PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Training

FeMzZ
03-01-08, 01:59 PM
Is there any way possible to get used to firing a powerful rifle before actually going to bootcamp? Within a few weeks i am supposed to be attending a poolee meeting in which we we told we will be able to shoot M16's but i dont think shooting the weapon once before shipping would help much at all. It would be pretty good if there was a way to have an upper-hand going into bootcamp but its not like i have an M16 hanging on my wall. Because right now i am set for infantry but if i score high enough on the marksman tests i think sniping would be pretty cool. So what would be a good way to get used to using a rifle?

gnarkill04
03-01-08, 02:11 PM
Do you know how many people go into boot that have never even fired a gun before? You just have to go in like everyone else. Every Marine is a riflemen. I'm sure you'll get used to a little recoil. Good luck.

USMC8541Sgt
03-01-08, 02:23 PM
M16 and powerful in the same post! HA!

Do not worry, your PMI will teach you everything you need to know.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-01-08, 02:27 PM
Trying to learn to shoot before boot camp is the most sure way to not shooting well once you get there. The Marine Corps knows what it is doing, you will be taught to shoot the Marine Corps way, and you'll be fine.

For what its worth, there is a lot more to becoming a sniper than being able to shoot on the Known Distance course.

Phantom Blooper
03-01-08, 02:34 PM
fired a gun before

"This is rifle and this is my gun......one is for shooting and one is for fun."

In the Marine Corps your weapon....whichever they are using now I believe the A-2 is referred to as a rifle or weapon.

In the civilian sector you refer to it as a gun and your fine. Something in Marine Corps vocabulary to get used to.

Listen to your PMI and coach and don't be afraid of the weapon or the slight recoil. The powerful part is coming out the barrel..with out getting into to much nomenclature there is a powerful spring in the butt to absorb most of the recoil.

Most but not all high range shooters in boot camp are recruits that are not familiar with any weapons. Respect the rifle for it will help save your hide. As long as the weapon is down range or pointed towards an enemy objective you have NOTHING to fear. Before you fire the range personnel and armorers will inspect the weapons and if there is a problem they will fix it or give you a weapon to use that is safe. Your poolee function when they fire will have strict guideline and safety measures to follow.

You will do fine...listen....learn and ask questions if you are not sure.Keep the weapon on safe until firing and don't leave the line with an uncleared weapon...DOUBLECHECK!:evilgrin:

FeMzZ
03-01-08, 03:17 PM
Trying to learn to shoot before boot camp is the most sure way to not shooting well once you get there. The Marine Corps knows what it is doing, you will be taught to shoot the Marine Corps way, and you'll be fine.

For what its worth, there is a lot more to becoming a sniper than being able to shoot on the Known Distance course.

yes I know. I really want my infantry job anyway but I just think sniping in the Marines would be a good job if I qualified

sparkie
03-01-08, 03:28 PM
Love that 5.56- powerful ,,,,,,,, funny. Don't remember a kick. Come on over son, I got some stuff that will take your shoulder off.

bstewar09
03-01-08, 04:11 PM
From my experience an M-16 does not have a terrible amount of kick, but thats also very limitied experience.

kaboom1371
03-01-08, 04:30 PM
i am supposed to be attending a poolee meeting in which we we told we will be able to shoot M16's but i dont think shooting the weapon once before shipping would help much at all. It would be pretty good if there was a way to have an upper-hand going into bootcamp but its not like i have an M16 hanging on my wall.

powerful weapon...ha ha are they still shooting the 5.56? lmao very effective but not powerful. go to the carnival and shoot the little red star with the bee bee gun... that should get you up to par. :evilgrin:

FeMzZ
03-01-08, 05:44 PM
powerful weapon...ha ha are they still shooting the 5.56? lmao very effective but not powerful. go to the carnival and shoot the little red star with the bee bee gun... that should get you up to par. :evilgrin:
Well by "powerful" i was thinking more along the lines of the actual force behind gunpowder and the bullet. The only gun i have shot so far was a paintball gun. Now if there was some airsoft or paintball or some other type of "sport" gun that was like a rifle of some sort i would think that it would help a little bit atleast.

Rowe907
03-01-08, 05:47 PM
Well by "powerful" i was thinking more along the lines of the actual force behind gunpowder and the bullet. The only gun i have shot so far was a paintball gun. Now if there was some airsoft or paintball or some other type of "sport" gun that was like a rifle of some sort i would think that it would help a little bit atleast.

