PDA

View Full Version : Teaching the art of combat

thedrifter
02-25-08, 08:38 AM
Teaching the art of combat
KEVIN FORSYTHE
2008-02-25 00:48:00
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Marines are trained to be part of a large unit and generally get little opportunity for self expression.

But thanks to a free series of art programs sponsored by the programs department at Camp Lejeune's library, Marines and their family members are being given the opportunity to gain basic skills that will allow expression through art.

One of these opportunities is Combat Art, a series of drawing workshops. The second of these classes was conducted Saturday at the Camp Johnson Library.

"Combat Art is an art class teaching the Marines and participants some of the history of combat artists in other wars and conflicts, along with some basic drawing lessons, said Jana Guitar, the instructor.

Following a brief history of military art - including the famous "Kilroy was here," Guitar runs her students through a series of basic drawing practices and principles that allow them to gain an understanding of prospective, shading and form.

Guitar also enlightens the class on the importance art can play in a Marine's life and duty.

"When I was in South Africa (as a short-term missionary), I pulled out a large pad of drawing paper and began to draw for the street children," Guitar said. "Before long, I had a large group of children around me as I gave an impromptu art lesson."

"Art can be used in many different ways," Guitar said.

For 2nd Lt. Anthony Pasive, attending the class meant gaining insight into drawing.

"I always wanted to learn to draw, but never before had the opportunity to take a formal class. This is great, it's in a relaxed atmosphere and I've really enjoyed it," Pasive said.

The idea of the Combat Art class originated when one of Guitar's nephews, while serving with the 2nd Marine Division, was wounded in Iraq. Also an artist, his sketches of experiences in the Marine Corps and Iraq inspired the concept of the class.

"Sketching can leave an image that will last a lifetime," Guitar said.

For Lance Cpl. Matthew Holt, the class could mark the starting point of a new interest.

"I think I'll be checking out some of the drawing books here at the library and maybe keep drawing," Holt said.

That's exactly the type of thinking Guitar and the staff of Camp Lejeune library hope the classes will inspire.

"Part of function of these classes is to get Marines into the library and introduce them to the many services that are offered," Guitar said.

The Programs Department at the Camp Lejeune library has established several free art classes.

Along with drawing classes, there is a digital photography class scheduled for March 3 at the Harriotte B. Smith Library at Camp Lejeune. The photography class will be taught by USMC Division of Public Affairs Merit Award-winner Staff Sgt. Jason Jensen.

For more information about any of the art classes, or to register, contact the Camp Lejeune library staff at 910-451-6196.

Contact Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171, ext. 8449. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report, or to read others' comments.

Ellie