PDA

View Full Version : USMC Corporals After Action, Iraq

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-08, 10:00 AM
I'll make this short and sweet. If you want to know what's going on 'over there' and what needs fixin (and what don't) READ THIS. <br />
<br />
If you are getting ready to go 'cross the pond...READ THIS. <br />

DevilDogHEMech
03-04-08, 02:54 PM
Outstanding post. I'm a Cpl about 3 weeks away from starting my second deployment to Anbar Province, this guy is absolutely right. I do like the M203's just fine though, and I got lots of use out of the BFT (though the green circles for IED's are completely useless like he said). Everything else was dead on. I hope that some higher-ups that read this actually pay attention to it. We NCO's are extremely undervalued.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-08, 03:00 PM
You'll be happy to know I have it on good authority that this went to the Commandant's desk.

egbutler1
03-18-08, 03:37 PM
Great post, I couldn't agree more. As a Iraq Veteran and a Corporal squad leader myself he hit all the points just perfect.

Cequel
04-28-08, 09:20 PM
That was the best thing I've read in a long time concerning the need for changes...

hrscowboy
04-28-08, 10:40 PM
Well heres one i think None of you Iraq vets should have had..

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Backblast
06-11-08, 02:39 PM
Amazing post. What an articulate writer. I can tell you put allot of time into this. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of the MK-153 SMAW? I am just curious because I was SMAW gunner during peacetime. I'd be interested in knowing its capability in Iraq.

Semper Fi Marine and thanks!

SgtThrasher
06-11-08, 04:57 PM
You'll be happy to know I have it on good authority that this went to the Commandant's desk.

Thanks Sgt Lep,
Great article by Cpl XXX and I hope the Commandant read his article and will start the
process to make the necessary changes and keep
these type Marines in the US Marine Corps.

Reading the article made me think of the similarities with my Vietnam tour in 68/69.I was
a young Sergeant and section chief of a 8"Howitzer SP gun crew and I ran the show as we didn't have many S/NCO's in the field and had a 1st,LT Platoon Commander who let us operate the guns ,but back in the rear,some Marines were waiting out their tours safe but
close to the brass and after reading the Corporal's article I thought, it's odd after all these years,the more things change,the more they stay the same.This should be required reading before deploying to Iraq and I wish Cpl X
knew how much his words are understood.
S/F,
:iwo:

thewookie
01-02-09, 05:58 PM
Rank is not an indication of talent, and many senior Marines, both enlisted and officer, have confused the two.

Exactly.

Way to finish off a great read.

1topher
01-02-09, 06:16 PM
OPSEC

what ever happened to stfu, girlfriends, wives, friends, family all can get info because of Marines wanting to talk --- when people ask me about the Marine Corps and what we do I tell them we help those that cannot help themselves and thats it, all these young bucks tellin stories that should never be made public. What do SNCO's think about this free flow of information? take the counter point--- what if the enemy comes to leatherneck what info could they gather---- all they could gather from me is im a pain in the ass... think about what you write

DocGreek
01-02-09, 06:33 PM
Sgt Thrasher......When I arrived in RVN, in 69, I was an E-3 Doc. Got to 3rd Med. Bat., and noticed that everyone, above the rank of E-4 there, had NO COMBAT EXPERIENCE! Training, before insertion? I slept in a cot, under a tent, behind the Aid Station, for 2 nights. Then, had to walk, with my worthless gear, a click, to the chopper pad. Me, and 3 other newbies, on a 53, were taken "into the bush"......I, didn't get back to 3rd Med, at Quang Tri, for 46 days. Learned EVERYTHING....the HARD-WAY!! O.J.T. in a combat zone, is just suicide! OR MURDER! Made "my bones", in less than 10 days.....JESUS, HELP US!!! That Corporal, XXX, hit the nail right on the head!!!!! NOTHING HAS CHANGED AFTER 40 YEARS!!....SEMPER FI, BROTHERS....Doc Greek

DocGreek
01-02-09, 06:42 PM
Gentlemen.....PLEASE NOTE 1TOPHER'S PROFILE!! LMAO! TEENAGER, WITH A RIFLE.....GOD HELP US....ALL!!.....SEND HIS AZZ TO ANBAR PROV...........LET'S SEE HOW HE DOES!!......INSULTED, Doc Greek

richerich
01-02-09, 08:41 PM
Hoorah! And why do all the Army guys think Marines are dumb?

