PDA

View Full Version : Marine or marine?

Osotogary
02-26-08, 02:47 PM
I've been a member now for, I'm guessing, a little over five years now and this question I am about to ask I don't really recall asking it or if I saw this question and following answer before....bear with me.
I just finished reading a book about Marine Corps Scout/Snipers in Iraq and the word "marine" was always written with a lower case "m" unless the word "marine " was starting a sentence. My question is, when is it proper to capitalize the M in Marine? I know that a lot of good natured ball busting gets directed to those, especially, poolies and newbies who do not capitalize the word Marine. What's the scoop? My guess is that as soon as the word becomes "formal" as in United States Marine Corps or at the beginning of a sentence, eg., Marine, what the %$#@ are you doing?, the M is upper case; all other usages of the word Marine are begin with a lower case m. Am I on the right track, Marines or marines?
Gary

outlaw3179
02-26-08, 03:12 PM
Marine should always be capitalized.

jetdawgg
02-26-08, 03:17 PM
Marine should always be capitalized.

:usmc: Agree:usmc:

MarineNCO
02-26-08, 03:19 PM
Marine is to be capitalized since it refers to a title and is sometimes used in place of a proper name (e.g. Hey Marine, adjust your cover!", Vice President of Sales, Mr Jones, Public Relations Officer etc etc).

One thing I have noticed in some books when it is not capitalized is generally due to the program that checks spelling, grammar and puncuation.

About the only time I expect to see (or use) the word "marine" not capitalized is when it is used in reference to water terms (marine life for example) or as used in this sentence.

Osotogary
02-26-08, 04:31 PM
One thing I have noticed in some books when it is not capitalized is generally due to the program that checks spelling, grammar and puncuation.

The book, HOGS in the SHADOWS - Combat Stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq by Milo S. Afong, which I just finished reading, is filled with the word Marine typed with a lower case m. See "marine" so frequently I thought that maybe I was mistaken about using an upper case M when spelling Marine. Thanks for the update.
Gary

sparkie
02-26-08, 04:37 PM
Use 'M' capitol in our presence,,, That will suffice.

FistFu68
02-26-08, 04:47 PM
:usmc: THIS MILO CHARACTER WAS PROBABLY NEVER A US.MARINE? :usmc: :iwo:

Wyoming
02-26-08, 05:15 PM

That was my 1st thought.

I've seen the little m before, and it always, not only pizzed me off, but I could seem to tell that the author WAS NOT a Marine.

SGT7477
02-26-08, 05:20 PM
I've been a member now for, I'm guessing, a little over five years now and this question I am about to ask I don't really recall asking it or if I saw this question and following answer before....bear with me.
I just finished reading a book about Marine Corps Scout/Snipers in Iraq and the word "marine" was always written with a lower case "m" unless the word "marine " was starting a sentence. My question is, when is it proper to capitalize the M in Marine? I know that a lot of good natured ball busting gets directed to those, especially, poolies and newbies who do not capitalize the word Marine. What's the scoop? My guess is that as soon as the word becomes "formal" as in United States Marine Corps or at the beginning of a sentence, eg., Marine, what the %$#@ are you doing?, the M is upper case; all other usages of the word Marine are begin with a lower case m. Am I on the right track, Marines or marines?
Gary
Marine, Marines, Semper FI, Leatherneck, Got It.:evilgrin:

Osotogary
02-26-08, 06:01 PM
Marine, Marines, Semper FI, Leatherneck, Got It.
I always did get it SGT7477 but I thought that this question was a good one to ask for those not quite familiar with this website's protocol who might be lurking. I'll take the heat for asking such a question as long as someone learns appropriately from those who know.

THIS MILO CHARACTER WAS PROBABLY NEVER A US.MARINE?
FISTFU68-
Name- Sergeant Afong, M.
Billet- Scout/Sniper Team Leader
Area of Operations- City of Hit, Al Anbar Province, Operation Iraqi Freedom II,August 2004-February 2005

MarineNCO
An excellent point and an excellent example.

3531marine
02-26-08, 06:34 PM
I Use All Capital Letters Because There's So Dammed Many Old People Like Me On These Forums We Can't See The Small Letters. Thats All I Got To Say.

