PDA

View Full Version : Migraines

P8ntballmaniac5
03-01-08, 09:50 PM
Ok So here is the thing..I had migraines when I was a lot younger when I was like 10-11sh and my last one was around 13 or 14. I went to MEPS in December and on the advice of my recruiter as well as...

Braden
03-01-08, 09:55 PM
As I understand it, unless it has changed, migraines are disqualifying.

Wyoming
03-01-08, 10:37 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

There is only one person that will get a FD.

YOU!!!!

Do you still have migraines? Can you prove your reply/

P8ntballmaniac5
03-01-08, 11:03 PM
I know that it was not a good thing to do but I've been looking FD up and stuff and yeah its something I dont want to risk.. But no I haven't had a migraine in 5+ years..the reason I didn't say anything to begin with was because my Neurologist that I had..I got in touch with him before I went to the recruiter to get started with joining told me to not tell them..I screwed that up but I just want to be a Marine and don't want to risk anything so I'll tell MEPS. I read that since its been so long I can get a waiver for it so it isn't disqualifying as far as I know..I could be wrong.

BlindZeal08
03-02-08, 12:02 AM
Rule number 1 that your recruiter obviously needs to go over with you again:

No one else is your friend except your recruiter.

If you want to be a Marine, stfu and be a Marine. If you want to get your recruiter jailed and you don't want to be a Marine start talking at MEPs.

BlindZeal08
03-02-08, 03:26 AM
Don't get scared. If they kicked out every single person in the Marine Corps for hidden stuff that people covered up or lied about or simply forgot about there would be like 100 people in the Marine Corps.

Brandon1
03-02-08, 03:29 AM
I get headaches. I've gotten them since I was 4 years old and still get them to this day. They dont bother me as much as migranes but I get them everyday or close to it. Not the same situation I know but still lol.

jchretien
03-02-08, 03:55 AM
all true. stfu and become a Marine.

Phantom Blooper
03-02-08, 04:55 AM
BY THE #'s <br />
<br />
1.) TELL MEPS IF YOU HAD A PAST MEDICAL PROBLEM. <br />
<br />
2.)IF YOU SKIRT OR BS AND SLIP THROUGH THE CRACK IT MADE BE CONSTITUTED AS FRAUDULENT ENLISTMENT. <br />
<br />
3.)HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY! ...

RockSteady85
03-02-08, 06:23 AM
There was a girl in FRP who lied and said she had migraines just so she could go home. They took care of her pretty fast, I'll tell you what. I would suggest telling whomever it is that will be there for the Moment of Truth about your migraines. It happens in one of your first days on the RD just for things like this.

Marine84
03-02-08, 06:58 AM
Be up front about it from the get go. After that, you never have to worry about it coming up later unless, of course, you should start having them again. You wouldn't want a fraud enlistment on your record.

Motto Poolee
03-02-08, 07:57 AM
I get headaches. I've gotten them since I was 4 years old and still get them to this day. They dont bother me as much as migranes but I get them everyday or close to it. Not the same situation I know but still lol.

x2 I get them everyday almost all day. Its not close to a migraine, I can do everything to, function, workout, focus. Whatever though, is what I said. I want to be a Marine so bad, and Im not going to let a stupid headache hold me back. The way I see it is, nobody can tell you have a headache, and if somebody asks you, you can easily say no.

shpdt080701
03-02-08, 09:27 AM
I got sent home on the 8th for Migraines. And I don't even have them...very long story. Migraines with AURA(I have had that before and it sucks major ass) I'm going back though.

But yeah if you don't have migraines anymore, don't bother saying anything. And don't ever say you have migraines(in training), you WILL be sent home unless you find a doc that willl give you the choice to stay or not but that's a crap shoot.

Just my $0.02.

Dan

Motto Poolee
03-02-08, 09:49 AM
I got sent home on the 8th for Migraines. And I don't even have them...very long story. Migraines with AURA(I have had that before and it sucks major ass) I'm going back though.

But yeah if you don't have migraines anymore, don't bother saying anything. And don't ever say you have migraines(in training), you WILL be sent home unless you find a doc that willl give you the choice to stay or not but that's a crap shoot.

Just my $0.02.

Dan

Screw that, Im not saying anything hurts at boot. If I want the title bad enough, ill just have to suck it up.

TSchultz
03-02-08, 11:00 AM
Paintballmaniac.

If you go to MEPS and you give them new information on your medical history that was not documented by your recruiter, the physician there will call up your recruiter and make him scramble to get those medical records for him, lots of paper work to be done in very little time and that will **** off your recruiter.

If you give them new information at MEPS that is grounds for disqualification, they will disqualify you, that is their job.

If you do not tell anyone at MEPS and then inform your recruiter after you are in the DEP, you will have an easier time working through it with your recruiter and you may be able to get a waiver or something.

This was my understanding from what my recruiter told me right before I left for MEPS. I made the mistake of adding in the information that I am allergic to pertussis and it almost got me DQ'ed. Luckily the doc let it fly and didnt make a big deal about it.

Be honest about it, but in your situation, be honest to your recruiter after you get through MEPS and he'll take care of you.

davblay
03-02-08, 11:30 AM
You have had 14 replies to this question, Most from Poolees suggesting that you lie or not tell them at MEPS! I realize that POOLEES are experts in enlistment procedures, but I also know, as a...

SGT7477
03-02-08, 11:45 AM
When the DI starts hollering his ass off you will forget about the pain.

P8ntballmaniac5
03-02-08, 12:28 PM
You have had 14 replies to this question, Most from Poolees suggesting that you lie or not tell them at MEPS! I realize that POOLEES are experts in enlistment procedures, but I also know, as a recruiter myself, that if you fail to disclose anything like that, it becomes a paperwork nightmare! Every recruiter wants every person to pass MEPS, but no recruiter wants to get that call from MEPS when something like this pops up!

You are not doing anyone a favor by hiding anything at MEPS, if it shows up later, you will wish that hell would open up and swallow you! The cost, alone, is out of the roof to examine you people anyway, so why make that price tag go up, hoping that they won't find out? No one likes a liar, and the recruiter will not send you to MEPS until all the paper work is done, waivers and all. Don't rush into something that will/could affect you for the rest of your life! It ain't worth it! If you do this, and you decide that you want to go home, after you get to the Depot, then......well....you see what I mean!

As I used to tell all my prospects, "tell everything, no matter how small or insignificate it may seem. They will determine what action to take, if any"! Don't listen to the other Poolees, they don't know anymore than you do, talk to your recruiter BEFORE you go to MEPS!

That is good sound advise!

Dave

Well, here is the thing on this.. I already went to MEPS and got sworn in and my recruiter knew that I had Migraines and my whole history with them. He is the one that told me to just check no on the "Have you ever had Migraines" and also to not tell them that I have had them. And I know I should have just been honest.. now... but I didn't really think it was a probelm til I got home and then a week or so later got nervous so I looked up FD and saw a bunch of stuff. I haven't had Migraines in like 5 years and I'm not afraid of having one because I won't get one and there is no way I'm using that as an excuse to go home when I get on the Island. But that is what my recruiter specifically told me to say at MEPS, and the only thing I don't want to happen is for me to get a FD and not be able to be a Marine. But, thank you for all the replies.

Wyoming
03-02-08, 12:33 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

There is only one person that will get a FD.

YOU!!!!

As Dave said, you have had numerous replies.

You do not tend to listen.

I'm outta here on this one!!!

P8ntballmaniac5
03-02-08, 12:41 PM
No, I am trying to listen my question is when should I bring it up that I didn't disclose this information. I'm not going to tell them my recruiter told me to say no but I am going to go back to MEPS to clear it up. But should I just go now or go before I ship out at the last call or whatever it is?

usmchauer
03-02-08, 12:49 PM
I would RUN to your recruiter, no one else, and tell him that you want to have it documented.

BlindZeal08
03-02-08, 01:13 PM
I would suggest telling whomever it is that will be there for the Moment of Truth about your migraines. It happens in one of your first days on the RD just for things like this.

......Yah do that if you want to get your recruiter jailed and you don't want to be a Marine.

RockSteady85
03-02-08, 02:24 PM
......Yah do that if you want to get your recruiter jailed and you don't want to be a Marine.
No, I was there and have been through it, and the reason they do that is so that they can get you the waivers you need in order to stay. They already paid a sh*tload of money to ship you to PI and start your training with your reserved spot. Plus, who said you had to say whether or not your recruiter told you to lie or not? I got up at the moment of truth about when I was arrested back in September of 2007. I told the USMC liason at MEPS about it but wanted to make sure it was documented. There was one kid who actually didn't tell MEPS about his migraines but he managed to get a waiver and that was the end of it - he went to training. How do I know this? I shipped out with him from my MEPS and kept in contact with him. It's not that serious.

Motto Poolee
03-02-08, 03:59 PM
Does anybody know if the skin Disease Eczema would get be thrown out? Its not a bad case, but I do have it and need to moisterize the spots. I said no on the form because I didn't want to make a fuss about it. Anybody have this skin problem thats in?

