PDA

View Full Version : Cold War Veteran

TBA
03-01-08, 08:19 AM
:iwo: I was requesting records on line and saw a place to receive a Cold War Veteran Certificate for military members who served from 1945 to 1991. Can anyone tell me if there was a service ribbon or medal issued for this, and if so is it authorized for wear.

b2542
03-01-08, 08:35 AM
Congress did not pass the legislation for a ribbon or medal for the cold war.

hrscowboy
03-01-08, 04:43 PM
well the SOBs ought too... Oh i forgot most of them never seen Military Service..

SGT7477
03-01-08, 06:12 PM
Man are we use to getting screwed yet?

testforecho2112
03-01-08, 07:31 PM
BOHICA, Bend Over Here It Comes Again...

SGT7477
03-01-08, 07:44 PM
BOHICA, Bend Over Here It Comes Again...
How true,how true,lmfao.:flag:

SgtHopperUSMC
03-02-08, 08:42 PM
:iwo: I was requesting records on line and saw a place to receive a Cold War Veteran Certificate for military members who served from 1945 to 1991. Can anyone tell me if there was a service ribbon or medal issued for this, and if so is it authorized for wear. Yes you can Buy the medal/ribbon set. The certificate is issued by the Dept. of the Army.http://www.foxfall.com/cwm.htm

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-08, 06:21 AM
As of yet, there is no specific medal authorized for Cold War service, only the certificate. The medal referenced in the website is a 'commemorative' medal (the site says so) that wouldn't be authorized for wear on uniforms.

The certificate is, at this point, the only thing you 'get' for Cold War service. Congress is all for issuing a medal for CW service, but DoD has repeatedly testified against it and done everything they can to block it. It's stupid, but apparently it comes down to a money issue (don't get me started).

crate78
03-06-08, 08:56 PM
Just the other day, I read a piece that said Senator Hillary Clinton introduced a bill to create a Cold War Medal to go along with the certificate.

Unfortunately, it was not included in the 2008 funding. Estimates were that approximately 5% would apply for the medal at a cost to the government of about $5 million. That's pennies compared to the overal DoD budget. (And to some of the pork projects)

Maybe next year.

There is currently a medal available, but it is not authorized to be worn on your uniform.

crate

sgtjimh
07-19-08, 08:48 AM
How can we get this thing going? Who can we contact? Is there a lobby started for this recognition?

CplKJSpevak
07-19-08, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately, it was not included in the 2008 funding. Estimates were that approximately 5% would apply for the medal at a cost to the government of about $5 million. That's pennies compared to the overal DoD budget. (And to some of the pork projects)

Why would it cost the goverment anything, You know we will buy any medal if we are authorized to have it, what $8 or something?

CplKJSpevak
07-19-08, 11:53 AM
Why would it cost the goverment anything, You know we will buy any medal if we are authorized to have it, what $8 or something?

Not that I would rate a Cold War medal or certificate;)

Eric Hood
07-19-08, 01:14 PM
I would be surprized, if they approve it.

Quinbo
07-19-08, 05:28 PM
Personnally I think a certificate is enough. We already have the National Defense Medal.

bucksgted
07-19-08, 07:01 PM
Personnally I think a certificate is enough. We already have the National Defense Medal.

Careful there, Bulkyker, look at the cut off dates for the NDSM. Not everyone is eligible for it, including me.

recon532002
07-19-08, 07:41 PM
If you go to cold war veterans.com there is a medal for cold war vets and I was able to purchace the medal and ribbon. But as of yet it is not a honored medal as of yet. And there is a cold war certificate of recognition Signed by Donald Rumsfeld

recon532002
07-19-08, 07:43 PM
Sorry Bros Thats The cold War Veteran Association

recon532002
07-19-08, 07:48 PM
To purchase a medal google Cold War Victory Medal Come In 2 sizes One is 25.00 an the other is 35.00

Quinbo
07-20-08, 06:18 AM
I have thought about this and can not come up with a good answer. Marines receiving a medal for just doing their job ... well hell I have a few for just doing that. Do we need a medal for service members that served during the cold war era? I don't know. Give all the presidents from Johnson to Reagan a cold war medal. We were just the bullets in the gun.

groundhog 2
03-24-09, 09:23 AM
they can't come up with the funding for a medal or certificate but they can sure come up with our billions for bank and insurance bailouts and bonuses, right?

awbrown1462
03-24-09, 09:28 AM
we can be like the Army a medal for everything you do ( tie your shoes,shave, and the haircut medal) lol

groundhog 2
03-24-09, 09:28 AM
National Defense Medal covers duty from 1961 to 1974

groundhog 2
03-24-09, 09:49 AM
I agree with Bulkyker and Awbrown 1462. Some people call me the "old Corps". I was in from 1960 to 1964. The "old Corps" to me was Korea and wwII. I don't need a medal for doing my job. I was in supply stateside and 1st MAW MWSG-17 in Iwakuni. I feel we did an awful lot and then some getting the s--- down south from Iwakuni and Atsugi to you guys that really needed it. I lost a few good friends like everyone else, and think I sometimes dealt with "survivor syndrome" what ever the h--- that is. Why them and not me to I guess. The only medals I have is a good conduct and my rifle badge, and don't really care if I have or can get anything else, but I have inquired, but who really cares. Your right, "just do your job man."