SGT7477
02-26-08, 06:37 PM
I always did get it SGT7477 but I thought that this question was a good one to ask for those not quite familiar with this website's protocol who might be lurking. I'll take the heat for asking such a question as long as someone learns appropriately from those who know.

FISTFU68-
Name- Sergeant Afong, M.
Billet- Scout/Sniper Team Leader
Area of Operations- City of Hit, Al Anbar Province, Operation Iraqi Freedom II,August 2004-February 2005

MarineNCO
An excellent point and an excellent example.
That's ok just so we are on the same page.:flag:

LeonardLawrence
02-26-08, 07:24 PM
Marine is the same word as describing a "soldier" an "airman" or "sailor" which do not require capitilization unless in front of a persons name.

If you are referring to an institution...Marines as a shortened version of the US Marines, it requires capitilization.

A book from those who served, should, in my opinion, be capitilized. :mad:

jetdoc
02-26-08, 08:31 PM

One thing about Jack...he uses caps for ALL WORDS, hahahah, Semper Fi brother.

FistFu68
02-26-08, 09:28 PM
:evilgrin: WOW,IM UNIMPRESSED(LOL) SO HE WAS A scout sniper MARINE :beer:

SgtHopperUSMC
02-26-08, 09:30 PM
GaryIt's a proper noun. Gee did I get that right?:scared:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-26-08, 10:01 PM
:evilgrin: WOW,IM UNIMPRESSED(LOL) SO HE WAS A scout sniper MARINE

:banana: priceless :banana:

Bruce59
02-27-08, 08:32 PM
Marineshould be capitalized, why, because we said so. Call it
tradition, but ever since the Internet and many Marine websites and all
the former Marines on those sites said capital M, then my friend,
its capital M. And I don't care if its proper or not its tradition.
Its why we stand when the Marines Hymn is played,
we don't care if the Army, Navy or Airforce don't stand, we do.
Its called TRADITION.

Bruce

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

MGySgtSki
02-28-08, 08:43 AM
Well, it should be capitalized by Marines because the Commandant ordered it so. Can't remember the exact year or the exact Commandant, but there was an order put out directing that the word Marine be capitalized. However, non Marines obviously don't fall under the authority of the Commandant and are not required to capitalize it. It's nice when they do, but I don't expect it.

S/F

Idena
02-28-08, 12:19 PM
Well, it should be capitalized by Marines because the Commandant ordered it so. Can't remember the exact year or the exact Commandant, but there was an order put out directing that the word Marine be capitalized. However, non Marines obviously don't fall under the authority of the Commandant and are not required to capitalize it. It's nice when they do, but I don't expect it.

S/F

In writing it should always be capitalized, even by non-Marines, because the AP Stylebook stipulates it so. So journalists & other professional writers have no excuse for not capitalizing the word, either! The Commandant & "The Journalist's 'Bible'" agree on that!

jetdoc
02-28-08, 04:19 PM
"Marine", as in United States Marine Corps,

"marine", as in squid, lowest form of marine life, hehe.

Osotogary
02-28-08, 04:49 PM
So, I guess the answer is.....YES, Marine, in the context of referring to the United States Marine Corps, should always have a capital (uppercase) M.
Thanks to all of you for your enthusiastic replies. I'm thinking that this thread should part this website's guidelines for those other than Marines.
Once again, many thanks.
Gary

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-28-08, 04:55 PM
Post...MARCH!

ecfree
03-10-08, 07:33 PM
Allways use a capotil "M"

And then kiss my ring.
SEMPER FI

ExPISCDI83
03-10-08, 07:55 PM
Marine is to be capitalized since it refers to a title and is sometimes used in place of a proper name (e.g. Hey Marine, adjust your cover!", Vice President of Sales, Mr Jones, Public Relations Officer etc etc).

About the only time I expect to see (or use) the word "marine" not capitalized is when it is used in reference to water terms (marine life for example) or as used in this sentence.

I agree with MarineNCO (see above)!!!:thumbup:

ecfree
03-10-08, 08:15 PM
Man if I knew how to spell,I would have made my
4th star.......:]
SEMPER FI MARINES

hrscowboy
03-10-08, 08:19 PM
Better never ever let me catch a Squid sittin on his arse with my Marine Hymn playin cause i will snatch his arse..

