PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Thinking...

Flyboy11
02-26-08, 08:12 PM
A little background about myself. I DEPed in October as a reservist with an AAV unit. As time has gone on I have felt an urge to go active duty. Air Traffic Control is the MOS that im most interested in and it also has a somewhat secure future outside the Marine Corps. I know that its a stressful job since I communicate with them from the other end as a pilot quite often. My question is if anybody has any opinions on air traffic control as a job and what ATC is like in the Marines. Also with active duty is the only way to get a certain job like ATC, is by signing up for that field or is thier a way you can pick a few jobs and get assigned one of them since I also like the enlisted flight crew MOS's. Thanks.

crazymjb
02-26-08, 08:26 PM
I feel you on the urge issue... I am leaning towards going active instead of reserves now, its a tough decision to make (Either way I will be infantry).

Mike

Flyboy11
03-01-08, 10:50 PM
Well it looks like i'll be heading down to MEPS again to sign my contract.I got a AJ contract by the way which has ATC, nav., flight crew and some other aviation jobs. I cant wait to leave, June 16th is right around the corner.:yes: It also worked out because my buddy is picking up my billet at the Amtrack Reserve Unit here in Jacksonville. So were all pretty excited right now.

JSchramm08
03-01-08, 11:41 PM
So are you going Active Duty or not? I definitely think you should.

My buddy wants to get into Air Traffic Control too, but he likely won't be able to right now unless he does a lateral move along down the line.

JimmyK
03-02-08, 12:44 AM
Im a 7257. What kinds of questions do you have specifically?

As ATC, you spend A LOT of your free time studying and keeping up on ATC knowledge and procedures. Notice I emphasized a lot? Im going to do it again, YOU WILL SPEND A LOT OF YOUR LIBERTY TIME STUDYING AND KEEPING UP ON ATC PROCEDURES! I personally spend an average of 2-3 hours a night, thats on top of the time i spend at work studying. If Im not on position, I have a book open, if im on position and things are slow, I have a book open. The number one reason people dont make it in this field is the amount of personal time you have to devote to it. Most people don't want to do that, and end up just giving up basically. Also, in this MOS they have and use the authority to revocate people which means remove you from the MOS and place you wherever the Marine Corps needs bodies. So if you cant hack it or they dont think you are putting out the amount of effort necessary to keep moving up then your out of here.

And the only way I know how to get ATC is to sign an AJ option or go open contract and some how get it that way. AJ is a 5 year enlistment.

Flyboy11
03-02-08, 08:06 PM
Actually I got a couple of questions. Since the only way to get it is by signing an AJ contract, which is what im doing, how do they know its the job I want. Do they just hand it to random people or am I able to let them now its the job I would like. Thats my main question since its the job I truely want out of all of them. Also as far as studying what kinda of books. Is it like the FAR/AIM manual or is it more air traffic related. Because right now im a private pilot and know quite a few regs about aviation. Also would that help at all in getting the job or does it mean squat. Alright well I think thats about it for now I'll think of some more questions for you. Much appreciated JimmyK.

JimmyK
03-02-08, 09:13 PM
Actually I got a couple of questions. Since the only way to get it is by signing an AJ contract, which is what im doing, how do they know its the job I want. Do they just hand it to random people or am I able to let them now its the job I would like. Thats my main question since its the job I truely want out of all of them. Also as far as studying what kinda of books. Is it like the FAR/AIM manual or is it more air traffic related. Because right now im a private pilot and know quite a few regs about aviation. Also would that help at all in getting the job or does it mean squat. Alright well I think thats about it for now I'll think of some more questions for you. Much appreciated JimmyK.

You dont know which job your going to get until you get to MCT and they give you your orders to your follow on school. So if you have an AJ enlistment option you can get ATC, or Weather or I think LAAD was in there, or whatever else that that contract encompasses. I happened to luck out and get the job I wanted. Some people didnt. One of my best friends from the school house signed AJ to be Weather and got ATC, and I imagine there is some weather Marine out there who wanted ATC. Its just the luck of the draw.

If you really want to study something beforehand Google FAA Order 7110.65 and study chapter 2. The 7110 is what we call the bible in ATC. Its the rules that we all must know and apply on a daily basis.

With that in mind don't get all worked up on becoming an Air Traffic Controller and forget about the task at hand. If you want to become a Marine Air Traffic Controller you must become a Marine first so, get out there and hit the track and the pull up bar and study up on your general orders because you have to know all that before they let you play with millions of dollars worth of airplanes all day.:banana:

rvillac2
03-03-08, 01:35 AM
Good advice, L/Cpl. Keep it up.
Semper Fi,

kaboom1371
03-03-08, 01:47 AM
With that in mind don't get all worked up on becoming an Air Traffic Controller and forget about the task at hand. study up on your general orders because you have to know all that before they let you play with millions of dollars worth of airplanes all day.:banana:

I thought they were just little blips that you moved around on the screen.."pushing tin" lol :evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
03-03-08, 07:40 AM
Very good advice Lcpl JimmyK....the only problem I see is the title of the post from the OP....."I been thinking.":evilgrin:

Flyboy11
03-03-08, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the advice LCpl. JimmyK I'll just do my thing and hope I get ATC. If not well I'll make the best of of it and my life wont be over because im not enlisting to be a ATCer but a Marine. Also to SSgt. Phantom Blooper its not thinking anymore, heading to MEPS next week to sign my new contract cant wait to graduate and get this ball rolling. Heading to pull-up bar for some moto pt. Thanks appreciate the advice from all of you so far.

ttracker65
03-04-08, 01:50 AM
AHHHHH my primary was 1833 when i went back in 1989 i went reserves 7222 and I was bored out of my skull. What I mean you are talking about leaving an MOS that is in the thick of things to an MOS that is.......Not exactly......I do not know the right words except to say it is a good job for a 9 to 5er