how excited I am. I have had butterflys honestly since I signed and swore in yesterday. Shipdate is 20080825 and 03XX is my MOS.

I remember that feeling. The welcome aboard package was the best thing I'd ever gotten.

rkidd4
03-04-08, 02:55 PM
Yeah it is and it was a great feeling wearing the Marine shirt I was given...although I cant call myself a Marine yet its still great to wear the colors and the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on my chest.

SGT7477
03-04-08, 04:02 PM
Wear it to boot camp,lol,congrats.

rkidd4
03-04-08, 06:01 PM
haha yeah the would go over really well with the DIs lol but thank you SGT

sparkie
03-04-08, 06:09 PM
Don't forget when you get to boot, those DIs love Army stickers. Take a couple.

SGT7477
03-04-08, 06:27 PM
haha yeah the would go over really well with the DIs lol but thank you SGT
Just seeing if you paying attention to detail, Good Luck.:flag:

SGT7477
03-04-08, 06:28 PM
That would be cool wouldn't it I would pay to see that,lmfao.:flag:

rkidd4
03-04-08, 06:34 PM
Haha maybe Ill plant the stickers on another Recruit...just as an experiment lol Just Kidding

jungleman4422
03-04-08, 07:46 PM
Haha maybe Ill plant the stickers on another Recruit...just as an experiment lol Just Kidding
Thats just mean. Lol.

rkidd4
03-04-08, 11:13 PM
Yes it would and not even be worth it for all the trouble it would cause for everyon lol

DEAVILA
03-05-08, 12:19 AM
Well Welcome to the small part of the Marine Corps family...We are Not Marines yet..But we are Poolees...and to me well..we are a tiny little part of the bigger Marine Corps family that we will be in a few months..once we have finally earned the title....
CONGRATS!..Wow..I remember when i swore in..It was the greatest Feeling ever!..hehehe..:)

rkidd4
03-05-08, 04:29 PM
Yeah that is a good way to look at it lol but its gonna suck waiting another almost 9 months to have that title...O well ill keep myself busy until then

Wyoming
03-05-08, 04:49 PM
Yeah that is a good way to look at it lol but its gonna suck waiting another almost 9 months to have that title...O well ill keep myself busy until then

Study your kowledge questions and work out.

9 months gives you a bunch of time to be in shape and mentally prepared.

Make full use of it.

rkidd4
03-05-08, 08:29 PM
well its a little less than 6 months before I leave but I am definitely working out almost everyday and will definitely study my research Thanks!

run like hell
03-06-08, 09:14 AM
I just hate how every 1 thinks infantry is so bad... thats what im going for 20080714

SGT7477
03-06-08, 09:48 AM
I just hate how every 1 thinks infantry is so bad... thats what im going for 20080714
It isn't bad it's the backbone of our beloved Marine Corp.:flag:

rkidd4
03-07-08, 03:39 PM
yeah I dont think its bad at all I scored high enough to do anything and I chose infantry because it was most appealing to me. I was wondering though if I dont want to wait till August to go, is it easy to push up my shipdate?

JAG1990tn
03-10-08, 09:20 AM
yeah I dont think its bad at all I scored high enough to do anything and I chose infantry because it was most appealing to me. I was wondering though if I dont want to wait till August to go, is it easy to push up my shipdate?

from what i understand they can move your shipdate to anywhere to within a week to three days of your graduation of HS. Considering that you have all the papers and things you need completed.
Talk to your recruiter. See what he can do for you.

rkidd4
03-10-08, 01:12 PM
well sweet I've actually graduated high school I'm actually a sophmore in college lol so hopefully I will be able to leave much sooner then...will shipping early have an effect on my MOS? Thanks for your guy's help

JAG1990tn
03-10-08, 01:28 PM
well sweet I've actually graduated high school I'm actually a sophmore in college lol so hopefully I will be able to leave much sooner then...will shipping early have an effect on my MOS? Thanks for your guy's help

Cool.good job man. Higher education is always a good option.
As for the Early shipdate. It may affect your Mos as to the effect that if you sign earlier, you will have a wider feild of MOS's to pick from.
When i signed 03xx, there was only four spots available, well from what the logistics said on the computer.
It is like shopping. You don't want to get there too late on a SALE, or all the good stuff will be gone.
Have you signed yet?

rkidd4
03-10-08, 01:59 PM
Yeah I signed/swore in last Monday. I chose August to ship because I wanted to finish out my lease and hang out with my friends and get prepared. Ive gotten prepared alot quicker than I thought I would so I want to go now! lol