DWG
03-11-08, 06:56 AM
Man if I knew how to spell,I would have made my
4th star.......:]
SEMPER FI MARINES

Hell, officers can't spell, they just know how to use "Power Point!" (and spell check):D

jrhd97
03-11-08, 07:58 AM
In writing it should always be capitalized, even by non-Marines, because the AP Stylebook stipulates it so. So journalists & other professional writers have no excuse for not capitalizing the word, either! The Commandant & "The Journalist's 'Bible'" agree on that!
HOLY SH#T!!!! The Commandant and the press agree on something :scared:. Don't let the press find out :D

E5NAMKROW
03-11-08, 01:46 PM
Capital "M" always OORAH Marine Corps

Eric Hood
03-11-08, 01:49 PM
It shows a real political agenda, hard left wing, hate America, when written with a lower case. This is what the pink harlot(The New York Times) always does.
MARINE:usmc:

CHOPPER7199
03-11-08, 04:51 PM
Well, Did One Ever Learn In English Class. The Name Of A Person, Place, Or Thing, Was To Have Been Capitlized? I Think We Cover Two Of Them,( 1) Being A Person (2) Being A Thing, The Meanest Fighting Machine. Just My Thoughts On It. Ooorah

FoxtrotOscar
09-14-16, 09:17 AM
Old thread about capitalizing that "M" in Marine...!!!

Still pertains to this day....

:beer:

USMC 2571
09-14-16, 10:52 AM
Absolutely, Mike.

"He served as a Marine"
"The Marine Corps trains you well"
"He studied to be a marine biologist"
"The boat store sells marine equipment".
"A Marine unit from Camp Lejeune was sent into action".
"They scheduled a marine expedition to study sea life"

and so forth. Branch of the US military vs the ocean.

USMC 2571
09-14-16, 10:54 AM
Problems occur when saying "A Marine unit landed and studied marine life in the seas", but never mind about that example. LOL

m14ed
09-17-16, 03:02 AM
I've been a member now for, I'm guessing,
a little over five years now and this question
I am about to ask I don't really recall asking it
or if I saw this question and following answer before....bear with me.

I just finished reading a book about Marine Corps Scout/Snipers in Iraq
and the word* "marine" was always written with a lower case "m" unless the word "marine " was starting a sentence.

My question is,
when is it proper to capitalize the M in Marine?
I know that a lot of good natured ball busting gets directed
to those, especially,
poolies and newbies who do not
capitalize the word* Marine.

What's the scoop?
My guess is that as soon as the word
becomes "formal" as in United States Marine Corps
or at the beginning of a sentence,
eg., Marine, what the %$#@ are you doing?,
the M is upper case;
all other usages of the word* Marine
are begin with a lower case m.

Am I on the right track, Marines or marines?

Gary

This thread is almost old enough to shave ???

for as long as it has been running -
Marines know the TITLE - M capitolized
because Marine is a title

the book Gary read perhaps was written
by a US Marine-

but did you ever consider the PUBLISHERs
editor who proof read it before printing
was a doggie ?

m = word - M = TITLE

FoxtrotOscar
09-17-16, 12:06 PM
This thread is almost old enough to shave ???

for as long as it has been running -
Marines know the TITLE - M capitolized
because Marine is a title

the book Gary read perhaps was written
by a US Marine-

but did you ever consider the PUBLISHERs
editor who proof read it before printing
was a doggie ?

m = word - M = TITLE

OLD it may be Ed, but to this day I still see many that fail or are just to plain lazy to correctly CAPITALIZE that "M" in Marine...

FistFu68
09-18-16, 01:33 PM
A lower form of Marine Life ! :usmc:

SGT7477
09-18-16, 05:58 PM
A lower form of Marine Life ! :usmc:

That would be Squid as our DI's taught us,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Kegler300
09-19-16, 06:57 PM
Common nouns and proper nouns ... we be proper nouns!

advanced
09-20-16, 07:50 AM
Common nouns and proper nouns ... we be proper nouns!

Keg - it should be "we be's proper nouns."