PDA

View Full Version : Well...I may become a man yet.

PainForPleasure
03-02-08, 11:18 PM
Not to start a sob story or any of that, but I'm finally ready to step into becoming a man and taking full responsibility of life. I've had quite a rough upbringing and just lacked all motivation after dropping out of high school in my last year there. I'm 22 years old and turn 23 this month, pretty old as far as recruits go, but I am ready for all that awaits me at Parris Island. I just wanted to post this thread to gauge some of the Marines that visit the POOLee board on how and what the Marine Corps did for them in their term whether it be 4 years or even more. I wanted something to live and breathe for, and that is why I chose to be a recruit headed on my way to PI at the end of this month.

Much respect to every Marine that replies. Thanks a load.

davblay
03-03-08, 01:41 AM
Not to start a sob story or any of that, but I'm finally ready to step into becoming a man and taking full responsibility of life. I've had quite a rough upbringing and just lacked all motivation after dropping out of high school in my last year there. I'm 22 years old and turn 23 this month, pretty old as far as recruits go, but I am ready for all that awaits me at Parris Island. I just wanted to post this thread to gauge some of the Marines that visit the POOLee board on how and what the Marine Corps did for them in their term whether it be 4 years or even more. I wanted something to live and breathe for, and that is why I chose to be a recruit headed on my way to PI at the end of this month.

Much respect to every Marine that replies. Thanks a load.

First of all congratulations on making that decision, but why did oyu not finish school? Ask anything you want to know but use the search button to check the forums first.

Dave

Covey_Rider
03-03-08, 05:50 AM
I as well congratulate you on your decision. Did you go back and get your HS diploma or an equivalent? If not then you may have some troubles enlisting. Fire away with any questions that you have...if it seems like a question that may have been asked before then please use the search bar so that we don't have to cover popular topics over and over again. We are here to help you out in anyway we can.

Old Marine
03-03-08, 08:27 AM
I get so damn tired of people thinking that going to Marine Corps Boot Camp will turn them into men. To become men, you first have to have certain qualities. When I was training recruits, parents used to come to me at graduation before they saw their son and they would ask "Did You Make A Man Out Of My Son", my standard answer was "It is very hard, in 13 weeks to take out what was put into him at home in 17/18 years." But we did our best.

SGT7477
03-03-08, 08:55 AM
Very true Gunny the Marine Corp. can't do it all.

PainForPleasure
03-03-08, 11:17 AM
First of all congratulations on making that decision, but why did oyu not finish school? Ask anything you want to know but use the search button to check the forums first.

Dave
I went back last year and got my GED. I had to quit school because my mother had a stroke. I was working 70+ hours a week to make sure we still had a roof over our heads. Just could not sit in school while my family needed me. I swore in last Sunday at MEPS here in Raleigh and have gotten my MOS which I'm satisfied with. I am so eager to go ahead and go to Parris Island.

PainForPleasure
03-03-08, 11:20 AM
I get so damn tired of people thinking that going to Marine Corps Boot Camp will turn them into men. To become men, you first have to have certain qualities. When I was training recruits, parents used to come to me at graduation before they saw their son and they would ask "Did You Make A Man Out Of My Son", my standard answer was "It is very hard, in 13 weeks to take out what was put into him at home in 17/18 years." But we did our best.

I do not mean that I am some punk teenager that has shirked all responsibility I have ever had, I have lived on my own and gotten up every morning for work and provided for myself and others. I'm very dependable when it comes to taking responsibility...BUT...I just do not feel like I have accomplished anything in my life worth accomplishing yet. I want to serve my country and make the few that know me proud.

SGT7477
03-03-08, 12:04 PM
There is nothing wrong with that goal but the Gunny speaks the truth.

RockSteady85
03-03-08, 12:23 PM
Live to the DIs expectations of being better than you thought you could ever be. Boot camp would humble even Donald Trump.

jetdoc
03-03-08, 01:55 PM
I went back last year and got my GED. I had to quit school because my mother had a stroke. I was working 70+ hours a week to make sure we still had a roof over our heads. Just could not sit in school while my family needed me. I swore in last Sunday at MEPS here in Raleigh and have gotten my MOS which I'm satisfied with. I am so eager to go ahead and go to Parris Island.

What MOS did you get? Good for you trying to make a change in your life and it will FOR SURE be a big change for you Jason. If you dropped out of school for those reasons then you will make a fine Marine one day, IMO.

Your moms will be proud as will the rest of your family.

PainForPleasure
03-03-08, 09:56 PM
I chose Ammo Tech / EOD. I always have wanted to do Infantry and be at the forefront of everything combat related. But decided I would rather work with my intelligence a little bit ( not to say grunts are not intelligent ) and do something that is very sorely needed for our grunts, disarming and neutralizing IED's and the like.

ttracker65
03-04-08, 01:26 AM
Congratulations on your decision. You may want to take a peek a the Black Rifle Post. There is some information about the field your are interested in in my last post.

SlingerDun
03-04-08, 02:28 AM
...BUT...I just do not feel like I have accomplished anything in my life worth accomplishing yet....The accomplishments that are missing tend to be the bi-product of great sacrifice and risk as opposed to daily chores with predictable results in a casual existence. At times you're snatched away along for the ride trying to survive, a control freaks nightmare, but what a ride! like a tail hold on a Buffalo, the only thing shorter is that of a Grizzly.

If you know you can accomplish something even when many doubt, the finish is sweet but not as rewarding as starting out scared and uncertain as to how you may succeed. If at all? It's about yourself, not 'them' and when you really start to learn about yourself, sometimes its inspiring and sometimes it stings, but always enlightening. You'll always be you, and if that person is a man someday YOU will know it.

--->Dave

jetdoc
03-04-08, 08:57 PM
I chose Ammo Tech / EOD. I always have wanted to do Infantry and be at the forefront of everything combat related. But decided I would rather work with my intelligence a little bit ( not to say grunts are not intelligent ) and do something that is very sorely needed for our grunts, disarming and neutralizing IED's and the like.

Sounds like it should be a blast, (sorry couldn't help it).

Goodluck and keep us updated on your quest.

Phantom Blooper
03-05-08, 04:25 AM
I'm glad this isn't a sob :cry: story on this Poolee Forum. I don't know how many more I can respond to with out getting depressed myself! ROTFLMAO!

Goodluck to you on your chosen path!:evilgrin:

PainForPleasure
03-05-08, 12:34 PM
I'm glad this isn't a sob :cry: story on this Poolee Forum. I don't know how many more I can respond to with out getting depressed myself! ROTFLMAO!

Goodluck to you on your chosen path!:evilgrin:

Fear is a habit, so is self-pity, defeat, anxiety, despair, hopelessness and resignation. I can eliminate all of these negative habits with two simple resolves...I can and I will.

That's what has gotten me through alot of stuff in my life.