PDA

View Full Version : Recruiter Question

JJA1990
02-26-08, 06:16 PM
Well first of all I would like to formally introduce myself, as I am farily new around here. My name is John, I am 17 and still in highschool. I recently met my recruiter SSgt. Cranford who seems to be a really good guy. I had a friend from my church seriously consider the Marines, and then switch to the Air Force. SSgt. Cranford still helped him with the transition.

http://our.marines.com/cms_content/showvideo/type/wis/rel_id/127

Anyways this evening an Army recruiter called me and we talked for about 5 minutes. I am not really interested, but I showed enough that he offered to set up a meeting. When I met with the Marine recruiter he basically left it up to me how and when we met and talked. I wondered if Marine recruiters do this on purpose-in order to get kids who are really interestesd? Is the Army more incessant because they want anyone and everyone? Well, it was just an observation and I could be wrong-but thanks for your input.

TSchultz
02-26-08, 06:33 PM
I don't remember who told me this but I like to think of it like this:

Do you ever see adds for the Lambourghini? When something is the best, It does not need to advertise, because everyone knows that it is the best. Same deal with the Marine Corps. The Marines corps is a Lambourghini, the Army is a Toyota Yaris.

SGT7477
02-26-08, 07:07 PM
You boys are learning and don't forget, Marines Do It Best.

Patriot34
02-26-08, 08:38 PM
Is the Army more incessant because they want anyone and everyone? Well, it was just an observation and I could be wrong-but thanks for your input.

First of all, welcome to Leatherneck.com. Read the rules, fill out your profile, and always show respect to Marines. If you remember these rules, you'll be ok.

sawatzke82
02-26-08, 08:54 PM
The only thing the Army recruiters ever really talked about when they called was $$$. The Marine corps simply offered a challenge and a title that would last a lifetime. Needless to say it was a simple decision.

KevinR90
02-26-08, 09:10 PM
I noticed that about the money. I don't think I would like it as much if I joined one of the branches just because of a huge bonus for signing up. I don't know how to phrase it- but picture this (it might be an extreme but it works), "I joined the Army for the huge bonus up front, once i'm done with my enlistment i'm out" versus "I joined the Marine Corps to be the best of the best, for the challenge, and for a chance to defend my country"

You should want to join the military because it's a good thing to do for yourself and your country- not for money. Funny that I can actually use this phrase, but it's the overjustification effect. If i'm sure i'm going to join the military, but join the Army for its huge bonus, that detracts from the real reason why you joined in the first place.

I'm not saying anything bad about the Army, and I know those "quotes" i put up there^ are extreme and don't really capture the real reason why people join the Army- i'm sure they do it for good reasons. Maybe they just have a different way of thinking- maybe along the lines of "If i'm going to join the military and serve my coutnry, why don't I join the branch i'll get the most out of." Then it doesn't seem so bad.

And hey, i'll be really happy if I get a bonus- but the difference is I won't be upset if I don't. If I wanted money I would have joined the Army. Besides, people are still serving their country and I respect that. The Army just has more money to give out so why not use it to attract people.

BlindZeal08
02-26-08, 10:47 PM
I'll leave you this little story so you can hopefully judge, keep in mind that not all recruiters are like this, and that you shouldn't listen to my words alone, it's your life and your decisions. This is just to give you a general understanding of how the Army recruits in my area:

My recruiter had an appoitment with a person that was interested in joining. The kid couldn't find the Marine recruiting office and went to the Army one. My recruiter called him several times, he said he was on his way ( The Army people were intimdating the kid to stay in their office and take the EST for them ).

My rercruiter calls him, his phones off. Call him 10 minutes later, kid picks up the phone and says I am at the Army office, taking the EST. My recruiter walks over there, asks the E-7 recruiter if there was a kid there by the name of so and so. She lied and said "no, theres noone here by that name". My recruiter says I just talked to him and he said he was in here taking the test...She says: "Nope, noone in here by that name". He walks back there, the kid is in the room on the computer. My recruiter walks into their office which had 7 recruiters in it, and cussed all of them out and blasted all of them, and none of them did jack **** or said a single word. He took the kid back to his office. Needless to say, later all of the Army recruiters appologized to him.

