PDA

View Full Version : Marine Reserves

LeonardLawrence
02-24-08, 05:17 PM
Had a question that I thought I would ask and it may be of use to future recruits as well.

Do Marine Reserve Billets work on the same boatspace schedule as Active duty...ie, spaces for the year are more plentiful in October, or is it more of a vacancy affected process based on seperations and retirements?

Also any prior service now what the average wait times are for packages? Obviously personal circumstances dictate....but curious on the sit time.

Just asking for uh... a ...um....er....."friend", of course... ;)

OB MSG
02-25-08, 10:58 AM
I'm in the same boat as you for the reserves. I would say talk to a recruiter. Give em a call see what they say, or better yet go to them if you, or your...um..er "friend" want to but don't give any contact info, just say your info hunting and leave it at that.

I went around to the different branches to get some perspective on what was being offered by all. When I wouldn't give any personal info or contact info and I had a list of questions that I kept firing at them, it was hilarious to see the recruiters fidgeting and trying to swing questions around to getting info out of me. That had to be the best way I've seen to torture a recruiter.

Guess I'm just twisted that way!

LeonardLawrence
02-25-08, 08:26 PM
Thanks SSGT.

I will pass it on;)

poolee stanley
03-22-08, 12:13 PM
Is it possible to switch from enlisted to reserves?

0341FwdObs
03-22-08, 12:23 PM
It is possible, but it is typically harder than one would think. You can go from the reserves to active duty by jumping through alot of hoops, but not the other way around until your inital obligation is complete on active duty.

:iwo:"Sgt K"

poolee stanley
03-22-08, 01:11 PM
It is harder but not impossible, correct? I am sure i want to be in the Marines, and my friends boyfriend is in the reserves and he is able to go to college. i wasnt sure the the marines had reserves. i was only aware that the army did that. Semper Fi!!

Seyborg
03-22-08, 06:24 PM
if you are in the DEP, it's easy and quick.

semperfi170
03-22-08, 07:55 PM
incoming!

Poolees posting in the wrong arena. Guess they think they are Marines! Heck, they aren't even recruits yet!:evilgrin: If they can't follow simple directions now, the Drill Instructors will really have fun with them!

kbs95125
03-24-08, 05:02 PM
Cpl Lawrence,

As far as I was told when I enlisted, billet openings work the same for Reserves as far as fiscal year goes (October being your best bet with everything pretty much being open, hence why my recruiter had me wait to ship until October), but I believe you can look at Reserve Duty Online to find out about billet openings in a nearby reserve unit....

Sometimes units will have a link to billet openings on their website if they have one.

Hope that somewhat helps

SGT7477
03-24-08, 05:22 PM
incoming!

Poolees posting in the wrong arena. Guess they think they are Marines! Heck, they aren't even recruits yet!:evilgrin: If they can't follow simple directions now, the Drill Instructors will really have fun with them!
Tell you what Gunny the DI's will have their work cut out for them I wish I was one for 13 weeks but maybe not,lol. Semper FI.:flag: