PDA

View Full Version : What it takes to be an All-Marine wrestler

thedrifter
02-28-08, 12:48 PM
What it takes to be an All-Marine wrestler

By Lance Cpl. Thomas J. Hermesman, MCB Camp Lejeune

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Feb. 28, 2008) -- If you’re not completely insane, then you know messing with a wrestler probably isn’t the best idea. Now, a normal, everyday high school or college wrestler could probably do some damage to an average “Joe” if he got him on the ground - shoulders would start popping out, the sound of cracking elbows and knees bent in the wrong direction might resonate through the air – all the good stuff that comes with being a gladiator of the mat.

What if this titan of the ring is a combat-experienced, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program-ready, rifle, bayonet and KaBar trained lean, green killing machine? Yes that’s right - the knowledge of a professionally-trained wrestler and killer together all in the same brain housing group. It’s truly a force to be reckoned with.

The United States Marines Corps All-Marine Wrestling Team is a very impressive group of individuals that could very easily be classed among the world’s premier athletes.

These men are not only amazingly versed in the ways of wrestling, but first and foremost, they are Marines.

“We look for Marines with good Greco-Roman or Freestyle wrestling backgrounds, but first they have to be a good Marine,” said James R. Shillow, assistant coach for the All-Marine Wrestling Team.

The All-Marine team is re-established every year with tryouts that decide the team’s makeup. Camps are held at Camp Lejeune every year to determine who will make the team. Marines from every Marine Corps installation around the world are invited to show their mettle.

“No matter how long a wrestler has been with the team - be it 10 years or 10 days - everyone tries out for the team,” said Shillow. “This year has been one of our best camps; we have had a lot of great Marines come out.”

The wrestling camp is approximately two months long. It’s filled with hardcore physical training and wrestling that pushes the prospective wrestlers to their limits to shows if they have what it takes to be an All-Marine wrestler. When all this is said and done, “wrestle off’s” are held to see who will ultimately make the team.

“Normally the top one or two men in each weight class will make the team,” said Shillow. “We are grateful for the units who are sending their Marines to the camp, and allowing them to try out for the team.”

Most of our Marines who come to the camp either hear about the yearly tryouts through command messages or word of mouth. We also have the few who see our sign in the wrestling gym, and come in to learn more on how to become an All-Marine wrestler,” explained Shillow.

Two of this year’s hopefuls, who traveled to Camp Lejeune to try out for the team, are Gordon T. Simon and Terrence E. Hublard - both are stationed at Okinawa, Japan.

Simon is a heavy equipment operator from Camp Hansen. “I went to the open tournaments in Okinawa all the time. My gunny talked to me about the possibility of trying out for the All-Marine team,” said Simon. “I was injured the first day here at the tournament, but I am healed up now and back in action.”

Simon said he had wrestled in high school, so he had a good background coming in to the camp. “It feels good to be wrestling again. This is the real deal though, it’s definitely no joke,” he said.

Hublard joined the Marine Corps and trained as an aviation and logistics technician. He came out of Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, Okinawa to try out at Camp Lejeune.

Hublard said he has been wrestling all his life, so he is confident of his chances to make the team. When he originally joined the Corps he was interested in the sports option that is offered, so he is following up on his ambitions.

“This is a great opportunity. I have been looking for opportunities to wrestle so I am grateful for this chance,” Hublard said.

He learned about the tryout through the Marine Corps Community Services wrestling competitions that were held in Okinawa. Now Hublard as well as others are prepared to play a pivitol role on the Corps’ venerable wrestling team.

Ellie