PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast brings active, retired Marines together

thedrifter
02-25-08, 03:30 PM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.-- The smell of coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage flooded the room as a hungry crowd anxiously glanced at the covered food. While they waited for the serving to begin, they talked and laughed, reminiscing about war stories and comparing today’s Marines to those they remember throughout six decades of service.

The Regiment of Retired Marines hosted a Retired Military Breakfast here Feb. 23. The guest speaker at the event was Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder, commanding general, II Marine Expeditionary Force.

Stalder covered many topics in his speech focusing on the Corps’ expansion.

“We are growing the Marine Corps by 27,000 Marines,” Stalder said. “General Conway sat down with the Secretary of Defense and said we need more soldiers and Marines if we are to keep the tempo in Iraq and Afghanistan. Congress agreed and we are in the process of doing it right now.”

He also spoke of the new technology being applied in Iraq.

Stalder discussed several of the methods currently used to protect Marines, such as Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles and dogs trained to sniff explosives off leash without putting handlers at risk.

Overall, the information was very useful for active and retired Marines alike.

“I enjoyed it,” said Lt. Col. Thomas Leonard, the deputy G-9 for the Innovation and Technology section, G-9, II MEF. “I have been trying to get to one for a year. I think it is good what the general said to the retirees, so they can keep up on what is happening in the Corps.”

The breakfast is held every other month and open to all ranks of the military, active and retired.

I think all active duty Marines should attend at least one of these breakfasts,” Leonard said. “It is really a great opportunity to meet people who fought in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. It is an excellent opportunity for everyone to learn from each other.”