PDA

View Full Version : Wounded warriors hit the slopes

thedrifter
02-26-08, 05:09 AM
Wounded warriors hit the slopes
KEVIN FORSYTHE
2008-02-26 00:30:00
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Nine local Marines and their families spent this past weekend on a ski getaway to the mountains of West Virginia - hitting the slopes, doing some skiing and even learning how to snowboard.

No big deal - right? It is a big deal when the Marines are from Camp Lejeune's Wounded Warrior Barracks.

Dave Begg, executive director of Challenged Athletes of West Virginia, said the Marines were a determined group of students.

"It was really striking how the Marines never gave up and all of them achieved in a very short time," Begg said.

For Ed Salau, eastern area director for the Wounded Warrior Project, and himself wounded in combat, it's not surprising that the Marines accomplished so much on the slopes.

"If they wanted the easy way out of things they never would have become Marines," Salau said.

Timing for the trip to Snowshoe Resort could not have been more perfect. Earlier that week the slopes received 10 inches of fresh snow.

"The experience was very painful; there was a lot of snow my face became involved with," Lance Cpl. Tyler Baker joked.

The trip was the first to Snowshoe for a group from Camp Lejeune's Wounded Warrior Barracks. But Begg doubts it will be the last.

"We don't really market something like this, but when these guys get back I'm sure they'll tell everyone about it," he said. "I'm confident in saying that it is likely to be an annual event that will get bigger every year."

Salau said that future trips like the one to Snowshoe will be possible only if there is available funding.

For some, making the commitment to attempt skiing can be a big hurdle in itself.

"Getting them out there in the first place is a big thing. First they have to get over their own initial stigma that 'I'm different and might not be able to do this.' But then they achieve some success and things begin to build and they soon think, 'I can be as good as others on the slopes,'" Begg said.

Learning to ski or snowboard is far from the only lessons learned.

"Eventually you'll see this being carried over in to their everyday life - realizing they can set and accomplish goals they might not have thought about," Begg added.

Begg knows what he's talking about. Himself an amputee, Begg not only is executive director of Challenged Athletes of West Virginia, but is also a certified ski instructor.

"I'm an amputee and somebody helped me to learn to ski; I have to give something back," he said.

Teaching those with physical challenges how to ski and snowboard can require a special kind of person to serve as instructor.

"Our instructors adapted to our needs; they were very patient," Cpl. Roman Goddeau said.

For Erwin Berry, one of the volunteer ski instructors, the Marines weren't alone in coming away with new perspectives and a sense of accomplishment.

"It's not only an honor being with (the Marines) but very humbling too. When you meet them, and understand what they've seen and been through besides the physical trauma, it's overwhelming to me," Berry said.

Like Begg, Berry was surprised by how many of the Marines wanted to jump right in and learn snowboarding rather than sticking to skiing, which is easier.

"The first day on a snowboard is always hell," said Berry. "They were extremely ambitious and very highly motivated to learn. They did a great job."

Begg is quick to credit his staff and volunteers for much of the success experienced by the Marines from the Wounded Warrior Barracks. He said that it was also very common to see other skiers helping out too.

"The volunteers and staff really stepped up over the weekend. An event like this really brings out the best in all of us," Begg said.

Surprisingly, in most cases, standard equipment is used by those with physical disabilities.

"There sometimes are specialized pieces of equipment, but we're always trying to use the least restrictive equipment possible," Begg said.

Begg said the intent in using "special" equipment is to help shorten the learning curve and reduce frustration.

"After all, we're teaching independence here," he added.

Specialized equipment can vary, from tether straps attached to a pair of skis to a bi-ski (a seat attached to a double ski).

Initially, the trip was intended to be for the Marines and one guest. But several Marines asked if they could bring additional family members. Soon the decision was made to allow the Marines and their entire family to attend if they would like.

They all were provided lodging, three meals a day, lift tickets, equipment rentals and lessons.

Funding for the trip was provided by the Wounded Warrior Disabled Sports Project, Snowshoe Resort and Challenged Athletes of West Virginia.

Contact military reporter Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171, ext. 8449. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie