PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma.

Lupisella
02-25-08, 02:56 PM
Hey everyone, before I go ahead asking tons of questions let me introduce myself first. My names Mark and I just recently joined the DEP. My father was a Marine, and my older brother is a Marine and I'm all about it. So yah, I'm pumped for joining so I went ahead got the ball rolling and took the ASVAB test and got a 70 with a GT score of 110. Now the dilemma is I really don't have the slightest idea in picking a MOS. My father thought I was always going to be the 'smart son' who went to college but this is not the case. I can't wait to go through boot camp. But yah, since I'm going in my dad was telling me to go into the Intelligence field, which I'm not really to 'into' the idea, yet I don't know much about it. I am an intelligent person and I do use computers a lot but I really don't know. My recruiter's MOS had to do something with Amphibious Assualt which sounded interesting but I guess it has to do a lot with water? I don't mind water but I'd just rather not have my job around it. Infrantry is what catches my mind the most just because I wanna be in the fight. I wanna do cool stuff and all that. Just I know the parents won't go for it. So I want to know if anyone knows a job that i'll get to use a lot of guns and that kind of stuff but also one that the parents would go for. Haha, this is probably crazy but if you had to mix the Infrantry field with the Intelligence field what would you get ?

Thanks in advance,

Lupisella

Phantom Blooper
02-25-08, 03:01 PM
A VERY EDUCATED GRUNT.............DANGEROUS!:evilgrin:

RockSteady85
02-25-08, 03:04 PM
Well what I would recommend is doing a search with something along the lines of "Marine Corps MOS descriptions" and see what you get. I know they have a whole list like that on the US Military part of About.com and I used it a lot in picking my top 3 choices for my MOS to come from. You should also talk to your recruiter - he has met you face-to-face and has had at least a little interaction with you, so I think he would be a great help. But only you know what would work best as an MOS for you.

Hope this helps :-)

sparkie
02-25-08, 03:06 PM
Shoot and ask questions at the same time. Sorry, can't figure an MOS for that one. Good huntin, Kid.

gnarkill04
02-25-08, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking artillery? Forward observer [one of the MOS' I'm hoping for] involves a lot of math and a GT score of 100 or higher or something like that. So you'd be good to go with that.

crazymjb
02-25-08, 04:15 PM
Hey man, I am assuming you are out of my RSS (SSgt Caruso just left, and SNCOIC is Amphib Assault, and I believe you are in my district), have you been to any of the PTs (Tues and Thurs)?

Anyway, artillery forward observer is supposed to be a great job, but one of the Marines at the RSS who is finishing up MCT right about now had it in his contract, but due to "needs of the Corps" he was stuck in logistics and supply.

Honestly if you are looking for action you probably have your best shot of seeing it in a Combat MOS. The thing that comes to mind is Armor (tanks), because it deals with technology and at the same time you get in on the action.

Mike

killerinstinct
02-25-08, 04:23 PM
you know try on for something like a crew chief or something you get to see alot of things

Lupisella
02-25-08, 09:24 PM
Yah, thanks for the input guys. And Crazymjb, my RSS was Waltham too, haha crazy. But no I haven't PTed there yet, I just joined the DEP last wednesday and that thursday I had basketball so I missed it. But I was told that sometimes it would be fine if I PTed with some other people at the RS from my town even though I don't think there's any recruiters working out of there at the moment just because Waltham is a hike. Dunno though I'm gonna try to make the ones in Waltham.

crazymjb
02-25-08, 09:28 PM
Yeah since SSgts Caruso and Bryant, and Sgt Whidbee left, there are only two recruiters between the two stations and they are both working out of RSS Waltham.

Mike

futuremarine129
02-25-08, 09:28 PM
Yah, thanks for the input guys. And Crazymjb, my RSS was Waltham too, haha crazy. But no I haven't PTed there yet, I just joined the DEP last wednesday and that thursday I had basketball so I missed it. But I was told that sometimes it would be fine if I PTed with some other people at the RS from my town even though I don't think there's any recruiters working out of there at the moment just because Waltham is a hike. Dunno though I'm gonna try to make the ones in Waltham.

Your father and my father are friends at work, I was even at your brothers party when he got home from Iraq. Small world man, small world. Also, maybe you could look into 0621- Field Radio Operator?

Lupisella
02-25-08, 09:49 PM
Futuremarine, haha definatly a small world, thats crazy. How old are you and I take it you're joining also ?

Bullpup
02-25-08, 11:25 PM
I would suggest looking at a combat engineer job. You get to "play" (translation:handle in a professional manner) with explosives and be close to the front but not always right in it. That might be worth looking at. Beyond that though, remember that you are joining for yourself and not your parents. This is your life and I would suggest closing your eyes, forgeting what anyone else's opinion may be, and asking yourself, "what do I want to do with MY life?" Answer that, and you'll have your job. I hope you can get it.
-David

BlindZeal08
02-26-08, 10:54 AM
Whats the funnest job I can get without a security clearence? Kinda messed up at MEPs...So I have to wait a couple years to get one.

Camper51
02-26-08, 12:26 PM
Whats the funnest job I can get without a security clearence? Kinda messed up at MEPs...So I have to wait a couple years to get one.

FUNNEST???? What is that word?? The Marines aren't about FUN, they are about WAR. If you want fun why don't you look elsewhere, like maybe the chair force, or even squid alley, maybe the sojers are hiring today. This is for the Marines, not for a "fun" job. since you are not eligible for a clearance then why not take what they give you and go have "FUN"...

BlindZeal08
02-26-08, 12:28 PM
Ok, if you want to put it like that:

What is the "best" job without needing a security clearence....

yellowwing
02-26-08, 12:44 PM
Lupi, I too was thinking 1300 Combat Engineer when I read your post. Shoot a message to Covey_Rider (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=21048) about it.

rkidd4
02-26-08, 12:51 PM
Yeah I am in the same situation as you Lupisella. I got a ASVAB score of 94/125. I also want to do infantry, but I was told at MEPS that I should choose somehting else because of my score. I am going to talk to my recruiter today so hopefully he will help me decide.

Isrowei
02-26-08, 01:30 PM
I don't mind water but I'd just rather not have my job around it. Infrantry is what catches my mind the most just because I wanna be in the fight.

I hate to break it to you, but there isn't a job in the Corps that will get you away from water permanently. We are by nature an amphibious force. Our combat forces (especially infantry) are tailor-designed to fight FROM the sea.

If you're as smart as you say you are, be careful to pick an MOS that will challenge you mentally as well as physically. Plenty of Marines leave the Corps every year because they want to progress professionally further than what they can in the job they currently hold.

Good luck.

futuremarine129
02-26-08, 02:18 PM
Futuremarine, haha definatly a small world, thats crazy. How old are you and I take it you're joining also ?

Only 16 :cry: but the way I look at it, that just gives me more time to train.

SGT7477
02-26-08, 05:16 PM
Nothing to get all worried about Poolees the Marine Corp. will have it all figured out for you if you happen to graduate so don't let your poop get in a group,whew.

Phantom Blooper
02-26-08, 05:39 PM
We the Marine Corps are by nature an amphibious force.....a force to be reckoned with!

Don't sweat the small stuff being that the amphibious monsters have meta-morphed and are now a reptilian force fighting in the sand. But your world will revolve around H20 and the bitter sweet sea if you become a Marine and a grunt!:evilgrin:

crazymjb
02-26-08, 06:42 PM
rkidd4, if you want to do infantry than do infantry. I got a 99, I am doing infantry, my friend got an 89, he is doing infantry, my other friend got a 74, he's doing infantry. It is about what you want to do.

Mike