PDA

View Full Version : Things that could possibly keep me out? [please read]

gnarkill04
02-28-08, 04:30 PM
First off, thanks in advance if you take the time to read/respond to this, but I need help.

Alright so as of right now, my biggest fear is going to MEPs and hearing "Nope, sorry, can't let you in. " So I decided to ask here in case my hopes are too high.

I read on one post that that make you do jumping jacks and stuff like that to make sure your bones basically don't pop out or something. Well, my problem is, my left collar bone sticks out more than the other and sometimes makes a popping sound when I move my arm a certain way but it doesn't hurt. Also, I'm what some people have called "pigeon chested" or something like that? The left side of my chest sticks out farther than the other. I'm a little self conscious about it, but I've gotten over it. I talked to a doctor a while back and she said that it wasn't a tumor or anything and its not like my heart's out of whack [that I know of] so it seems fine. When I do push ups and stuff its fine and nothing hurts at all. It just.. looks weird? The doctor said [mind you, this was about a year or two ago] that I could get it x-rayed if I was really that concerned. The only thing that concerns me if anyone else has ever had, or heard of a bone deformation like this on someone else? And do you think it would keep me out of getting in?

Another thing, when I was little I had an eye problem which caused me to be slightly cross-eyed, but I got surgery for it and its fine, but my left eye is still weaker than the right. I'm not sure if its correctable to 20/20 because all I've had since about 5th grade were contacts and they dont have contacts strong enough for my eyes or something. Is a previous eye surgery, or one eye being weaker than the other going to keep me out?

Sorry for the novel, I just want to make sure I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing.

Phantom Blooper
02-28-08, 05:01 PM
If you don't go to MEP's you won't never know. The only fear you should have is of the unknown. Go to MEPS and find out ......one way or the other.

If you sell yourself short....you will live with this the rest of your life.

If you go to MEPS and they fail you...you will be able to find out what you need to do to overcome this plaque and then you cancontinue to march. Be up front and completely honest and bring the documentation from the doctors. Good luck!:evilgrin:

jungleman4422
02-28-08, 07:21 PM
The best thing like Phantom Blooper said, is to just take a chance.

thewookie
02-29-08, 07:04 AM
Fortes Fortuna Juvat - that is latin for Risk Nothing Gain Nothing

Your whole life will be filled with what ifs, if you don't at least try.

Do you really want to spend the rest of your life walking around with doubt because you feared failure?

You have a nice little tag line or quote from Mr. Puller in your signature, do you think Chesty was worried?

What would Chesty do?

aust10n
02-29-08, 12:14 PM
My chest is like yours. They don't care how you chest is shaped. Some peoples are A symetrical and others aren't. They won't (probably can't) DQ you for how your chest is formed.
As for your collar bone, I don't know man.

davblay
02-29-08, 12:20 PM
My hero, CHESTY PULLER got his nick name for having a BARRELL chest, It's din't keep him out! A lot of people have mis shaped chest for no reason other than that is the way the were borned! Don't sweat the small stuff, and never sweat things that haven't happened yet! GO FOR IT!

JMHO,

Dave

David Jameson
02-29-08, 02:43 PM
Don't worry about little ****

The Dude22
02-29-08, 03:19 PM
You ain't got nothing on me and my collar bone. I broke it playing football and never let it heal right because I didn't want to sit the season out so I got a lump that sticks out a good inch in the middle of my clavicle where the bone grew back incorrectly. It can be painful at times when I run, but nothing I can't push through. The secret is you just tell them it doesn't hurt and it won't affect your performance and they'll clear you. But you can't change your story. If you say it's fine once, it's fine everytime anyone asks you about it from then on out. They took pictures of it at MEPS and had me sent for an orthopedic consolation for a 2nd opinion but I was cleared. It's just precautionary for anyone with anything that is F'ed up on them so they have two doctors saying you're good to go instead of just one, and it's off that military doctor at MEPs back if something was to happen to you. If it causes you pain, but it's not that bad, and you really want to be a Marine, my best suggestion is to just not say anything about it. If they notice it say it doesn't hurt. You're going to suffer pain through bootcamp regardless, it all comes down to how bad do you really want to earn that title of Marine?

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-29-08, 03:20 PM
Other than the eye surgery I don't see anything that even really sounds like a problem. If you can get all of the documents about your surgery before you go to MEPS you can save yourself a lot of trouble.

Just be honest and tell them everything there is to know. If you aren't having any problems now, chances are good that they'll let you in.

Phantom Blooper
02-29-08, 03:29 PM
E4B beat me to it the wrong answer is not to tell them. Tell them at MEPS and be honest and upfront. Let the chips fall where they may.

If it is only cosmetic you have nothing to worry about. If it needs medical treatment you need to know one way or the other if you will have trouble further down the road with age related problems.

If it gives you pain and you can stand it so be it. If you don't tell and provide what you have from the doctor and you are on a TD and get hurt and have to hospitalized and you didn't tell.....it's FRAUD!

You tell MEPS and the recruiter everything and let them sort it out that is what those doctors get paid for.:evilgrin:

Laura769
02-29-08, 04:41 PM
Before I went to MEPS my recuiter talked to me before about everything they would do down their. And he got all my medical documentation from previous years so there wouldn't be any issues of them saying they needed that and then me having to go back their.
Some advice I got about popping bones or what not (my knee pops when I bend down almost every time). But he told me that if they ask why is your knee popping just say you dont know, but that it doesn't bother you and does not restrict you from any activity.

Good Luck!

"you just have to go after what you want, and if it doesn't want you back then so be it, it doesn't deserve you anyways"

SlingerDun
02-29-08, 05:59 PM
I'm what some people have called "pigeon chested" or something like that?....The only thing that concerns me if anyone else has ever had, or heard of a bone deformation like this on someone else?Yes i know of it. Perhaps when you were still dragging on the tit you had an illness leading to a nutritional deficiency or vice-versa? A mild case of the rickets? Don't sweat it your not clinically a mutant, every human has conformation faults less than so called "ideal". Even the silent drill team automatons could be disected for straight line deviations by an eagle eyed cowboy.

Your robust barrel may provide for more lung capacity or superior heat retention in cold climates have you considered or tested this possibility? A working horse that has heart combined with a similar bone condition may be said to have 'bottom'. It's a desirable trait meaning they have stamina and are tough. So get out and prove up.

--->Dave

gnarkill04
03-01-08, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm definitely a lot less concerned now, and a lot more motivated. I just didn't know how common this was so I was worried but I'm pretty sure its just cosmetic because it actually doesnt hurt at all when I PT and stuff like that so I'm pretty sure I'm good. thanks again.

crazydimes85
03-01-08, 03:31 PM
If you go to MEPS and are disqualified for some reason, will that keep you from trying to enlist later on?

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 04:12 PM
I have a hearing problem borderline failure to military standards...I passed the hearing test better than I do when I normally take them. Just keep your mouth shut and youll be fine.

Phantom Blooper
03-01-08, 08:49 PM
Your motivation is killing me.........but your giving bum scoop. <br />
<br />
BY THE #'s <br />
<br />
1.) TELL MEPS IF YOU HAD A PAST MEDICAL PROBLEM. <br />
<br />
2.)IF YOU SKIRT OR BS AND SLIP THROUGH THE CRACK IT MADE BE...

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 08:57 PM
Wasn't really my way of saying it Sir. What I meant was tell only what needs to be told. Saying things can hurt you down there. Say to much or go into to much uneeded detail, and they will request medical records, and if you got something that was wrong with you prior...your ass is out!

Phantom Blooper
03-01-08, 09:11 PM
Moto I understand you and all the other poolees with prior medical problems plight...no doubt. And everyone is chomping the bit wanting to enlist...NOW and go to boot camp tomorrow.

What I am saying is the legal way is to tell them ALL if there is injury or medical documentation,and let the chips fall where they may. A waiver is a pain.....but in the long run it's lifetime insurance.

If it's an existing problem and not waived and something happens further down the road and after your career whether it be 4-20+ the VA when you claim an injury for SC it will get you nothing because it EPTE if not detected and waived.

Just my 35 year Marine and Veteran experience telling you the best policy.:evilgrin:

Motto Poolee
03-01-08, 09:22 PM
Moto I understand you and all the other poolees with prior medical problems plight...no doubt. And everyone is chomping the bit wanting to enlist...NOW and go to boot camp tomorrow.

What I am saying is the legal way is to tell them ALL if there is injury or medical documentation,and let the chips fall where they may. A waiver is a pain.....but in the long run it's lifetime insurance.

If it's an existing problem and not waived and something happens further down the road and after your career whether it be 4-20+ the VA when you claim an injury for SC it will get you nothing because it EPTE if not detected and waived.

Just my 35 year Marine and Veteran experience telling you the best policy.:evilgrin:

Very Helpful SSgt, thank you!