PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of the Unknown

aust10n
02-27-08, 10:50 PM
Does the Army or Marine Corps guard the Tomb of the Unkown?

Twehman
02-27-08, 11:15 PM
The Army's Old Guard.

aust10n
02-27-08, 11:26 PM
The Army's Old Guard.
That's dissapointing. I recieved an email about the men who Guard the tomb, and how to qualify. And was interested in this duty, I may have been over qualified.

How to qualify.
Height: 5'10 - 6'2
Waist: No larger than 30 waist.
2 year obligation.
Life time commitment of NO drinking and NO cursing in public.
First 6months of duty you can not speak to NO one and can watch no TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetary. A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred.

davblay
02-27-08, 11:29 PM
Does the Army or Marine Corps guard the Tomb of the Unkown?
Austin, the Army's OLD GUARD is the counterpart of the Marine Corps' 8th & I at Marine Barracks, DC! The Old Guard is the oldest unit in the Army, dates back to George Washingtons day, as a matter of fact that was his Army! They are purely ceremonial, Parades, Band, Chorus, Guard the Tomb of the Unknown, Burials in Arlington, all the fancy doings in Washington, when you see a soldier on tv in DC, he's OLD GUARD! Just like the Marines are 8th & I. It is an honor to serve in either outfit! Usually a two year tour.

http://www.tombguard.org/

That's from my best recall, of course!

Dave

aust10n
02-27-08, 11:41 PM
Austin, the Army's OLD GUARD is the counterpart of the Marine Corps' 8th & I at Marine Barracks, DC! The Old Guard is the oldest unit in the Army, dates back to George Washingtons day, as a matter of fact that was his Army! They are purely ceremonial, Parades, Band, Chorus, Guard the Tomb of the Unknown, Burials in Arlington, all the fancy doings in Washington, when you see a soldier on tv in DC, he's OLD GUARD! Just like the Marines are 8th & I. It is an honor to serve in either outfit! Usually a two year tour.

http://www.tombguard.org/

That's from my best recall, of course!

Dave

Thanks for the info about Marine Corps' 8th & I.