1topher
01-02-09, 11:07 PM
while I'm there I'll bring a few of my books along,, Herodotus. The Iliad, Beowulf, The Prince, The Federalist Papers, Two Treatises of Government, The Repbulic. , Robinson Crusoe, Germinal, The Politics and The Nicomachean Ethics.

It is difficult have any intellectual discussions in the Marine Corps when only a few have read "The Classics"

Petz
01-02-09, 11:48 PM
I can tell you that SNCOs and Officers no longer are issued M9s.... they get the smaller M4 (nobody likes them out on patrol like he said)

and some of those other things he mentioned are kinda in the works from what I hear rumored around...

Twitchell
01-05-09, 07:30 PM
FREAKIN OUTSTANDING POST Sgt. Thank you.......

locologe
03-28-09, 06:31 PM
Highly Motivating!
Its born leaders like Cpl. "XXX" That REALLY Make the Marines
Extraordinary!

SSgt Ramsey
03-28-09, 08:02 PM
The sad part is that many of these young Corporal's have done 2, 3, or even 4 tours to Iraq and Afghanistan are simply tired and burned out.

When they do leave the Marine Corps, a lot of their experience from doing this day to day is sadly lost. For every Cpl/Sgt that exits the Marine's, that 4-6 years of experience is lost and must be rebuilt.

I did really well retention wise, but most of my guys I reenlisted were 35XX, 13XX, comm, Intel, and a handfull of others. Most of them would only agree to reenlist for a "chill-out" period, a special duty (MSG), or Latmove. Many I lost simply because they were "tired", and I can't blame them for that.

Achped
03-29-09, 01:02 AM
Hell yeah SSgt, 20110610, I am out and you won't see me back. This is retarded.

Petz
03-29-09, 01:40 AM
now you don't want to re-enlist achped? why not? deployments?

Achped
03-29-09, 03:20 AM
Ive never wanted to reenlist really. It has nothing to do with deployments. In fact I prefer being deployed to being in garrison. I wish I could spend 6 months in Iraq, get 2 weeks leave, 6 months in...

SSgt Ramsey
03-29-09, 06:27 AM
I've seen the civilian world and I've seen the Corps. The grass really is greener on the other side.

Ummmm, look around you or turn on CNN and listen to the employment stats. Many MBA's are out of work now. Many qualified people with serious skills in specialized work can't find jobs. The grass is NOT always greener.

commdog7
03-29-09, 07:39 AM
I find it ironic how Achped is always mentioning how much he hates the Corps, yet he frequents this moto site. I think he enjoys being a Marine. I can see him re-enlisting after 6 months in the civilian world. Rah!

Old Marine
03-29-09, 09:25 AM
I can see that you will never make it in the un-organized and un disiplined civilian world. Six months to a year you will be back on this site asking how you can get back in the corps. <br />
<br />
Yep, you...

Gunner 0313
03-29-09, 10:03 AM
:flag: Good and bad on both sides. There's no where else in the world that at 19yrs of age you can be in charge of a 3/4 of a million dollar vehicle that can reek death and distruction (I was 19yrs...

Achped
03-29-09, 11:04 AM
I can see that you will never make it in the un-organized and un disiplined civilian world. Six months to a year you will be back on this site asking how you can get back in the corps.

Yep, you can tell you boss in the civilian world all those things, the unemployment line is really long these days. In my time in the Corps I saw many with your attitude who ended up living on the streets and in shelters.

So any Marine that gets out won't make it? Or just mine with the attitude that they want to get out? I'm confused. Marines that get out have my attitude. They want to get out. If they didn't they would reenlist. Am I not correct?

My plan has always been to attend college (I've got a free ride to any school in Florida plus the GI bill to use) and then join the ARMY as an officer. Its not like I'd have any problem making it. I'm intelligent, their standards are low, and I can PT.