I think it's obvious to say the underminded tatics ( I have plenty of other stories, from just the office here ), and the non stop offers of being 10 feet tall and bullet proof, and having $40,000 enlistment bonuses is rather SELLING you your career. The recruiters treat you like a car salesmen would treat someone that has no knowledge about cars. Your just a huge money sign to them.

Hell, the Army recruiters up here don't even have poolee functions or anything. They talk to the kids one time, sign up, and they're off. They did their part, they don't give a **** about what happens. Your just another body. They are also diliberatly sabotaging one of my buddies up here so he can't switch over and join the Marine Corps.

The Marines have active Poolee programs to get you ready for Boot Camp and being a Marine. Granted, you won't learn everything. But then again thats what Boot Camp, SOI and all the other schools are for. To me it seems that the Army has a stance of quanitity over quality work, and they do whatever they can to achieve that quanitity. ANYTHING.

Again this is just what I have seen, so please don't take this as the word of god or something. Good luck in your decision.

jungholee90
02-27-08, 12:05 AM
Are you already enlisted in DEP for Marines? If you are, I thought it wasn't allowed for other branch to try to get you to transfer.

But I actually did get a call from Army as well after I enlisted in USMC DEP. I told him that I am already enlisted in Marine Corps, and he said, "Did you know that Army gives like 40k signing bonuses unlike the Marines?" All I said was, I am not joining Marine Corps for the money. It always sounds like Army recruiters are using those money as the tool to get people in. In my opinion that's just wrong.. Marines have that sense of family-like brotherhood that Army do not have. That's one of the reasons I picked the Marine Corps.

JayBee
02-27-08, 10:48 AM
The first time I walked into my local RSS I noticed it was a long hallway with visibly 3 doors. (USMC, Army, NAVY)On the left I saw huge oversized checks with people who recently enlisted's picture, job, and how much of a signing bonus they got for joining the Army. The Marine Corp. was my first choice branch when I was in High School, but I wasn't positive when I went to the RSS. ( I've been out of HS almost 3 years now) But without having to talk to any recruiters, just seeing each sides of the hallway, the Army side, and the Marine side, it was a no brainer. I've already taken my ASVAB, now I'm just cleaining out my system so I can go to MEPS and swear in.

JJA1990
02-27-08, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

No I am not a DEP yet, and no I am not interested in the Army. I just thought it was funny.

The Army guy kept telling me that "I have nothing against the Marines, nothing at all.. But being a Marine is good for just that, being a Marine."

TSchultz
02-27-08, 03:31 PM
what does that even mean?

drillinstructor
02-27-08, 03:37 PM
Young men and women join the services for so many different reasons like money, college etc. Young Marine poolees from the start of time have joined the Marine Corps for the title, brotherhood and being part of the best branch in the world. You decide, Do you want more college money or the title of US Marine?

SGT7477
02-27-08, 04:29 PM
Young men and women join the services for so many different reasons like money, college etc. Young Marine poolees from the start of time have joined the Marine Corps for the title, brotherhood and being part of the best branch in the world. You decide, Do you want more college money or the title of US Marine?
That is very true the title Marine speaks for itself.:flag:

JJA1990
02-27-08, 10:29 PM
I didnt post this beause I am at all interested in anything but the Marine Corps. I was just simply interested if others new some of the tactics.

I think he was basically just trying to tell me the title was only good part about it.

aust10n
02-27-08, 11:03 PM
This reminds of what my recruiter told a guy in the office when he asked about bonuses.
Kid: "What kind of bonuses do you offer, and how much?"
Recruiter: "We will discuss that once you go through meps and choose a job. We don't buy friendships."

He then told me that only about 15% of people who join the Army get those big bonuses they offer. Army recruiters fail to tell people that you have to qualify for them.