thedrifter
02-25-08, 09:39 AM
Troops in Iraq say a bit of home always welcome
David Lauderdale
dlauderdale@islandpacket.com
islandpacket.com/goincoastal
843-706-8115
Published Monday, February 25, 2008

Thanks to two local organizations for sharing follow-ups from American troops who appreciate the supplies and cookies mailed from the Lowcountry to Iraq.

The Hilton Head Navy League Council has sent many shipments of toiletries and other supplies to Marines. Members Charlotte and Jim Smith got the program going in 2004.

Following are handwritten letters the Smiths received around Christmastime from the Marines:

"Dear Charlotte,

"I'm writing to you today to thank you for the packages that were dropped off for the Marines here at Camp Ashraf, Iraq. The support from people such as yourself has been overwhelming. I can assure you that everything in the boxes will be used. Some of the treats are set aside to take out on patrol so that they can be given to the Iraqi children. Needless to say, international relations improve dramatically, if only for a few minutes!

"Just so you know where two of your packages ended up, my name is Steve Mullinax and I'm a master sergeant with Task Force NCR (National Capital Region). We are a newly-formed unit (May 2007) put together by Marines in the Washington, D.C., area that would not normally have the opportunity to deploy. For some, it's their first deployment away from home. For others, it's their third. Either way, a little bit of home is always welcome!

"We still have a while left in our deployment. In fact, we will actually be moving to another location in Iraq in order to cover a shortfall in manning that came up. Now, instead of extending a Marine unit and keeping them from their families longer than expected, they'll be home on time. Plus, we will be here no longer than we had expected, so it works out for everyone in the end.

"Thank you once again for your thoughtfulness and a special thanks to the entire Hilton Head Island Council, Navy League of the United States for its generous contribution to the morale of the Marines of Task Force NCR.

"Simper Fidelis!"

"Dear Capt. J.W. Smith and family,

"I would like to take the time to thank you for your warm thoughts and heartfelt prayers for all during the holiday season. All the Marines here in Iraq serving with me are very appreciative to be serving honorable, proud and faithful Americans like yourselves in this time of war.

"Once again, thank you for your remembrance toward those in harm's way. Thank you for the razors, shaving cream, snacks, etc.; it all went to good use.

"Best wishes & Semper Fidelis."

Cookie Lady

Following are letters or e-mails received around Christmastime by Hilton Head Islander Jeannette Cram and her Treat the Troops volunteers who have for years baked cookies and sent them to American troops (www.treatthetroops.org).

"Ms. Jeanette Cram, the Reeves family, Ms. Jill Arneman, Dan and Patti Zagers, Ms. Debbie Myers, Ms. Linda Bemister, Ms. Mary Ann Compher, Ms. Cheryl Ackerman, Ms. Mary Ann Strayer, Ms. Alison Reese,

"We Marines here at VMFA-251 have received many cookies from your wonderful organization. They have come in surprising quantities sporadically throughout our deployment and have been enjoyed thoroughly by many people. I wanted to take a

minute to send all of you a sincere thank you.

"Everything in your packages displays effort and thoughtfulness on the part of everyone involved, from the individually wrapped cookies with notes as to what's in each cookie, to the individual drink packages, candy, snacks and the shredded paper ensuring everything survives the trip.

"At a time when life seems to stand still and every long day is the same, it's the time and efforts of a bunch of special people like you that have taken the time and put the extra effort into sending familiar tastes of home.

"Receiving your individual notes of thanks and gratitude are also much appreciated. It's wonderful to see how much support we as military get from home and from our local community. Please feel free to write at any time should you have any questions or just to chat.

"Again, thank you for all that you do and your continued support!"

Staff Sgt. Don Huston

USS Enterprise

VMFA-251 FE SNCOIC

MCAS Beaufort

"Dear Jeanette and friends,

"Please excuse the mass e-mail, but I write really slow and the mail service over here can be unpredictable. I received one of your boxes of cookies and just wanted to send my sincere thanks.

"My name is 1st Lt. Peter McGrath. I am a Platoon Commander for 43 fine young American men who have volunteered to serve their country. We are with Charlie Battery, First Battalion 11th Marine Regiment out of Camp Pendleton, Calif. We are currently involved in combat operations in Iraq.

"As many of you can imagine, deployments are always a difficult thing to deal with. Many of the Marines in my platoon are married and a few now have small children they have never seen. The stresses of being away from family and serving in a combat zone seem insurmountable at times.

"It is a huge morale boost to know selfless Americans such as you are looking out for us and appreciate what we are over here doing. The amount of support we have received over the last few months from people like you has been amazing. We sincerely thank you for supporting us.

"As for the cookies ... they are delicious. If you had sent more I may have become concerned with Marines being overweight. Thank you again.

"Semper Fidelis."

"Hello! I just wanted to catch up a bit on my e-mail and say hello and let you know that everyone over here is doing OK. Some of us were sitting around the table the other day talking about things and cookies came up and we wanted to again let you and your 'Crumbs' (local volunteers) know how awesome you are.

"It is not a quick and easy thing to bake dozens and dozens and more of cookies. It is not just going out and spending some money buying cookies. What you and the Crumbs do really comes from the heart. We are so appreciative and wanted you all to know how appreciated what you do is and how highly we think of you.

"Thank you so much!"

Sean Burke & Co.

Camp Victory, Iraq

Ellie