PDA

View Full Version : Marines...

Parker-0321
02-28-08, 08:44 AM
Marines come in all shapes, shades, weights, sizes, and states of sobriety, misery, and confusion. He is sly as a fox, has the nerve of a dope addict, the stories of an old sailor, the sincerity of a politician, and the subtly of Mt. Saint Helen. He is extremely irresistible, totally irrational and completely indestructible.

A Marine is a Marine all his life. He is a magical creature. You can kick him out of your house but not out of your heart. You can take him off your mailing list but not off your mind. They are found everywhere... in love...in battle... in lust... in trouble...in debt...in bars and ... behind them. No one can write so seldom and yet think so much of you. No one else can get so much enjoyment out of a letter or clean clothes or a six pack.

A Marine is a genius with a deck of cards. A millionaire without a cent and brave without a grain of sense. He is the PROTECTOR OF AMERICA, with the latest copy of playboy in one pocket and a bible in the other. When he wants something it's usually 30 days leave, music that hurts the ears, a five dollar bill...or a woman he can count on.

Girls love them, mothers tolerate them, fathers brag about them, the government pays them, the police watch out for them and somehow they all work together. You can beat their bodies but not their minds.

You can tame their hearts but not their souls. He likes girls, females, women, ladies, and the opposite sex. He dislikes small checks, working weekends, answering letters, missing chow, waking up, maintaining a uniform, and the day before payday.

You may as well give in. He is your long distance lover...he is your steel eyed, warm smiling, blank minded, hyperactive, over reacting, curious, passive, talented, spontaneous, physically fit, good for nothing bundle of worry.....

And will always be there for you regardless of how long its been since you've last talked.

I didn't write that, got it in an Email. Just thought I'd share with you all. Copy paste as needed

Phantom Blooper
02-28-08, 09:12 AM
This is the PC version, the last line used to read......"Hi honey,I'm home! Take off your clothes!"

I like the non PC version better!:banana:

Nice read though with substitutions.:beer:

:evilgrin:

jetdawgg
02-28-08, 09:21 AM
This story was updated at 4:45 p.m. ET.

Earthlings have mapped the moon's surface for the past 4,000 years, but NASA's latest view is the best yet.

Scientists have created a new map of the south lunar pole with Earth-based telescopes that is 50 times more detailed than the last version, created with data from the Clementine spacecraft in 1994.

"This data is the highest resolution and the highest accuracy that's ever made of lunar south polar region," said Scott Hensley, a scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif.. Hensley and others announced the new map from the third Space Exploration Conference in Denver.

In detail of 215 square feet (20 square meters) per pixel, the map shows craters four times deeper than the Grand Canyon and hundreds of miles wide.
"It has some of the most incredible topography (http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=080227-zoom-lunar-02b.jpg&cap=Starting+from+a+wide+area+map+of+the+lunar+Sou th+Pole%2C+the+scientists+progressively+zoomed+in+ on+the+region+around+Shakleton+Crater.+Credit%3A+N ASA) in the entire solar system," said Eric de Jong, also at JPL, of the region.

NASA officials said they'll use the new map to scout the rugged terrain for robot or human landing sites, as well as investigate some longstanding lunar mysteries.

[B]Crater caches?

Many of the craters imaged have never seen direct sunlight because of their depth and location.

Such permanently shadowed areas, some scientists think, are prime spots to search for water ice (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/061018_moon_water.html) or hydrogen deposits that would normally evaporate into space from solar heating. Other observations have suggested something's there.

Whether or not the deposits spacecraft have detected are water ice or hydrogen, such lunar caches could become valuable energy, air and water for visiting astronauts.

"The image[s] ... will help us figure out where we want to go," said Kelly Snook, a lunar scientist at NASA Ames in Moffett Field, Calif., of future lunar exploration missions. "They also provide us with unique ability to answer the fundamental science questions."

Snook called the moon a "unique window" to the early solar system, explaining that the lunar surface has been witness to billions of years of planetary evolution.

Radar in space

To create the new map, scientists employed NASA's Goldstone Solar System Radar facility in the Mojave Desert.

A team of scientists there bounced microwave beams (http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=080227-earth-moon-02b.jpg&cap=Radar+signals+from+the+Goldstone+Solar+system+ Radar+are+reflected+back+to+Earth+and+received+at+ two+antennas.+By+receiving+at+the+two+antennas%2C+ three+dimensional+topographic+maps+of+the+lunar+su rface+can+be+generated.+Credit%3A+NASA) off the craggy bottom of the moon when it wobbled into view — a cycle it repeats about every month. The 3-D radar data gathered with two telescopes on three separate occasions was used to compile the new map.

"We had the best opportunity in 17 years for these observations," Hensley said, explaining that the moon's wobble was exaggerated most in 2006 when the team made their observations.

Some of the features mapped are so deep that Earth's largest volcano, Mauna Loa in Hawaii, would fit neatly inside some of the craters, Hensley said.

"It's quite impressive topography that we have here," he said.

Better maps to come

Doug Cooke at NASA Headquarters in Washington, D.C. said NASA's upcoming Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/080227-techwed-lcross-moon-smasher.html) (LRO) will soon map the entire moon in even more detail in the next few years.

"We will be getting better data," Hensley said of LRO, "...but this [map] is a big step in our understanding of this very interesting place."
All of the information should be a boon to astronauts who might visit the rough terrain of south lunar pole in the future, but in either case Hensley said simply sending spacecraft won't allow us to fully understand our lunar companion.

"This type of information is critical for us in understanding what we're getting into," Cooke said. "... to really understand it, it takes going there and seeing first-hand what you've got."

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080227-moon-pole-map.html

DWG
02-28-08, 09:26 AM
???

Phantom Blooper
02-28-08, 09:29 AM
I'll second that...it's not 16:30...... too early to drink!:beer: ???????

OLE SARG
02-28-08, 09:34 AM
Did I miss something in this thread??????????????????????

SEMPER FI,

DWG
02-28-08, 09:39 AM
It went from Marines to the moon. :scared: Don't know how! I even checked the thread header to see if I'd gone senile (or more so)!:D

jetdawgg
02-28-08, 09:41 AM
I tried to delete that post and place it elsewhere. Can one of the mods do so.

SF:usmc:

Phantom Blooper
02-28-08, 09:42 AM
BREAKING NEWS 10:42

Jetdawg Marine 1st To Go To Moon!

DWG
02-28-08, 09:47 AM
I Always Knew He Was A "Space Cadet" At Heart! :banana:

outlaw3179
02-28-08, 01:27 PM
lol...I was like wtf? I was thinking it was going to be a joke or one of those "screamers" where its supposed to scare you. Damn moonbats!

thedrifter
02-28-08, 01:34 PM
Deleted for You jetdawgg;)

I see enough of drunks when I'm working at the bar:D

Ellie