PDA

View Full Version : Changed my contract & ship date.

Call me fish
02-29-08, 04:34 PM
So I just got home from Chicago MEPS today where I enlisted for the 2nd time. Reason being, I had a reserve 0321 contract to be in the Reserve unit here in Joliet (4th Recon Btn.) but I no longer wanted to be a reservist.

There were no more infantry contracts left, and I was willing to do anything to get active duty 0300, because I wish to live the active duty life after High School. I had spoken with a reservist from the recon unit here who is augmenting to active and he said I would enjoy active duty far better as well.

Luckily I went up there and my recruiter somehow got the last Uniform Zulu contract and was able to change my shipdate to May 27th instead of June 23rd. So not only did I get the active duty spot, but it's a recon tryout & it's a month earlier shipdate. =]

The only bad part is that its 3 days before my graduation ceremony which means not only must I break the news to my Mom that I'll be away for 4 years, but I also must miss my graduation. She'll be home in about 30 minutes. I'm telling her about no longer going in as a reservist, she will most definitely blow up, but she must know it is my life and I'm choosing to have the Marine Corps help guide me through it.

Thank you for all of those, Marines and poolees, who helped me choose this decision, I know I'll be happier as an AD grunt rather than a reservist.

~fish

sawatzke82
02-29-08, 04:44 PM
Your new ship date is a day after mine. You live in Illinois are you going to PI or SD? It sucks you are going to miss your graduation and I thought I was leaving in a hurry (two days after graduation).

yellowwing
02-29-08, 05:36 PM
I had to get permission to take some exams earlier so I could ship. I was in Receiving Barracks when classmates were graduating.

Just tell your mom straight up.

Call me fish
02-29-08, 05:55 PM
Just finished talking to her. She wouldn't stop crying until we changed the subject but I think she understands a bit better now. However she still would rather see me go to Purdue University. It's just not for me, at least not right now...

~fish

bgsuwoody
02-29-08, 06:23 PM
Oohrah 03xx...you made the right choice. Even though you may think all the reservists have it pretty. The AD is where it is at. I told my mom to screw my COLLEGE graduation and that I would have the most important graduation of my life on Nov 2. She understood. Just put it that way. Save all the presents and **** for then. Make one party. It will be great. 03 all the way. You'll love your choice.

Call me fish
02-29-08, 06:28 PM
Yes I definitely look forward to the 03 field, of course I am hoping to pass BRC and become 0321, but infantry is infantry and that's what I want in the Marines. Thanks again.k

~fish

Motto Poolee
02-29-08, 07:10 PM
Well I guess youll see me now on the grad deck, hopefully...haha you were leaving with me

Call me fish
02-29-08, 07:11 PM
Yea! lol I was enjoying the thread you made for all of us June 23rd shippers and now its down the drain =[ but the corps is small I'm sure we'll all meet one way or another down the road.

~fish

Motto Poolee
02-29-08, 07:17 PM
Theres always the Fleet!

Marine84
02-29-08, 07:41 PM
but the corps is small I'm sure we'll all meet one way or another down the road.

Yes you will.................even when you get out (and have been out for a while) one day you'll wake up to a blast from your past. LOL!

Hoplite
02-29-08, 09:53 PM
I just made the same decision as well. I was going reservist for awhile but I felt like I would miss out on a great experience and good memories with not going active. I feel alot better now that I am going active. I'm gona try to move my ship date to a sooner time as well even though I'm gona miss my college graduation but hey, I'm gona have a bigger and better graduation if I get through boot camp.

crazymjb
03-01-08, 12:04 AM
I'm still struggling with that decision.

While UH is full my recruiter said "for me" he could find a slot, just to let him know.

Mike

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 07:43 AM
I'm still struggling with that decision.

While UH is full my recruiter said "for me" he could find a slot, just to let him know.

Mike

Ya seeing as your from where I am, I pretty much got the last UH in the area. Some pop up now and then, but it is packed!

Bullpup
03-01-08, 05:36 PM
Congrats Fish. I know you really wanted that active 0321 spot. I'm glad you got it.

Call me fish
03-01-08, 06:45 PM
Yea thanks man you answered lots of questions that many wouldn't. =]

~fish