Call me a non hacker, quitter, whatever. I was going to go army officer to begin with until someone had to push the "well theres a war going on now. Spend 4 years in the Corps or 4 in college, your choice" button. I'm glad I did it though, now I know how absolutely gay life can be sometimes.

"EAS baby you can't stop time, uncle sam's gettin his so I'm gonna get mine. F-USMC you can suck my ***k I can't wait to be another homeboy back on the block..."

Great song.

Commdog, I'm actually secretly moto lol. I do love the Corps and I recognize it as the best fighting force on earth. I love wearing the uniform and love knowing I am the best. But its not for me.

Pete0331
03-29-09, 11:10 AM
There's just way too much stupid BS in the Corps that you dont have to put up with in the civilian world.

It's there, just a different flavor.

Pete0331
03-29-09, 11:14 AM
So any Marine that gets out won't make it? Or just mine with the attitude that they want to get out? I'm confused. Marines that get out have my attitude. They want to get out. If they didn't they would reenlist. Am I not correct?

No, I would have stayed but I needed a break.
Not from the deployments, but from the BS.

My plan has always been to attend college (I've got a free ride to any school in Florida plus the GI bill to use) and then join the ARMY as an officer. Its not like I'd have any problem making it. I'm intelligent, their standards are low, and I can PT.

Yeah, but you have a bullcrap attitude.

Achped
03-29-09, 11:22 AM
Oh Im sure, but no one gives a F*** what Im doing off work, if my chevrons are placed correctly, my belt is the right length, etc etc

commdog7
03-29-09, 11:31 AM
Oh, you are one of them closet moto's!

The Corps is about 'high standards', always has been always will be. The day we lower our standards is the day we become no different than any other branch of service. I just don't understand why most Marines join the Corps for a challenge, yet complain when they get one....

Pete0331
03-29-09, 11:36 AM
I just don't understand why most Marines join the Corps for a challenge, yet complain when they get one....

Most of the Marines that I know that got out left because of the BS and not the challenges.
The micromanaging.

Achped
03-29-09, 11:39 AM
Oh thats a load of crap. A challenge is police calling ROCKS in IRAQ? Thats a challenge?

I dont really see what Im saying any different than what this corporal said. The POG SNCO is what he was saying is getting on his nerves, I work with POG SNCOs all day. Its annoying. It sucks. Marines come in from POEs on the border who havent had a shower in weeks and my SSgt gets on them for having dirty FROG GEAR. ITS A FROG SUIT SSGT, WHAT THE FCK? Whats next, complaining about dirty trucks just in on a convoy? The stupid BS that cpl talks about, its here. We have to wear green on green to pt in Iraq now?? Huh?? Glow straps at night? Just this week Al Asad got STREET LIGHTS. Whats next? No weapons?

Look, like I said. Have your 20 years. Enjoy it. I will PT in whatever I want to PT in, not have to pick up rocks in Iraq and go somewhere that has lower, easier standards and get saluted at the same time.

Sorry to burst the moto bubble, but the Corps sucks.

Achped
03-29-09, 11:41 AM
Most of the Marines that I know that got out left because of the BS and not the challenges.
The micromanaging.

Thats exactly what Im talking about! can you tell im a little irritated at my SNCO right now? Look, Ill get it done. I do every single time Just leave me the hell alone!

SSgt Ramsey
03-29-09, 11:46 AM

Whatever sympathy or respect I had for you is gone....it's YOU and your attitude that sucks Cpl...not the Marine Corps... far too many Marine's have gone before you and paid with their blood and lives to have a attitude like that.

Pete0331
03-29-09, 11:49 AM
Oh thats a load of crap. A challenge is police calling ROCKS in IRAQ? Thats a challenge?

I dont really see what Im saying any different than what this corporal said. The POG SNCO is what he was saying is getting on his nerves, I work with POG SNCOs all day. Its annoying. It sucks. Marines come in from POEs on the border who havent had a shower in weeks and my SSgt gets on them for having dirty FROG GEAR. ITS A FROG SUIT SSGT, WHAT THE FCK? Whats next, complaining about dirty trucks just in on a convoy? The stupid BS that cpl talks about, its here. We have to wear green on green to pt in Iraq now?? Huh?? Glow straps at night? Just this week Al Asad got STREET LIGHTS. Whats next? No weapons?