KawiGunny
03-24-09, 10:03 AM

Like all medals and ribbons, the military will give you the first award. With those timeframes for this, that is a lot of service members throughout all branches of the military.

groundhog 2
03-24-09, 10:49 AM
Your right Gunny and the Gov't has spent alot of money on paper just to print the certificate, so if it's needed that badley, issue the certificate and the guys can buy their own ribbons and medals

KawiGunny
03-24-09, 11:49 AM
Your right Gunny and the Gov't has spent alot of money on paper just to print the certificate, so if it's needed that badley, issue the certificate and the guys can buy their own ribbons and medals

Or we can just leave it as a cetificate and nothing else. I have already had to update my shadowbox twice since I retired last March. Either way I really don't care.

Wyoming
03-24-09, 12:02 PM
Gunny, didn't retire, just EAS in '69.

I have also updated my shadowbox twice.

I have yet again a.n.other ribbon laying on top.

Laziness I guess.

Send me the certificate.

KawiGunny
03-24-09, 12:10 PM
Gunny, didn't retire, just EAS in '69.

I have also updated my shadowbox twice.

I have yet again a.n.other ribbon laying on top.

Laziness I guess.

Send me the certificate.

Funny.... I have one laying on my dresser. Was waiting to see if anything else came through. Definitely laziness.

FistFu68
03-24-09, 04:49 PM
:evilgrin: There were actually Medals made from the metal of the Nuke Missiles that were destroyed after tha cold war,chit like it ain't getting heated up again these Marines outta Boot or SOI are decorated like a Fucing Easter Egg Sgt.B any more Salad on Your Young butt your gonna need a Crane too hold your azz upright(lol) :D :beer:

silverdollar
03-25-09, 09:16 AM
Anyone else notice that it is mostly pouges looking for chest candy?:marine:

KawiGunny
03-25-09, 09:19 AM

Think this is my que to pop some popcorn. :D

Rocky C
03-25-09, 09:38 AM
As of yet, there is no specific medal authorized for Cold War service, only the certificate. The medal referenced in the website is a 'commemorative' medal (the site says so) that wouldn't be authorized for wear on uniforms.

The certificate is, at this point, the only thing you 'get' for Cold War service. Congress is all for issuing a medal for CW service, but DoD has repeatedly testified against it and done everything they can to block it. It's stupid, but apparently it comes down to a money issue (don't get me started).

You are Correct!!! I saw the medal and ribbon and certificate ( Commemorative ) at Medals of America. com

Rocky

sscjoe
03-25-09, 10:48 AM
Start popping it Gunny. First of all Silverdollar I don't think it's a question of "chest candy". Some of us that joined the Marine Corps outside the time frame of the NDF ribbon feel it's more of a recognition of being ready to defend our nation.:mad:

3531corporal
05-02-11, 02:40 AM
just my two cents worth here,

i found out about the certificate by accident,not including the one from medals of america.com through another web site.

the certificate that i requested came from the Army Human Resources Command at Fort Knox, Ky and was signed by Robert Gates, Secretary of Defense

the american war library at www.americanwarlibrary.com has a cold war display recognition certifacte and medal that can be purchased, however the maedal IS NOT for wear on uniform

silverdollar
05-02-11, 06:49 AM
How do you keep the certificate from falling off of your chest?

Phantom Blooper
05-02-11, 07:43 AM

Velcro...safety pins....duct tape

Grunts use nail guns.....

FistFu68
05-02-11, 11:23 AM
:evilgrin: 1st. You need a Chest too Nail it on,In My case use Armor Piecering Nail's cause mine is made outta Steel like My GUN...:D :iwo:

3531corporal
05-04-11, 11:47 AM

you sound like some of the guys i served with, all they were worried about was getting medals.

yes i earned some medals during my 6 years and they are in a plastic tote in the top of my closet, i did enlist expecting to get a medal for everything that i did, if i earned one, i earned it. yes i requested the cold war certificate, but is it in a frame on a wall, no, it is a scrap book along with other items from my time in the corps.

if all you wanted were medals to wear and try and impress people tehn maybe you should have joined the army

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-11, 08:42 PM
He was being sarcastic....just so ya know