Come up to my house buddy..... Theres about 35 guns here from you to choose from...... After you shoot the sawed-of 12 guage with a couple 3-inch slugs, that M-16 should seem like a pellet gun.

sparkie
03-01-08, 05:48 PM
Try a 12 Ga. but remember to put it tight to your sholder and brace it with a tree.

sparkie
03-01-08, 05:49 PM
By the way, Bros. I'm lookin into pickin up a double 20 ga. for a sawd off, with pistol grip. Fun times.

Ryan0217
03-01-08, 06:56 PM
ive talked to a Marine and he said that it's better to not have shot before, because they will teach you what you need to know when you shoot.

249gunner
03-01-08, 07:47 PM
Clear your mind now, you'll be useless if you worry alot. You're the weapon not the tool.

SGT7477
03-01-08, 07:55 PM
ive talked to a Marine and he said that it's better to not have shot before, because they will teach you what you need to know when you shoot.
Your wrong son GYSGT. Hathcock shot before did it hurt him,HELL No.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-01-08, 07:58 PM
Love that 5.56- powerful ,,,,,,,, funny. Don't remember a kick. Come on over son, I got some stuff that will take your shoulder off.
I tell you sparkie I think we old Marines should have pre-boot camp the M-16 is powerful with recoil that kicks like mule, I'm laughing so hard I fell off my chair and bumped my head,lol.:flag:

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 08:07 PM
I want to be like Gunny Hatchcock, hes my idol and hero!

Anyways, I went from shooting an AK to an AR-15 and I didn't even know the AR fired pretty much...

SGT7477
03-01-08, 08:16 PM
I want to be like Gunny Hatchcock, hes my idol and hero!

Anyways, I went from shooting an AK to an AR-15 and I didn't even know the AR fired pretty much...
There is only a few that come around like him in a life time.:flag:

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 08:22 PM
Yes Sir!

The Corps will always be with men like him!

Ryan0217
03-01-08, 08:34 PM
Your wrong son GYSGT. Hathcock shot before did it hurt him,HELL No.:evilgrin:

Well I guess it varies from person to person, but I doubt anyone who has shot a gun before joining the Marines shot an M-16.

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 08:43 PM
Well I guess it varies from person to person, but I doubt anyone who has shot a gun before joining the Marines shot an M-16.

Wrong, I have.

Ryan0217
03-01-08, 08:52 PM
Wrong, I have.

Well I'll change it again, not everybody that has shot a gun before boot camp has shot an M-16, and those that have probably haven't shot them in the same circumstances of boot camp.

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 09:11 PM
Well I'll change it again, not everybody that has shot a gun before boot camp has shot an M-16, and those that have probably haven't shot them in the same circumstances of boot camp.

Correct

Ryan0217
03-01-08, 09:30 PM
Correct

I knew I'd get it right sooner or later, haha.

Wyoming
03-01-08, 10:17 PM

WHAT!!! You be 19. Ain't you never shot yore gun?

TSchultz
03-01-08, 10:49 PM
Come up to my house buddy..... Theres about 35 guns here from you to choose from...... After you shoot the sawed-of 12 guage with a couple 3-inch slugs, that M-16 should seem like a pellet gun.

Better yet, try them 3.5" High velocity turkey loads. If your arm doesn't fall off after that, shooting your rifle will feel like a quick breeze passing over your shoulder.

Like what has been said plenty of times now, let the Marine Corps teach you how to shoot... Is there a better teacher?

BlindZeal08
03-02-08, 12:05 AM
Try a 12 Ga. but remember to put it tight to your sholder and brace it with a tree.

LMAO.

I know a kid that actually did that, needless to say his shoulder didn't like being dislocated.

thewookie
03-02-08, 12:38 AM
If you shoot a shotgun and it dislocates your shoulder then you have problems. Tuck it in there tight and lean into it.

sparkie
03-02-08, 07:58 AM
Wookie, It's leaning against a tree that will do you in, I've seen it myself, Hurt that dummy bad.

thewookie
03-02-08, 08:28 AM
Yeah, that's bad, trees aren't to forgiving Sparkie! For my first shotgun blast as a kid I was put against the back of a pick-up truck, wow that hurt! But I don't need no pick-up no more, not after many, many rounds down range at Security Forces school as a student then an then instructor. When I worked there at combat weapons section I used to always give the new students the shotgun demo class downrange, one handed with slugs from 25 yards and nail em. That's a good drill to get you comfortable with a shotgun! Back in the good ole days...

sparkie
03-02-08, 08:40 AM
Weapons training today!!!!! Goin out with the kids again for a little shooting, and breaking in the new S&W .45.
I am very suprised a 19 yr. old hasn't shot anything but toys so far.

thewookie
03-02-08, 08:41 AM
I have this posted on my profile on TWS, lets see if this works,,, who's yo daddy?

sparkie
03-02-08, 08:44 AM
Why the hand in the pocket? Afraid of loosin sumpthin during recoil?