And here was me mad when the POGs on the FOB's didn't like it if you were Condition 1 inside the wire.

Here's what you do for SNCO's like that, get his name and unit and if you have a good 1stSgt report him. If that doesn't work find an officer you can trust (if such a thing exists) and have him request that his "experience" is required with your unit when you go out.
That usually scares them enough to leave you alone.

Pete0331
03-29-09, 11:52 AM

The Corps doesn't suck, individuals make it that way.

Achped
03-29-09, 12:06 PM
SSgt, I tell it how it is. I'm not going to sugar coat anything or lie. I'm being serious. The Corps right now is blowing for me. I'm under no illusion that a few months from now when Im back in Hawaii I could be loving it. But right now, and for the past year at least, I have hated it. I've done my best, and all it gets me is being the "go-to" guy who gets **** on with all the stupid work. So now I just don't don't give a ****. That's my attitude. I don't give a ****. I know it sucks but thats how it is. I tried for long enough to like it.

You all tell me the Corps is what I make of it. Look, I don't enjoy doing stupid bull****. Maybe you all grew up differently. Maybe you all had to pick up rocks in a combat zone and put them in a pile and get rid of them. Maybe you all had an authority figure in your life snap your finger at you 5 or 6 times a day and say "follow me corporal" so you're used to it. I just don't enjoy it. I don't know what you want me to say SSgt. I hate it. It sucks. Im speaking from first hand experience.

And here was me mad when the POGs on the FOB's didn't like it if you were Condition 1 inside the wire.

Here's what you do for SNCO's like that, get his name and unit and if you have a good 1stSgt report him. If that doesn't work find an officer you can trust (if such a thing exists) and have him request that his "experience" is required with your unit when you go out.
That usually scares them enough to leave you alone.

Im not going to badmouth a SNCO on the internet. I'm smarter than that, but I will say that I like your idea. The micromanaging just absolutely gets under my skin.

Petz
03-29-09, 12:08 PM
I had a wise SSgt tell me when I was a young PFC, if you don't like what you're being told, get promoted. I've attained SSgt, and now I don't have to deal with "retarded" SSgts anymore, generally when they attain the rank of gunny or higher they don't micro-manage because they are in battalion billets and other things to worry about.

Just get promoted and then you won't have to deal with idiots of your current rank.

if you hate the BS so much in the Corps, then become an officer in the Marine Corps and change it, don't be a quitter... make a difference.

Achped
03-29-09, 12:18 PM
I just had a really bad ****ing day today. I'll just stop now.

I like that advice SSgt Petzold, but its a long road to SNCO from my boots. At least 5, 6 years. Its not like I can quit, so we'll see where Im at at my EAS.

Sgt Jim
03-29-09, 12:24 PM
Achped,I work in housing as a maintence super. I have a manager,a regional manager an owner and all his lawers,they all want something done in or on the building or in the apts.have one house keeper,one other maint. tech and my self.the other main tech could not find his way outside with out instructions,useless.Can,t quit because of morgage,new car payment,new motorcycle payment ,and all the other stuff that sucks the money out of my wallet,life on the outside of the Marine Corps isn,t a bowl of cherrys,it really sucks sometimes,i,m not twenty years old any more and the company want everything done now.enough of my *****ing,best stay where you are,Semper Fi Marine

commdog7
03-29-09, 12:57 PM
the Corps sucks.

You can just do what I did and drown your hatred with motivation! :yes:

I've been in your shoes so many times. From raking sand to 'beautification' projects to the dreaded inventories (massive). I have had so many sh!tty leaders that I should be counting down the hours to my EAS, but I'm not. If you ain't motivated, then fake it. I brainwashed myself to believe that being a Marine is the greatest thing in the world, and it worked. Most Marines hate going to the field, but I just tell myself how much I love it and anticipate the next field exercise, and it works. I look forward to gaining a rank where I do not have to deal with all the little BS. And in the end, all this little BS actually makes some pretty good stories. I can laugh about having to rake sand and feel like a tough Marine for doing so. The Corps is what you make of it. Just because you are in a sh!tty situation, doesn't mean that you have to hate it.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Petz
03-29-09, 02:12 PM
well achped, as I mentioned you can also goto school and become an officer in the Corps... MUSTANG!!

there's also a mustang association you can join.

anyways look into the MECEP program, the Corps will pay for you to goto school and when you're done you get commissioned as a 2nd luey... a butter bar.... yeah that's all I got on junior officers.

anyways, attempt that route before you decide to get out and be forced to work while attending school... at least in the MECEP program you can focus everything on studying... well during the weekdays, then you get to party on the weekends!

