View Full Version : Three Marines awarded Bronze Stars

thedrifter
03-01-08, 07:54 AM
Three Marines awarded Bronze Stars
Published Sat, Mar 1, 2008 12:00 AM
By DAN HILLIARD
dhilliard@beaufortgazette.com
843-986-5531

Three Marine officers at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort were presented the Bronze Star on Friday for their roles in prepping Iraqi security forces to eventually assume control of the nation.

Lt. Col. John Bolt, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Aivaz and Lt. Col. James Quinn were presented their medals by Maj. Gen. Kenneth Glueck Jr., the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing commanding general.

Bolt, executive officer of Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 224, the "Fighting Bengals," earned his medal as deputy team chief for the 7th Iraqi Army Division Military Transition Team from February 2007 to November 2007.

While in Iraq, Bolt increased Iraqi Army recruitment between 60 percent and 120 percent throughout the division.

He also developed a long-term campaign plan for the division's transition to an all-Iraqi command and personally led a counterattack and recovery mission when a fuel tanker convoy he was leading was ambushed in the al-Anbar province.

Bolt said he developed an admiration for the Iraqi Army recruits who joined during his stay.

"We as Marines join knowing we're going to deploy away from our families and put ourselves in harm's way," he said. "These Iraqi officers join up knowing their families could be at risk, and their children could be kidnapped, but they show up to work every day."

Aivaz's Bronze Star citation attributes his award to his work training Iraqi police officers and Iraqi army recruits with the 1st Iraqi Army Division Military Transition Team from February 2007 to November 2007. He also supervised a three-fold expansion of the division's area of operations.

Both Aivaz and Quinn are officers at the station's Marine Aircraft Group 31.

"It's a little humbling," Aivaz said. "I wasn't expecting it, but it's definitely a product of working with good Marines. The Iraqi people have come a long way."

Quinn said his Bronze Star for serving as the plans/operation officer for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing from May 2007 to February was hard-earned, as his division lost about 16 percent of its available planes due to shifting needs in the region.

Under Quinn's direction, the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing supported 90 major missions, 50 raids and 60 scouting missions to keep sectarian violence in the al-Anbar region to a minimum while the Iraqi army focused on swelling its ranks.

"It's the result of being around great Marines, both above and below me," he said. "I'm just reaping the awards of a lot of hard work from my Marines."

Glueck also awarded Lt. Dustin Neider of MAG-31 with a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for his work with an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance company as an advisor from December 2006 to November 2007.

"I believe it's extremely important to recognize great Marines for doing a great job," Glueck said. "This is something they and everyone in their unit can be proud of."
The Navy medal is awarded for heroic or meritorious achievement or service.

Ellie