Motto Poolee
03-02-08, 08:50 AM
I have this posted on my profile on TWS, lets see if this works,,, who's yo daddy?

:scared:

thewookie
03-02-08, 08:54 AM
That's for two reasons but mainly all for show, one to show the students that it's not that much recoil, and two the drill was a one armed drill, assumption being that you got hit on one side but you can still stay in the fight with the other hand. Firing, reloading, clearing malfunctions, and firing again all with one arm, strong arm and then weak arm drills also. Those drill's are an azz kicker. Anyone who's been to security forces school down in Chesapeake has done the drills. It's fun,,

Have fun at the range Sparkie, I wish I could join you. Now that I'm all hot and sweaty from talking about the good old days down range, I think I'm going to break out the CLP and Hoppies #9 and do a little cleaning myself, wish I could go live though,,,,

Parker-0321
03-02-08, 08:55 AM
I've got a .22 i use on squirrels and other critters with more kick than an M-16. But if you want to practice shooting one, go to a rifle range and ask if they have an AR-15. A lot of places have them and will let you shoot them. My dad and I did that before I went in, hence the rifle expert.

SGT7477
03-02-08, 11:50 AM
WHAT!!! You be 19. Ain't you never shot yore gun?
He,he,he this is my rifle this is my gun this is for fighting this is for fun.:flag:

heavymetalwill
03-02-08, 01:20 PM
If your worried about the shooting end of it you neeed to come shooting with me I've been practising with a model 1917 Eddystone .30-06 (which is basical a 1903 springfield with more twist in the rifling so it's more accurate) my gradpa used the gun in world war one and there is very little that packs more of a punch than that steel butt plate-lol (I can hit a two inch. taget at three hundred yards, I wonder how I'll do in basic) if you can find a friend who will let you go out to the range and do a little target with his guns this can be very helpful when it comes to the range also read and study as much as you can on the M-16 you have to know how to break down and clean your weapon also.

heavymetalwill
03-02-08, 01:22 PM
P.S. sry for the bad spelling

FeMzZ
03-02-08, 01:28 PM
If your worried about the shooting end of it you neeed to come shooting with me I've been practising with a model 1917 Eddystone .30-06 (which is basical a 1903 springfield with more twist in the rifling so it's more accurate) my gradpa used the gun in world war one and there is very little that packs more of a punch than that steel butt plate-lol (I can hit a two inch. taget at three hundred yards, I wonder how I'll do in basic) if you can find a friend who will let you go out to the range and do a little target with his guns this can be very helpful when it comes to the range also read and study as much as you can on the M-16 you have to know how to break down and clean your weapon also.

yeah ive been wanting to go to the range for a while. Unfortunately i live in a suburd ofr NYC and there arent many rifle ranges around here, let alone any rifles to borrow from friends. Plus, im only 17 so finding a range that would let me shoot is probably not going to happen seeming how my father would not bring me. Good luck in basic though, thats a pretty nice shot

run like hell
03-02-08, 09:40 PM
i just bought a .40 cal rifle and shoot it all the time fun and cheep experience ..

semperfi170
03-02-08, 10:03 PM
Why the hand in the pocket? Afraid of loosin sumpthin during recoil?

I thought he was demonstrating that he had the power to use both hands - one for shooting and the other for his fun gun!:evilgrin:

semperfi170
03-02-08, 10:12 PM
I remember way back to 68 and being on the street lined by quonset huts and waiting to go into 1st Bn mess hall. The platoon was lined up on either side of the street and we were being quizzed by the duty Drill Instructor about the M-14. Things such as muzzle velocity, max effective range, nomenclature, etc. One dumb azz recruit called the M-14 a gun! He had to drop his trousers and boxers, grab his gun and sound off loudly: Sir, This is my rifle (hold it up high, with one hand), this is my gun (which he had to yank), one is for shooting and one is for fun! He had to repeat at least 6 times. Of course we couldn't laugh, us being lowly recruits. But the Drill Instructors sure got a good laugh.:banana:

ttracker65
03-04-08, 09:25 PM
Hey they were still doing that in '79 out at Edson Range durring IT. I might as well repeat my self March 15th I will have my M-4 5.56 and M-4 6.8 at Nice Shot indoor range Redding Calif. for any of you Northern Calif Poolies. I do not have a problem with letting you guy's Fam Fire. On April 11th I will be Competeing at the Knob Creek Range in West Point Kentucky in the Assault Match and there will be plenty of shooting opertunities there......Oh and before you brag about your 300yd precision you need to move that out to 500 meters since that is the size of the qualifieing range.

gnarkill04
03-04-08, 09:50 PM
I wish tracker.. haha.