I found out that you need to goto a school that has a Navy/Marine Corps ROTC program, and you just have to check in with the OIC whenever it is he says... generally weekly. Best thing is, you don't have to get in uniform or do the ROTC events.

so what's better than getting Sgt pay of 2500 base, BAH for the area and having your tuition paied for???? well all the college girls you get to talk up and impress with your "war" stories!!

keep in mind you qualify as a first term Cpl but you'll need an officer or two to write a letter of recommendation when you submit your request... and the sooner the better so you don't have to do a few extensions to wait for your response.

and if you are wondering about if they'll accept you... I don't know.

FistFu68
03-29-09, 02:37 PM
:evilgrin: You were whining before you went into tha CROTCH,you think Your the only bastard thats been 2 WAR,its all YOU BRAGG about.DAMM Marine I was A Cpl 3x's. Had more azzholes SNCO'S than a toilet seat on an Aircraft Carrier.Suc it up and QUIT fucing WHINING,you go in as a officer 2ND LT.your gonna have Gunnys riding You worst that a fucing Bulldog in heat or You'll end Up getting Fragged!!!:evilgrin: :iwo:

Old Marine
03-29-09, 03:15 PM
You haveit right FISTFU68. All this guy does is whine and cry about something. The Corps will be much better off without this slacker.

FistFu68
03-29-09, 03:32 PM
:evilgrin: Well i'll be dammed Gunny YOU @ I finally agreed on sumthing Heres 2 YA Semper~Fidelis :beer: :iwo:

Achped
03-30-09, 12:13 AM
:evilgrin: You were whining before you went into tha CROTCH,you think Your the only bastard thats been 2 WAR,its all YOU BRAGG about.DAMM Marine I was A Cpl 3x's. Had more azzholes SNCO'S than a toilet seat on an Aircraft Carrier.Suc it up and QUIT fucing WHINING,you go in as a officer 2ND LT.your gonna have Gunnys riding You worst that a fucing Bulldog in heat or You'll end Up getting Fragged!!!:evilgrin: :iwo:

And you still got out a private, what does that say about YOU? Yeah I whine, but everyone I've talked to says a complaining Marine is a happy Marine. You act like I'm ****ed that I'm went "2 WAR", if you even read what I wrote I ENJOY Iraq. A slacker? Hardly. I do what I'm told and do it well, if I wasn't, I would be, guess what? A private.

None of you work with me so don't act like you do. I'm sorry I tell it how it is, that the Corps can be utterly stupid at times, maybe you've all been out so long that you've forgotten. Or maybe you liked stupid the stupid BS. Who knows?

Pete0331
03-30-09, 01:44 AM
And you still got out a private, what does that say about YOU? Yeah I whine, but everyone I've talked to says a complaining Marine is a happy Marine. You act like I'm ****ed that I'm went "2 WAR", if you even read what I wrote I ENJOY Iraq. A slacker? Hardly. I do what I'm told and do it well, if I wasn't, I would be, guess what? A private.

None of you work with me so don't act like you do. I'm sorry I tell it how it is, that the Corps can be utterly stupid at times, maybe you've all been out so long that you've forgotten. Or maybe you liked stupid the stupid BS. Who knows?

There is a difference between complaining to a group of peers within your pay grade, and doing it on the internet where all ranks see and comment.
Doing so does not inspire confidence in the NCO Corps or the individual wearing the rank.

You spout off on an open forum then get ****ed when someone has a different opinion.

Go out there, endure, and have fun while you still can in the Marine Corps.

FistFu68
03-30-09, 08:34 AM
:evilgrin: Actually I got out as a Decorated PFC,You want sum Cheese w/that Whine War Hero,You couldn't wipe tha fudge outta my skivves on Your best day YOU frigging cry baby BOOT!!! :D :iwo:

Gunner 0313
03-30-09, 09:04 AM
I Call Attention WHOR E !!!

Achped
03-30-09, 09:44 AM
I call motards...

Pete, I dont get upset at the comments. I'm a big boy and I can handle getting called a turd by Marines who have never met me. What upsets me is the blindness by Marines who have obviously been there and done that. At times the Corps freaking sucks more than anything else. A civilian job won't put you in a fighting hole in the freezing cold for some bs exercise or in a situation where you may have to fight for your life. The Corps does, and it sucks. If they enjoy doing that, good, thats why they reenlisted. I however, don't enjoy doing that. So I'm getting out. And that somehow makes me a turd? Thats what these guys don't get. Its like if you don't reenlist, you're a ****ty Marine and are going to end up homeless. Millions of veterans have successful lives after the military. To hear someone say I'm going to end up homeless is laughable. Maybe if I was stupid I would...but so far the only stupidity showing in my life is signing on the dotted line.

Its been fun though. Like you said, I'll enjoy my time in the Corps and hopefully like commdog said be able to look back and laugh at picking up rocks or raking sand. (I've done that too) But right now I'm not laughing, and $33,500 still won't make me change my mind. I want to sleep in until noon on the weekends and get my long surfer hair back, and I want to be able to go to the store and tell some irritable 50 year old dickhead to go **** himself without him questioning me and going to my chain of command.

Old Marine
03-30-09, 10:00 AM
I call motards...

Pete, I dont get upset at the comments. I'm a big boy and I can handle getting called a turd by Marines who have never met me. What upsets me is the blindness by Marines who have obviously been there and done that. At times the Corps freaking sucks more than anything else. A civilian job won't put you in a fighting hole in the freezing cold for some bs exercise or in a situation where you may have to fight for your life. The Corps does, and it sucks. If they enjoy doing that, good, thats why they reenlisted. I however, don't enjoy doing that. So I'm getting out. And that somehow makes me a turd? Thats what these guys don't get. Its like if you don't reenlist, you're a ****ty Marine and are going to end up homeless. Millions of veterans have successful lives after the military. To hear someone say I'm going to end up homeless is laughable. Maybe if I was stupid I would...but so far the only stupidity showing in my life is signing on the dotted line.

Its been fun though. Like you said, I'll enjoy my time in the Corps and hopefully like commdog said be able to look back and laugh at picking up rocks or raking sand. (I've done that too) But right now I'm not laughing, and $33,500 still won't make me change my mind. I want to sleep in until noon on the weekends and get my long surfer hair back, and I want to be able to go to the store and tell some irritable 50 year old dickhead to go **** himself without him questioning me and going to my chain of command.

OK, you made your coffee stop at the Marine Corps, but you really havent been around long enough to understand what the Marine Corps is about. The very best thing you can do is go away. Don't go away mad, just go away. The Corps will survive without your comments. On the other hand I doubt that you will.

Achped
03-30-09, 03:21 PM
You know, today I'm having a good day and I just watched Taking Chance... that motivated me...it motivated me in a way that I should do my best and stay in for Marines just like him.

You know alot of you have me mistaken as a turd and ****bag who isn't proud to be a United States Marine. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I just get sick of all the BULL****, and theres just so much of it! And salty SNCOs being so moto and irritable don't make it any better.

But like the SSgt said, get promoted.

SlingerDun
03-30-09, 04:34 PM
A civilian job won't put you in a fighting hole in the freezing cold for some bs exercise or in a situation where you may have to fight for your lifeYes it will it can it does and you can get fired lickety split. Make sure you're educated and paid well.

--->Dave

Buckeye
03-30-09, 05:01 PM
Maybe You Should Of Joined The Girl Scouts...freaken Cry Baby!!!! What The **** Did You Think You Would Be Doin? You Probably Expected A Rose Garden!!

Achped
03-30-09, 11:21 PM
Nah, just less idiots.

