PDA

View Full Version : Retired Realtor awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross

thedrifter
03-02-08, 01:40 PM
Retired Realtor awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross
-
Article Launched: 03/01/2008 04:06:57 AM PST

Thanks to the research efforts of friends Jim Gilbank and Ken Diamond, J. Paul Davis was recently decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross for his "undaunted courage, superb airmanship and unyielding devotion to duty in the face of hazardous flying conditions" in January and February of 1944.

In a backyard Santa Cruz ceremony attended by friends, family and 14 Marines from the San Jose First Beach and Terminal Operations Company, Paul also received an Air Medal for his aerial efforts to rout out the Japanese from their base in Rabaul, New Guinea, between October 1943 and May 1944.

"My friends were searching through stuff I had lying around and found a letter of recommendation for the Flying Cross from my squadron commander," Paul said.

Curious about it, Jim and Ken contacted Congressman Sam Farr's office and, documents in hand, petitioned the Marine Corps for the award on Paul's behalf.

A bomber who served in the Marines from 1943-1946, Paul doesn't remember receiving his commander's letter of recommendation but he does remember the long months when Marine Torpedo Bombing Squadrons 143 and 232 tried to dislodge the Japanese.

"It went on for months," he said. "It was a dangerous war. I remember after my second tour, I was the only one left in our six-man tent."

Now retired from real estate, Paul the father of Paula Mahoney and Phil Davis -- spends his days playing cards on the Internet and smoking cigars, a habit he began the same year he enlisted in the Marines.

Although he's now 84, Paul won't soon forget his medals.

"First the Marines sat around and had coffee. Then they were called to formation and everybody stood at attention while one guy read the citation and another pinned the medal on me," he said.

Paul keeps his own dress uniform in a drawer.

"The only part that still fits is my cap," he quipped.

Ellie