PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa restrictions frustrate dependents

thedrifter
02-28-08, 07:51 PM
Okinawa restrictions frustrate dependents
Unclear criteria make spouses wonder when to request exemptions
By David Allen, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Friday, February 29, 2008

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — Confusion over the rules for the indefinite “period of reflection” imposed last week for all personnel affiliated with the U.S. military on Okinawa is turning into anger.

After a week of being restricted to the bases or their off-base homes, Americans here are beginning to voice concerns about what some are calling being placed on “house arrest” for crimes they did not commit.

“How do they have the authority to do this to the wives and children of active-duty servicemembers — especially the Japanese spouses?” asked Kathryn Perez in a telephone interview Wednesday. She is the spouse of a Marine and lives in Chatan, near Kadena Air Base.

“One thing that is really amazing is not all of the commands are implementing the same rules,” she said. “Why can my friend, an Army spouse, do things when I can’t?”

Marine officials contacted by Stars and Stripes never call the order a restriction.

They say the “Period of Reflection” covers all persons on Okinawa — and at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni and Camp Fuji on mainland Japan — sponsored by the Department of Defense.

“That includes Japanese spouses,” said Marine Master Sgt. Charles Albrecht, of Marine Corps Public Affairs.

In a special announcement that was first broadcast on American Forces Network on Wednesday morning, Marine Lt. Gen. Richard Zilmer, the senior U.S. general on Okinawa, reaffirmed that the restrictions would be in place until further notice.

“Service leaders and I will continue to review the procedures and orders that govern the discipline and conduct of all SOFA-status personnel,” he said. “The limited movement of all SOFA-status personnel will be reassessed again on March 3.”

Still, many have grown impatient.

“My biggest concern is my wife,” said a civilian DOD worker who lives on Camp Lester. He asked to be referred to by just his first name, David.

“Her rights as a Japanese citizen are being infringed,” he said. “She’s not allowed to go to work or visit her family without special permission from the U.S. military? My children can’t visit their grandparents?

“We got an exemption for her work, but why did we have to do that?” David asked. “This ‘period of reflection’ doesn’t appear to have been thought out well. I mean, we even have to get permission to walk our dogs.”

“Chris,” a former Marine now working for a base contractor, said he was also confused by the different instructions.

“The Army handed out no details, just the order from the Marine Corps,” he said. “But the Air Force sent out a Q&A with about 20 detailed scenarios answered.”

He said his “O-6” equivalent and other officials are not currently on Okinawa and getting exemptions to do anything — even paying his electric and telephone bills at a convenience store — is difficult.

“What do I do? Be reasonable and pay my bills at a convenience store, but just not buy a coke? Or get a special exemption letter? That all sounds pretty petty to me,” he added.

The 47-year-old Okinawan wife of a civilian who works at Kadena said the situation makes her nervous.

“Being Japanese, I thought I was exempt from the restrictions, but I wasn’t sure, and my husband was on TDY. So I asked some Japanese wives at a laundromat on base,” she said, asking that her name not be printed. “One woman said she tries not to go off base. When she really needs to she won’t use her Y-plate car and instead uses a taxi or walks. I checked with some more people, but everybody said different things.

“I am confused,” she said. “But one thing I know for sure is that I cannot do a thoughtless thing. I have a sick mother living by herself in Yambaru [in the northern part of the island]. I need to visit her, preparing meals and taking care of her, two to three days a week.”

She said she was able to get an exemption to visit her mother.

“But it makes me very nervous,” she said. “I told my children, who do not look very Japanese, to wait to visit their grandmother for the time being.”

Civilians who work at MCAS Iwakuni also are angry.

“I am single and live off base,” said a former Marine now employed there as a civilian with SOFA status. “But I can’t leave my house. And the base doesn’t offer much for me — especially since I work night shift and everything’s closed when I get off work.”

Perez said she is a former Marine and understands active-duty servicemembers must obey orders from their command. But she does not see why the military is treating family members and civilians in a punitive way.

In a letter to her husband’s command (which she declined to name) she wrote:

“I just do not see the reasoning behind having to explain to my children why we can’t go to a friend’s house, or the reasoning behind being forced to use substandard services on base rather the services that I have used for years off base. Not to mention the fact that I live off-base and I do not have the convenience of running up the street to the shopette or PX for necessities.”

“This reflection period has impacted all of us in one way or another, but unfortunately you are a lot more involved in the local community then most,” the command answered. “I want you to know that you are not alone in your frustration.

“Unfortunately the actions of a few impact us all, and as U.S. Citizens here under a SOFA agreement, we are all subject to the rules. The best thing that we can do is have a positive attitude and make the best of this situation.”

As a parent, Perez said she’s found it hard to stay positive.

“How do you tell your 4-year-old that you can’t stop your car to get a drink of juice because we’re not allowed to shop off-base?” Perez asked.

“How do I tell them they can’t go play in the playground that’s right next to our back yard?” she added. “How do I tell them they can’t go play at their friend’s house?”

Stars and Stripes reporter Chiyomi Sumida contributed to this report.
Q&A on restrictions ...

Below is a Q&A sheet on the current restrictions released by officials at Kadena Air Base to base personnel. The sheet was forwarded to Stars and Stripes by an anonymous source. Kadena officials confirmed Wednesday that they had distributed a Q&A sheet

Q: Is my Japanese national spouse subject to the movement limitation order?

A: No. We cannot restrict the off-base movement of Japanese citizens within their own country.

Q: My family is in town from the States and we had plans to tour Shuri Castle, Peace Prayer Park and the aquarium. Does this mean they have to stay on base or in our off-base home too?

A: This movement limitation order only applies to SOFA-status personnel. Your family members from the States are tourists on a Japanese tourist visa – they do not have SOFA status. Your family members may certainly tour the sites, but you will need permission from the first O-6 (or civilian director equivalent) in your’s (or your sponsor’s) chain-of-command.

Q: Can I pick-up my family from the airport when they arrive tomorrow?

A: Yes. Traveling to the airport to pick-up or drop-off passengers or to conduct authorized travel (including leave travel) is an exception under the movement limitation order.

Q: Can I go to Okuma this weekend?

A: Yes. Okuma Recreation Facility is a military installation.

Q: Can I still run or man a water station during the Okinawa Marathon this weekend?

A: Yes. The Okinawa Marathon is a community outreach event and an approved exception to the movement limitation order.

Q: I do not have a vehicle (I just arrived on Okinawa) and I have made a partial down payment on a car from an off-base dealership. Can I go to the dealership to pay the rest of my down payment and pick-up the car?

A: This is a pre-existing obligation, and a possible exception under the movement limitation order. You, or your sponsor if you are a dependant, should make your request for an exception under the movement limitation order to the first O-6 (or civilian director equivalent) in the chain of command.

Q: My child attends on off-base child care provider – do I need permission to take my child to day care off-base and pick up the child every day?

A: Off-base child care is a place of education, one of the exceptions under the movement limitation order.

Q: I live in an off-base apartment with my dog. Can I take my dog outside to a nearby park so that it can “take care of business?”

A: Yes, and then you should promptly return to your quarters.

Q: Can I take my child off-base for pre-paid piano or Karate lessons?

A: Yes, these are places of education.

Q: Can I take my car off-base for repairs?

A: If your car breaks down off base you may bring it to a Japanese auto repair shop. If your car breaks down on base, use available on-base repair services. In order to pick up a car left off base for repairs, or if on-base services are insufficient to address your vehicle problem, make a request for exception under the movement limitation order to the first O-6 (or civilian director equivalent) in the chain-of-command.

Q: Can I go to my off-base job?

A: Yes; your place of employment is an exception under the movement limitation order. Note: US Forces Japan regulations prohibit employment in any liquor stores, bars, nightclubs, or other establishments in which the sale or service of alcoholic beverages to the Japanese public is the exclusive or primary activity.

Q: Can I go to another Airman’s house off-base for dinner?

A: No. You should plan to meet your friend at an on-base establishment or postpone your dinner plans until after the period of reflection concludes.

Q: Can I make my regular deposit at the bill-paying service off-base?

A: This is a pre-existing obligation, and possible exception under the movement limitation order. You, or your sponsor if you are a dependant, should make your request for an exception under the movement limitation order to the first O-6 (or civilian director equivalent) in the chain-ofcommand.

Q: I live off-base and use an off-base laundry service. Can I pick up my clothes and drop off clothes (the laundry is not in my apartment building)?

A: You, or your sponsor if you are a dependant, should make your request for an exception under the movement limitation order to the first O-6 (or civilian director equivalent) in the chain of command to pick up your clothes. You should then use the laundry services available on-base until the period of reflection concludes and the movement limitation order is lifted.

Q: I’ve already paid for a “boot camp” style personal trainer program at a gym off base. It’s a course with predetermined start and completion dates. Can I still attend sessions during the period of reflection?

A: This is a pre-existing obligation, and a possible exception under the movement limitation order. You, or your sponsor if you are a dependant, should make your request for an exception under the movement limitation order to the first O-6 (or civilian director equivalent) in the chain of command.

Q: I use an off-base gym where I pay for membership. I prefer to work out there, because it’s located close to my house and I like the facility. Can I visit that gym during the period of reflection? Also, can I go running off base?

A: No. If you wish to work out at a gym or run outdoors during the period of reflection, do so on base.

Sound Off

In more than two dozen e-mails and telephone calls to Stars and Stripes, people are sounding off about the “period of reflection” and its restrictions on all military-related personnel and their families on Okinawa and at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni and Camp Fuji. Here’s a sample of what they are saying:

“Although I don’t condone immoral actions by anyone regardless of race, nationality or mental status, I feel that the response to such actions were over-generalized by Okinawans as a conduct all Americans should be held responsible for,” said Summer Morefield, the wife of a Marine who lives in Uruma, near Camp Courtney.

She said the Okinawans are blaming all Americans for the acts of a few.

“The benefit our servicemembers provide for Okinawans’ freedom as well as their economy outweighs the sparsely sporadic actions of immorality that will occur with or without Americans being present,” she said. “All in all, I just feel as though the incident, although sad and heinous in nature, resulted in over-generalization of the American population causing unneeded and unwanted tension. In the future, I hope punishment is only given where punishment is due.”

Some people thought the restriction was not just a way to make all SOFA-status personnel reflect on their behavior. It will also show the Okinawans how much Americans contribute to the island’s economy.

“I think that the restriction imposed on all DOD and family members was a great idea,” wrote a Marine gunnery sergeant. “The Okinawan community doesn’t realize how important the military is to its businesses and community. I parked in American Village before only to receive a flyer stating go back to America and thanks for Rock and Roll and cheeseburgers. I felt that was disrespectful. I hope the restriction will last till at least April or May so the Okinawans will be protesting about raising the restrictions so they can live.”

“This blanket policy will have damaging effects for all concerned for years to come,” a Defense Department civilian wrote. “I have already contacted my Senator and voiced my displeasure. I’m contemplating my next step which might involve hiring a lawyer and exploring other employment options … The rhetoric that is being tossed out via AFN radio and media releases about the ‘plethora’ of on-post activities is patronizing and condescending.”

A retired gunnery sergeant wrote: “The Okinawans should go to the inner (virtually hidden) sections of their newspapers and read the small innocuous articles printed there. They will likely find several instances of the very same type of crime committed by their own citizenry. Indeed, even more heinous crimes, like children beating each other to death with sticks, sex crazed idiots raping and junior high and high schools girls soliciting themselves for sex to make money. You name it and an Okinawan has done it and on a far more frequent basis than any foreign visitors.”

Another e-mailer noted that Japanese news media recently reported the arrest of one man who admitted having sex with a 13-year-old girl he met online last October and a 74-year-old man who allegedly molested a young girl he enticed into his home.

Rumors of people violating the restriction, always second- or third-hand, abound on several Internet forums.

“New story for y’all,” a person calling himself “Twist” wrote in one chat room. “Two Marine officer wives with the kids got caught at Starbucks. They both are being ERD’s (early return of dependents).”

Other forums passed on reports of 21 to 77 people being punished so far from breaking the restriction.

“We don’t have any reports on that,” Marine spokesman Master Sgt. Charles Albrecht said Wednesday. He said no one was patrolling off-base areas looking for violators.

In response to one Marine wife’s request concerning possible punishment for violating the general’s order, her husband’s command forwarded an e-mail from the base inspector’s office that stated:

“Although no one has yet faced an administrative hearing as a result of policy violations, administrative sanctions, to include early return of dependents and/or debarment, are lawful remedies if it comes to the Base Inspector’s attention that a civilian/dependent has willfully violated Gen. Zilmer’s directive.”

Scott Rouch, husband of a base civilian employee, said the restriction is harmful to the Okinawa community.

“Lt. Gen Zilmer says on the latest AFN message … that the period of reflection continues while we work on establishing better relations with the Okinawan community. I would like to know how the period of reflection does that. Does running locals out of business do that?

“What happens when the restriction is lifted and someone does something stupid? The local headlines will scream ‘Americans learn nothing from Period of Reflection.’”

Ellie