Petz
03-31-09, 01:03 AM
it's really not so bad... wait until you meet the idiots in the civilian world... I got out after my first 4 and now I'm trying to get back in.

I feel it wasn't worth it, though I got out for family starting reasons I was also influenced by the bureaucracy of the leadership... I don't role like that..

just keep in mind that your unit is what sucks (I did 27 days in hawaii) and I can tell you, it's not pendleton out there... try to transfer to another unit at another duty station and see how a second tour goes before you continue calling every Marine an idiot... I know there are a lot of them who got in as a 17 yo sh!t nugget and is now your SSgt, but just learn to cope with it and blow it off somehow (don't go kissing men like accord) and you see it's not so bad.

Achped
03-31-09, 01:17 AM
SSgt I really dont think all Marines are idiots, sure there are some, but thats anywhere you go in life. Alot of the stuff I say here, especially in this thread, is just to ruffle feathers. Some of these gentlemen are so into the Corps, I kind of getting a kick telling them how it really is for a Marine on the ground in Iraq. Its like their love for the Corps they were in 30 years ago during Vietnam blinds them to the ugly truth that sometimes the Corps really blows. Thats what drives me crazy. They went through the same stuff I did, and I know they hated it, but somehow I'm a turd for stating it. Big deal! I tell it how it is.

I want to say I appreciate Marines like you and commdog and even Pete who have given me advice. Honestly...if I loved the Marine Corps all the time, I would think there was something wrong with me. I've never seen someone enjoy it all the time. Its a "Love to hate it" type thing.

Petz
03-31-09, 01:35 AM
well most of these old-timers as you state "...blinds them to the ugly truth...." well it's probably because after 30 years they only remember the great times they had because not only is their memory failing (you guys knew that was coming!! Semper Fi) but they more than likely put a mental block on the crap, especially after all the other pain and missery they might have encountered since those times.

You state YOUR facts and feelings just as many other Devil Dogs do on this site, it's just dishearting for many of these old salts to hear their Corps talker poorly about when it's improved so dramatically compared to their time... they were in vietnam with those old flak jackets (I had one for 3 years before I got a new one) and a new kevlar that weighed about 15lbs... we got tons (literally) of gear and a 4lb kevlar.

we can have a bullet hit our chest a classified number of times before it breaks through the sapi plate, they died.

we have it so much better than them, and this is why they don't like to hear these things. If you can be understanding of this kind of stuff you'll understand they don't really mean too much by it.

also I hate that you are so close to me in post count... I'm going to have to redouble my efforts!!!

FutureMarine089
03-31-09, 10:56 PM
Long, but it was really good! :)

Old Marine
04-02-09, 03:13 PM
You know, today I'm having a good day and I just watched Taking Chance... that motivated me...it motivated me in a way that I should do my best and stay in for Marines just like him.

You know alot of you have me mistaken as a turd and ****bag who isn't proud to be a United States Marine. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I just get sick of all the BULL****, and theres just so much of it! And salty SNCOs being so moto and irritable don't make it any better.

SALTY SNCO's. I would guess that I am one of those since I did my 20 years and retired and have been out in this sad civilian world now for 36 years and its not getting any better.

Sonny, when I was in the Corps, you would not have lasted or made it through Boot Camp, let alone the Fleet. Your right civilian life is your calling and you will fit right in with their cluster fvck. Have fun.

Achped
04-03-09, 02:20 AM
Well those days are over Gunnery Sergeant and today everyone I work with seems to think I'm doing a pretty damn good job. In fact, after this deployment I'm going to be the chief of my section. I guess things back in the day were easier and no one *****ed back then.

Semper Fi

BR34
04-03-09, 04:44 PM
Irony: This thread taking place in the 'Marine Inspirational Stories' subforum.

DataRetread
04-03-09, 11:46 PM

I knew PFC Phelps, he was part of the ADC's Jump team with me. Phelps was a locked on kid who died on the trigger.

I personally wouldn't want somebody with a foul attitude like you tarnishing his name by association.

If you want to become a better Marine, do it for yourself. Impressing others shouldn't be a priority for any Marine.

Achped
04-04-09, 09:33 AM
Foul attitude? ***** please...

