PDA

View Full Version : Getting from LAX to 29 palms?

Achped
02-26-08, 06:41 PM
In NC there are constant shuttle services from Raleigh to Camp Lejeune, is there anything like this out there?

Marine84
02-26-08, 06:50 PM
LOL! You used to be able to use your thumb if you didn't have a ride but,...............looks like you'll be introducing yourself to Greyhound. LAX is a good drive to 29 Stumps.

usmchauer
02-26-08, 06:50 PM
Greyhound is all that I remember.

LeonardLawrence
02-26-08, 07:19 PM
Nope. Bus is your only option on the cheap. Friends from LA might help for gas money.

mike christy
02-26-08, 07:20 PM
:thumbup: Rode my thumb from the Stumps to Palm Springs many a weekend back in '77, don't know if I'd try it today.

grizzly
02-26-08, 08:04 PM
For what its worth I remember when i came aboard at the stumps in 79 that when we arrived at palm springs airport there was a phone number posted on a military affairs board,to call 29 palms ood (officer of the day) and a bus would be dispatched to the airport to pick us up,about an hr drive each way,you probably ought to call 29palms ood,or TMO (transportation management) and they may be able to advise you what is available or protocol.I believe at that time there was also a local bus company that did scheduled runs from the stumps to the airport in palm springs:scared:

usmchauer
02-26-08, 11:05 PM
Now that I remember it, there used to be a shuttle called "Cloud 9" that would take Marines from SD Airport to Pendleton. It was like $20. Alot more "friendly" than Greyhound, some of those bus depots can be a bit dodgy. Not sure if they have something like that at LAX but might be worth checking into.

Braden
02-26-08, 11:42 PM
I believe there is a shuttle from base to Palm Springs, but you'll more than likely have to take a greyhound or take a cab from Palm Springs to LAX.

SlingerDun
02-27-08, 12:27 AM
Gather a couple more guys and rent a car with insurance, GPS and save your receipts. Even alone it will be a fraction of the taxi price and no tip and it should be smell better than SoCal greyhound.

--->Dave

ggyoung
02-27-08, 11:24 AM
In the 60's the only way was from LAX to Banning on a good bus. Banning to the Stumps on a bad bus called " the Banning Bullet" This would take a great amount of time. You would have to pull over to let the Bullet cool down. This would happen a few times on the way there. Some guys would end up reporting in 24 hours late. No problem is was the Bullet's fault. Lots of fun. But no matter what it was my favorite duty station.

jebollenbach
02-27-08, 11:53 AM
You can always take a shuttle flight from LAX to Palm Springs and then there is a bus that runs to 29 Palms on a regular schedule.

ggyoung
02-27-08, 01:29 PM
One time I flew into Palm Springs and there was a guy who offered to fly me to the town of 29 Palms in a little piper cub. I called the officer of the day witch turned out to be a 2ed LT. in 5th 5inch. He drove out and brought me back. That 2ed Lt. was all Marine. He was a MSTGS before he was a LT.

SgtThrasher
02-27-08, 04:23 PM
G.G,I also remember flying to LAX and Greyhounding to
Banning. There were other buddies in route to 29 Palms
to form 5th 8" howitzer (SP).We were all lost and bewildered
when we were told this was the only way to 29 Palms .We boarded the infamous "Banning Bullit" and the old gent,
wearing a straw hat finally got us there.This was 1966 and California not Mayberry,alas
almost 24 hours late we checked in but nothing was said.
The CO new about the" Banning Bullit" .I thought I had
arrived on the moon,But was the best duty station I had.
17 months training there before Vietnam. :evilgrin:

Dave Coup
02-27-08, 04:42 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Matt
PM me, I live in L.A. maybe I can help

Dave
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ggyoung
02-27-08, 04:51 PM
Sgt. Thrasher was in my 8in. howitzer sp section at 29 Palms. He was the most squared away Marine I have ever seen. I was his section chief and I believe he taught me more than I ever taught him. He has been here to Utah hunting deer with me. What a good Marine he was and still is.

SgtThrasher
02-27-08, 05:29 PM
Sgt Young,
You're too kind.You were an excellent Section Chief @ the
stumps and we had many fire missions that helped me be
a Section Chief in Vietnam.I always enjoyed the 5 Deer hunts with you in Utah and I agree, 29 Palms was the best
duty station for old gun grunts like us and we had wonderful Marines to fellowship with that still continues.:thumbup:

geneo204
02-27-08, 07:59 PM
Lax, has some of those Blue Shuttle's that might be going ther, I think
it is about 25 miles or so to the Stumps. or you might as some Cabbie's
how much to the bus stop. alway's get a price first, but the blue shuttle
might be a good bet, especially if there is some other Marines sharing the
price.