KevinR90
03-10-08, 03:04 PM
people think infantry is bad? Aside from the obvious issue of being closest to the fighting(i don't think you should worry about that if you're joining the Marine Corps), the only other bad thing about it I can think of is that there isn't a definitive trade you can take with you once you retire and become a civilian again. I realize it can be a career, but I'd rather just choose what I wanted to do- if that was infantry- cool. I like helicopters so i was going to be an avionics mechanic until my recruiter showed me the flight crew MOS so i took that. Even if i do stay in for 30 yrs i want to learn as much stuff as possible that will help me in the civilian world.

gnarkill04
03-10-08, 03:22 PM
I don't know about any of you, but I'm pretty sure what I do in the Corps. isn't going to be what I do in the civilian world. I'm not trying to use the Marine Corps. as something to help build my resume, I'm doing it to learn discipline and earn a title. I have the rest of my life after I get out to build a resume, so I'm going to do what I think I'm going to love doing while I'm in, not something thats going to help me build a career when I get out.

That's what college is for. Which I'll be taking on my spare time when I'm in, and I can guarentee it won't have anything to do with my MOS.

My MOS is going to be what I think I'll enjoy most, and don't take another MOS that's going to give you less than that.

Just my two cents.

rkidd4
03-10-08, 03:37 PM
Exactly how I feel JAFORG. Im joining to learn life skills only the Marines can tach me correctingly and I want an 03XX MOS to teach me these skills regardless of the effect it has after I get out. I understand where youre coming from though KevinR90

Lupisella
03-10-08, 08:38 PM
Change to 20080811, that's when I ship, but I go to Parris Island!

TheChiefIsIn
03-10-08, 09:44 PM
I think you can change the shipdate as close as you want as long as it is available. My recruiter told me that he shipped off the day after he graduated.

rkidd4
03-10-08, 11:01 PM
Haha Lupisella that would be sweet but I dont even want to wait that long lol. I wanna try and leave in April now if available.

JAG1990tn
03-11-08, 08:08 AM
people think infantry is bad? Aside from the obvious issue of being closest to the fighting(i don't think you should worry about that if you're joining the Marine Corps), the only other bad thing about it I can think of is that there isn't a definitive trade you can take with you once you retire and become a civilian again. I realize it can be a career, but I'd rather just choose what I wanted to do- if that was infantry- cool. I like helicopters so i was going to be an avionics mechanic until my recruiter showed me the flight crew MOS so i took that. Even if i do stay in for 30 yrs i want to learn as much stuff as possible that will help me in the civilian world.

In reply to your quote on " The only other bad thing about it I can think of is there isn't a definite trade you can take with you once you retire and become a civilian again."

I'm not completely sure but I think it would be easy to get a good paying security job after thatm after retiring as a grunt.As ans example, take the nuclear plant in O*k R***** ( *'s in case of any idiot that enjoys watching things blow up). Back to the subject, It would seem likely that a job as a security officer at the plant would be with in reach. Or maybe a weapons handling profession somewhwhere else. To the extent of treaching people the proper way to handle and maintain a weapon.

I'm not critizing you man. Just putting my dime in it.

davblay
03-11-08, 11:17 AM
Sigh.......As a Marine myself and as all my learned brothers and sisters will tell you, Seldom do the people that DEP into the Corps want to wait until the ship date to leave after they have thought about it a while. Everyone wants to "Get it over with" and get on with thier lives. The DEP has a two fold purpose, 1) to allow you time to propare physically for Boot Camp, and 2) to allow the Corps to have your school ready for you as soon as possible after you complete Boot Camp, to avoid a back up of tansit Marines waiting for school to start.

There are some Marines that go to MEPS, take the ASVAB, Physical and ship all during the one or two day period they are there. They didn't return home for any goodbyes or farwell parties, etc.! In reallity that is the best case scenerio for recruits, you want it, you get it, your gone! No time to think and rethink and get corrupted with all the "your crazy as hell" remarks from family and friends back home!

rkidd4
03-11-08, 12:56 PM
Yeah that is ne reason for me wanting to leave sooner than August. All I think about 24/7 now is the Marines. I spend countless hours on this forum and other Marine websites and I know if I do this for the next 5 months Ill probably go crazy lol...not to mention I am getting tired of my roommates and other friends making jokes or trying to convince me not to go.

tyler3442
03-11-08, 01:05 PM
lol i cant even be a poolee yet so i thinkn i am going to go crazy till i can actualy enlist

tyler3442
03-11-08, 01:10 PM
lol

JAG1990tn
03-11-08, 07:19 PM
Yeah that is ne reason for me wanting to leave sooner than August. All I think about 24/7 now is the Marines. I spend countless hours on this forum and other Marine websites and I know if I do this for the next 5 months Ill probably go crazy lol...not to mention I am getting tired of my roommates and other friends making jokes or trying to convince me not to go.