Whats up with improving myself on being a Marine? So because I hate the stupid BS it means I'm bad at it? Sadly, I am good at doing bull****, like signing my name on "I won't provide alcohol to minors" forms and getting to formation 15 prior to 15 prior to 15 prior to 15 prior, and saying "Aye (insert higher rank)" when told to do something like police call rocks, and running PFTs.

Maybe if I were dumber I would like the Corps more, or if I had no other options. I don't know why people stay in. The Army is there, the Army pays, and the Army is easy.

Petz
04-04-09, 09:40 AM
let's not go insulting people who like the Marine Corps achped.

I understand your feelings about the political BS of rank and it's "special" structure... however, there are lots of good Marines out there who would like to see their Junior Marines succeed in the Corps and as a civilian. I for one try to get the apprenticeship program started on as many Marines as I can so they can have a journeyman's card when they decide to get out of the Corps. I work with Marines who have issues, and the only time I make dumb sh!t up is when Marines can't follow instructions and need to be reminded by his/her fellow Marines not to screw up or games will ensue for everyone.

I think you would make a great leader if you chose to stay in, the Corps needs less of your leadership and more of Marines who care and don't find petty crap for Marines to do just to make them selves feel better.

Achped
04-04-09, 09:57 AM
Why not SSgt? Everyone insults me because I don't like the Corps. As far as I'm concerned I'm the normal one. Anyone who likes this must either be in some skate unit who doesn't do jack, been out for a million years and forgot all the dumb ****, or straight retarded.

I try not to get personal but damn, just because I hate raking sand doesn't mean I'm bad at being a Marine.

SSgt Ramsey
04-04-09, 10:07 AM
It's comments like that that get you pummeled Cpl...

You act like NONE of us ever had to do stupid **** and you're somwehow singled out in being a Cpl. You aren't special.

Deal with it or get out.

You've been in a relatively short time. Your comments remind me of those of both PFC's and LCpl's at times....woe is me...as a leader of Marine's, you have to first become a good follower....by your posts you overthink everything that you are told to do or to have done. It is what it is...

I wonder if your troops follow you out of respect for your rank and you or just morbid curiosity what the hell you're gonna do next....

Being a Marine isn't easy..if it were, everybody would be one...but it's not, and we're like maybe 1% or less of the TOTAL number of US Armed Forces for a reason. We're different. You must have seen something in the Marine's that you wanted to be a part of or you never would have joined.

You keep citing the Army...from everything I've seen of them they are a pathetic lot overall. My pride would never allow me to ever consider the Army as a career.

Petz
04-04-09, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't even consider joining the Army even if the Marines wouldn't let me re-enlist...ever.

I'd let my military career end with the Marines.

Achped
04-04-09, 02:25 PM
Haha, you have no idea SSgt Ramsey. I'd love to tell you all the intricate details of what goes on, but I don't want the SNCO club here to get back to my SNCO club and show them what good 'ole motivated Achped said about one of their own.

I'll just say that I don't make decisions, in fact, I don't do anything. I don't have to. SSgt says get the hallway swept, next thing I know he's doing it himself. SSgt says police call the area, he's doing it with some random PFC, SSgt says clean the heads, I go in there to **** and he's doing it.

On second thought, why am I complaining? Micromanaging is great!

Deal with it or get out? That's exactly what we're doing, getting out! Every single Marine I work with that EAS'd last year, this year, or next year.

I'm done with this thread though, not because you all are winning or convincing me on how awesome the corps is and ****. But because I dont want to get too carried away and dime someone out and have it get back to me.

Old Marine
04-04-09, 05:29 PM
The Army is waiting for you. In the Army they think that "Police Call" means dialing 911. You really have a lot to learn about military life in general. If and when you become a shave tail you will be in deep ****. Some Army specialist will be telling you what to do, and will probably be calling you by your first name. You can always tell the Army guys sea stories about when you used to be a big bad Marine and had to rake sand and police rocks.

FistFu68
04-04-09, 07:10 PM
:usmc: Don't let tha' Hatch hit Ya where tha' good LORD split on tha' out way out CRY BABY :cry::banana: