PDA

View Full Version : USMC Cammie Helmet covers

Eric Hood
02-28-08, 03:54 PM
By the way, when in WWII did Leathernecks get cammie helmet covers? That was after Guadalcanal-right? They had '03s there, not m-1s?
S/F
Eric

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-08, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking that it was more toward 1943 and later when the camo covers came into use.

However, here is a RARE camo helmet cover. Made in Australia for the Marines by the Aussies, since supply problems were such an issue.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//post-344-1168821722.jpg
This photo is of one in a collection 'down under' and courtesy of the US Militaria forums.

Most covers that are out there are circa 1943 and later.

One point of note, the popular idea that WWII Marines had the EGA on the helmet cover is WRONG. That didn't show up until after the war and was done during Korea and later. Anyone trying to sell as WWII a cover with an EGA on it better have photo documentation of THAT cover being worn by a MARINE in the Pacific and it better have come right from the family. That's how rare and scarce one would be, because it just wasn't done.

So, to answer the question, yes, after Guadalcanal. To both.

CdtWalker
02-28-08, 05:26 PM
Camo covers started to appeared at the very tail end of 1942 in stateside training.

And the only time you would ever see a WWII Marine with an EGA on his helmet cover is if the Marine pinned the insignia to the cover, which I have never seen photographic evidence of, but many reenactors still insist on doing so.

ggyoung
02-28-08, 05:46 PM
Now this-----when were the Marines isued the M1?

RLeon
02-28-08, 06:27 PM
After Guadalcanal.
1st Mar Div began replacing the '03 and by the end of 1943 the USMC had completely replaced the 03 Springfield with the M1 .

The Marines were hesitant at first, but after a competition they had in 1940 testing the Garand againts the Johnson and a gas operated Winchester, they chose the Garand.

ggyoung
02-28-08, 06:44 PM
Yes you are right. But you know how we Marines like to "comshaw" army gear. Done it myself in Vietnam.

RLeon
02-28-08, 08:43 PM
Yes you are right. But you know how we Marines like to "comshaw" army gear. Done it myself in Vietnam.
or have Army gear pushed on us...like when the Marines in the AEF were made to drop their P1917 uniforms in WWI.
It was done partly because the P1917 looked similar to the German uniforms and because Pershing refused to burden the AEF supply with 2 seperate uniforms...still the Marines hated switching over, it was like changing from Marpat to the ACU.
I can hear those Leathernecks now "What?! I don't want to wear that crap brown looking thing." but in a more colorful language.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-08, 06:17 AM
Bingo! LOL. The concession was (with those uniforms) that they were allowed to place USMC buttons on them instead of the Army buttons. Later on the enlisted Marines were allowed to wear the EGA collar disc.

Zulu 36
03-03-08, 06:26 AM

Being a bit of a history buff, I have read in several books on the Guadalcanal campaign that Marines began to acquire M-1 Garands very shortly after Army troops arrived on the island. I leave the acquisition methods to your imagination. :marine:

SgtHopperUSMC
03-03-08, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking that it was more toward 1943 and later when the camo covers came into use.

However, here is a RARE camo helmet cover. Made in Australia for the Marines by the Aussies, since supply problems were such an issue.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//post-344-1168821722.jpg
This photo is of one in a collection 'down under' and courtesy of the US Militaria forums.

Most covers that are out there are circa 1943 and later.

One point of note, the popular idea that WWII Marines had the EGA on the helmet cover is WRONG. That didn't show up until after the war and was done during Korea and later. Anyone trying to sell as WWII a cover with an EGA on it better have photo documentation of THAT cover being worn by a MARINE in the Pacific and it better have come right from the family. That's how rare and scarce one would be, because it just wasn't done.

So, to answer the question, yes, after Guadalcanal. To both.I have one of these on a steel pot.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-08, 04:41 PM
Now, THAT I'd like to see. If you have pics, post em! If not or you don't know how, send me a PM of em and I'll post them for you.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-03-08, 07:51 PM
Now, THAT I'd like to see. If you have pics, post em! If not or you don't know how, send me a PM of em and I'll post them for you.I will double check the pattern to make sure. It was in an attic that I was hired to clean out. Even had a German Officers Dagger. I sold that though.:(

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-08, 08:46 AM
Your killin me here LOL. And if you want to 'get rid' of that helmet 'just lying around'....

Well.....you know who to PM *hint hint*

:)

Regardless of pattern, I'd still like to see the pics.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-05-08, 08:50 PM
Your killin me here LOL. And if you want to 'get rid' of that helmet 'just lying around'....

Well.....you know who to PM *hint hint*

:)

Regardless of pattern, I'd still like to see the pics.Here it is. It is dated 1955. It is rough. looks like kids got to play with it. It took me awhile to get this picture the right size. I will try to add helment also.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-05-08, 08:57 PM
Here it is. It is dated 1955. It is rough. looks like kids got to play with it. It took me awhile to get this picture the right size. I will try to add helment also.Photo of helment in gallery.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-08, 08:37 AM
Thanks much! Very cool pic. How did you determine the '55 date? DSA stamp?

Finger
03-08-08, 09:23 AM
Bingo! LOL. The concession was (with those uniforms) that they were allowed to place USMC buttons on them instead of the Army buttons. Later on the enlisted Marines were allowed to wear the EGA collar disc.

I wish I had a pair of those EGA collar disks. They are rare now and very pricey.

I have the WW1 helmet and a WW1 era large EGA like they would put on the helmet.

Great thread! Maybe we should start a collectors section.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-08, 11:44 AM
They run about 1-300 bucks but sometimes...you can blunder into a set for less.

The EGA's on the WWI helmets were typically applied AFTER the fighting stopped, by Marines on the way back home. Since the servicemember got to keep his helmet, 1 uniform, and gas mask, they started to personalize the helmets while on ship coming back. That's also, FYI, where almost all of the camo painted or decorated WWI helmets originate from now. So, while still WWI helmets, they aren't exactly 'as worn'.

I like the idea of a collector thread....and will be done ASAP!~

Eric Hood
03-08-08, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Marines!!
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-08, 12:09 PM
You are welcome! And, I've started a collector thread. Feel free to post anything you have in there!

SgtHopperUSMC
03-08-08, 01:16 PM
Thanks much! Very cool pic. How did you determine the '55 date? DSA stamp?It was located on the desert camo side of the cover. About all I could still read was 1955. Did you see the entire helment or just the cover. I put it on the gallary.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-08-08, 01:18 PM
Here it is. It is dated 1955. It is rough. looks like kids got to play with it. It took me awhile to get this picture the right size. I will try to add helment also.http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/3/5/0/6/6/100_2032_thumb.jpg (http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1076&c=1&userid=35066)

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-08, 01:30 PM
That is the 'correct' placement for the DSA (the old Defense Supply Agency) marking, I imagine on one of the 'flaps' of the cover.

I'd be curious to see the helmet without the cover, but didn't want to impose. Pics of the front, reverse, the bales (what the chinstrap on the outside goes on) and the liner itself.

On the very inside top of the liner will (or should be) a marking of some type that may, or may not, give you a date of manufacture of the liner. This will also help date the helmet itself.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-08-08, 04:41 PM
I'll post pictures in the next day or so.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-09-08, 06:22 AM
Cool! When and if you get the time. No rush.

ronr418
08-21-08, 03:19 PM
Would love to get my hands on a Marine WWII helmet. I think it was at Tarawa where the Marines first wore the helmet cover into battle.

michaelPC
08-21-08, 06:04 PM
Looks like they used that pattern up into the late 50s as well.

US Marines on patrol in Beirut, during the American military intervention of 1958.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/bm-21/US_Marines_Beirut_1958.jpg

kentmitchell
10-19-08, 08:01 AM
RE Helmet cover
Its introduction also helped coin a phrase that might still be in use today: Brownside out or greenside out?

kentmitchell
10-19-08, 09:08 AM
If I did this right, this is a photo of the old style helmet cover from 1957, ITR photo.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kentm0300/CampPendletonCA1958601stMarines#525886640860444325 0

kentmitchell
10-19-08, 09:10 AM
Well, I guess I updefuged it. <br />
Can't decode the method to upload photos here. Anyone who cares to help me can send instructions to kentm0300@gmail.com <br />
It's a great picture of a hard-charger at 18 YO.

kentmitchell
10-19-08, 09:13 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=218

Sgt Leprechaun
10-19-08, 09:37 AM
It was not only due to the helmet cover, but all the gear issued during that time, most specifically, the way the poncho was draped over the pack.

Zulu 36
10-19-08, 09:45 AM
It was not only due to the helmet cover, but all the gear issued during that time, most specifically, the way the poncho was draped over the pack.

It wasn't the poncho, but the shelter half which was rolled into either a short or long "blanket roll" depending on whether one was carrying the field marching pack (haversack and short roll) or the field transport pack (haversack, knapsack, and long blanket roll). Knowing how to make both blanket rolls was a skill required of all Marines.

See http://www.ww2gyrene.org/782GEAR.htm for a good overview of the old M-1941 pack system which was used well into the 1970s. I used this system until about 1976 when we got ALICE packs.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-19-08, 09:51 AM
Thanks! I couldn't remember which and guessed wrong without doing research. LOL. Shame on me.