Don't let them get to you man.They are just jeouus because they know deep down the don't have the balls or half of what it takes to ever get to stage one.(MEPS) Little alone go to RT.
The time will pass fast if you focus of getting what you need to do done..Like prepare..PT and study up on history and some of the things you will need.Like, swimming skills.or How to stand at attention..they will teach us all this at PI yet, preparing and knowing half of what you need to know, might take a little attention off of you.Of course everyone is going to go through the grinder.Yet, it never hurt to know more about it.exame yourself.Find a weakness..spend time working on it..
Trust me I know how you feel.I enlisted in Jan,,I ship out in May..I know the feeling. Sucks

KevinR90
03-13-08, 08:10 AM
I knew exactly what this is like. I went through the whole "Can't get my mind off the Marines" thing- but I did, only took about a month/month and a half maybe. It kinda ended soon after going to the museum in Quantico- not that I wasn't motivated by it, just that I had been thinking about it too much.

Now all I do is work out at the YMCA with my recruiter's other poolees twice a week and have an informal pt session on saturdays- which is sometimes an IST and sometimes just pt. Though from what I hear some guys only do the once a month thing- that would suck for me. I think the whole reason I got over thinking about the Marines so much is that i'm around my recruiter and other poolees so often.

Maybe you guys can try it out. Ask your recruiter if you can start doing workouts and stuff- even if he can't because he has no contracts and no appointments (and is getting chewed out by his Gunnery Sergeant)- you can do stuff with just the other poolees. Hopefully the other poolees are as friendly as mine and have room in their life for it.

Oh, and about the friends making jokes..... it shows who your real friends are doesn't it?

rkidd4
03-14-08, 01:38 PM
Yeah they arent very good friends at all...but most of my friends are supporting me at least. Ill definitely ask my recruiter about something like what youre doing. I need something...anything to make the time go by quicker.

Whigwam
03-14-08, 04:27 PM
Now all I do is work out at the YMCA with my recruiter's other poolees twice a week and have an informal pt session on saturdays- which is sometimes an IST and sometimes just pt. Though from what I hear some guys only do the once a month thing- that would suck for me. I think the whole reason I got over thinking about the Marines so much is that i'm around my recruiter and other poolees so often.

Maybe you guys can try it out. Ask your recruiter if you can start doing workouts and stuff- even if he can't because he has no contracts and no appointments (and is getting chewed out by his Gunnery Sergeant)- you can do stuff with just the other poolees. Hopefully the other poolees are as friendly as mine and have room in their life for it.

Oh, and about the friends making jokes..... it shows who your real friends are doesn't it?

Well im in chicago and im 25, its been a brutal winter and the poolees from my neck of the woods arent really into the whole PT thing. maybe being young barely teens has something to do with it. ive been spending my time for the past month and half working out at the gym and doing my last 3 credits needed. It dosent do well to dwell and obsess on anything . good or bad. but i DO agree with an earlier post about using your time in DEP well and bone up on the knowledge you need.

p.s. My EX girlfriend gave me the choice between the marines and her, guess what i chose. friends might tell you you are crazy for doing this and they may still have your best interest at heart, but you are the one who made the choice and swore the oath. if you let them sway you, maybe you DONT have what it takes to be a Marine. (please correct me if im wrong)

rkidd4
03-14-08, 09:38 PM
Please I have everything it takes to become a Marine. Its not like Im getting butt hurt about my friends bugging me about the Marines it just gets old when you hear it 24/7 you know? And obviously Im still choosing the Marines regardless of what my family or friends say/think about it.:evilgrin:

rkidd4
03-15-08, 02:59 PM
O and I forgot to tell you guys what we did Wednesday...Our recruiters had us unofficially sworn in at a Colorado Eagles game (if you guys dont know them they are our semi-pro hockey team). It was at the Budweiser Event Center on center ice and in front of about 10,000 people. Everyone went nuts for us. It made me feel extremely proud of the decision that I made. Just thought Id let you guys know.

yellowwing
03-16-08, 12:39 PM
That is very cool!

waitingtobe
06-09-08, 09:55 AM

Congrats brother! Picked up on the thread a bit late, but hey were shipping on the same date and both to SD. So I guess we could end up in the same platoon. 1/5 chance.

Bonzack
06-09-08, 10:46 AM
Congradulations! I remember being sworn in. I felt important. And grown up. It was awesome. Good luck. =]

mikeab84
06-09-08, 05:17 PM
When I went through MEPS I was soo exhausted (couldn't sleep the night before) I was just happy to get a chance to sleep. When I got home I still couldn't. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

devinrhall
06-09-08, 06:00 PM
i have the exact same ship date as you man...maybe ill see you there. I haven't got my MOS yet...I'm open contract...I'm actually going to the office tomorrow to pick what I want.

kbs95125
06-09-08, 06:35 PM

And Army PT gear..... LCpl Woodal....