PDA

View Full Version : Knitters, crocheters help bring warmth into deployed Marines’ lives

thedrifter
03-01-08, 08:02 AM
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Knitters, crocheters help bring warmth into deployed Marines’ lives

Story and photos by Lance Cpl. Andrew S. Keirn
Combat Correspondent

The National Museum of the Marine Corps has issued an invitation to knitters and crocheters to join together and help bring a little warmth into the lives of Marines stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In its first year open to the public, the National Museum of the Marine Corps has received well over 600,000 visitors from all across the nation. It has established itself as a major regional attraction and has quickly become not only a place for the public to immerse themselves into the history and culture of the Marine Corps, but for Marines and their supporters to convene, share their experiences, and contribute to the current Marines serving.

In 2002, several small groups sprung up to lend their knitting and crocheting abilities to help Marines overseas keep warm in the winter by knitting and crocheting helmet liners. The idea has since grown into the ‘‘Knitting for Marines” program hosted by the museum.

‘‘These helmet liners will be very helpful for the Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan,” said Patrick Mooney, manager of visitor’s services for the museum. ‘‘During the winter months it gets extremely cold over there and these helmet liners will help the Marines keep warm by covering the area between the Marines’ Kevlar helmet and Flak jacket that is exposed to the elements.”

Mooney’s brother serves in the Marine Corps and is about to deploy next December as the battalion commander for 1st Reconnaissance Battalion out of Camp Pendleton, Calif. The museum’s goal is to have volunteers create 100 helmet liners which will be sent to Mooney’s brother’s unit and other units deploying during next winter.

‘‘We started out setting a goal to outfit an entire battalion with the knitted helmet liners but with a large participation of volunteers we’ll probably far exceed our initial goal,” Mooney said. ‘‘We’ve had emails from people wishing to volunteer from as far away as Switzerland. It seems to have just lit a spark in people and given them a way they can be connected and help the Marines.”

Margret Knox of Triangle, traveled to the museum Saturday to spend time crocheting liners with fellow knitter and crocheter, Gisi Stewart of Stafford. Each woman had a husband who was in the Marine Corps and felt a strong compassion to help in any way they could.

‘‘I’ve been crocheting since I was seven or eight,” Knox said. ‘‘I decided to join in this project because I thought this was something I could do for the Marines who are over there serving their country and laying their life on the line. The least I can do is help make sure they are warm while doing it.”

Virginia knit supply shops have also pitched in their part to support the troops and the program by discounting supplies volunteers buy to use for the liners. Knit Happens in Alexandria, Aylin’s Woolgatherer in Falls Church, and The Knitting Basket in Richmond are just a few shops offering a 10 percent discount on yarn and other supplies to ‘‘Knitting for Marines” participants.

This is not the first time knitters and crocheters have contributed to America’s troops during wartime by using their talents.

‘‘The practice goes back even to WWI and WWII,” Mooney said. ‘‘Women on the home front used to knit socks, scarves, etc., for the troops. This is just the next generation doing their part.”

Individuals who participated in this event used U.S. size six and eight circular needles and U.S. size eight double pointed needles or K and H hook, 100 percent wool in brown, black, charcoal, olive drab, or tan. Only 100 percent soft wool yarn will be accepted because our armed forces are not allowed to wear synthetic fibers. Wool is inherently non-flammable and won’t melt against the skin in the event of an accident and will stay warm even when wet.

For those interested in getting an early start, patterns are available for download at www.usmsmuseum.org⁄SupportMarines.asp. For those unable to attend a ‘‘Knitting for Marines” session but would like to participate in the program, finished liners can be sent to:

National Museum of the Marine Corps; ATTN Ben Kristy; 2014 Anderson Avenue; Quantico, Va., 22134.

For more information on the program please contact Chris Vassil at cvassil@susandavis.com or call (202) 414-0779.

Ellie