P8ntballmaniac5
03-02-08, 06:53 PM
No, I was there and have been through it, and the reason they do that is so that they can get you the waivers you need in order to stay. They already paid a sh*tload of money to ship you to PI and start your training with your reserved spot. Plus, who said you had to say whether or not your recruiter told you to lie or not? I got up at the moment of truth about when I was arrested back in September of 2007. I told the USMC liason at MEPS about it but wanted to make sure it was documented. There was one kid who actually didn't tell MEPS about his migraines but he managed to get a waiver and that was the end of it - he went to training. How do I know this? I shipped out with him from my MEPS and kept in contact with him. It's not that serious.

That was helpful..when do they have the moment of truth or whatever it is.... on the island when you are in processing?

Brandon1
03-02-08, 07:33 PM
I think, (I'm not sure dont quote me) it's right before you ship, but again I am not sure.

RockSteady85
03-02-08, 08:45 PM
That was helpful..when do they have the moment of truth or whatever it is.... on the island when you are in processing?

If I recall correctly it is the first full day you are there when they have the Moment of Truth. Take that opportunity to own up or else remember your lie for your entire military career.

semperfi170
03-02-08, 10:29 PM

There has been outstanding advice posted here by Marines that have been there done that, and also have been on recruiting duty. BlindZeal08, you may consider yourself a Marine Friend, but you need to listen also! You have not been there done that! I truly believe it should be done correctly and the recruiter should document it. INTEGRITY is important, and I believe he should go back to his recruiter and tell him he is not comfortable with omitting the information about his past history of migraines.

INTEGRITY, INTEGRITY INTEGRITY!!!!!!

Twehman
03-03-08, 01:36 AM
I will throw this in this thread since it fits...

When I went to MEPS and they asked me if I have ever had chickenpox I said no(I dont ever remember having them, didnt want to say yes and lie about it). Turns out I have had them, if I disclose this at the"MOment of truth" will there be any reprecussions for it?

davblay
03-03-08, 01:46 AM
I will throw this in this thread since it fits...

When I went to MEPS and they asked me if I have ever had chickenpox I said no(I dont ever remember having them, didnt want to say yes and lie about it). Turns out I have had them, if I disclose this at the"MOment of truth" will there be any reprecussions for it?

I wouldn't think so unless they caused you physical harm in some way that you haven't out grown!

Dave

P8ntballmaniac5
03-03-08, 06:39 AM
There has been outstanding advice posted here by Marines that have been there done that, and also have been on recruiting duty. BlindZeal08, you may consider yourself a Marine Friend, but you need to listen also! You have not been there done that! I truly believe it should be done correctly and the recruiter should document it. INTEGRITY is important, and I believe he should go back to his recruiter and tell him he is not comfortable with omitting the information about his past history of migraines.

INTEGRITY, INTEGRITY INTEGRITY!!!!!!

I am going to do this first, and if he won't contact MEPS or anything then I am going to do it at the Moment of Truth.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-08, 01:11 PM
Crikey. <br />
<br />
This thread should be re-titled: <br />
<br />
&quot;LEARN TO BE A SEA LAWYER IN MULTIPLE 'EASY' STEPS&quot; <br />
<br />
Here's a word to the wise, laddies...... <br />
<br />
If you are going to start doing things the jacked...

semperfi170
03-03-08, 02:13 PM
Simply amazing the flock of sea lawyers that have even served yet! What is even more amazing is that they even believe each other.:banana: :!:

ttracker65
03-03-08, 06:39 PM
Migraines can be controlled most of the time by cutting down on the caffeine and if that does not work....Ranger candy (Excedrine) Just my take on it.

P8ntballmaniac5
03-03-08, 08:00 PM
Yeah well when I used to get migraines not bad headaches..I would lose my vision/be sensitive to light and the pain was just extreme..but I haven't had them in like 5 years so I'm good..but I am going to contact my recruiter tomorrow and get him to document it.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-08, 05:51 AM
Good. That's the way to go.

And yeah, I'm a big believer in Ranger candy. I used to CHEW em on humps in the MEU!

FistFu68
03-04-08, 01:01 PM
:evilgrin:TELL THE TRUTH FROM JUMP STREET,HAVE IT DOCUMENTED;'CAUSE IF YOU GET ONE OF THEM MIGRAINES,IN A STRESSFUL SITUATION.YOU CAN GET NOT ONLY YOURSELF BUT OTHER MARINES KILLED!!!:evilgrin: :usmc:

ttracker65
03-04-08, 08:22 PM
I do have to agree on that one. You can not choose the time you will have one. and if they are migraines you can end out to be a libility instead of an asset in the wrong situation. At least documented the command has the opertunity to adjust for that.