PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for training

Carno
02-24-08, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone,

I was recently given the duty of keeping a deck of devil dogs gainfully employed while they wait to class up for their MOS training. They are all fresh out of MCT and currently do nothing except go to formations and clean the barracks. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for training that will keep them busy so they are not just wasting away in the barracks all day. I've already arranged some first aid classes with some FMF corpsmen, and I'm looking to have some Air Force PJ's come and give them some desert survival training, but that's about all I've come up with so far.

I can always do guided discussions and leadership classes, but I'd really like to get them outside doing something physical if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any input that anyone has.

S/F

Zulu 36
02-24-08, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I was recently given the duty of keeping a deck of devil dogs gainfully employed while they wait to class up for their MOS training. They are all fresh out of MCT and currently do nothing except go to formations and clean the barracks. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for training that will keep them busy so they are not just wasting away in the barracks all day. I've already arranged some first aid classes with some FMF corpsmen, and I'm looking to have some Air Force PJ's come and give them some desert survival training, but that's about all I've come up with so far.

I can always do guided discussions and leadership classes, but I'd really like to get them outside doing something physical if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any input that anyone has.

S/F

Lucky you. Your ideas are a really good start - first aid and survival tricks are always useful skills for a Marine of any MOS. Another suggestion, possibly get a MCMAP trainer to start them working on their next belt up, or just to improve their existing tan belt skills. They may not have the time to earn the next belt up, but they'll be better prepared when they have to.

Of course, plain old PT kills some time too. :marine:

Carno
02-24-08, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the post. Coincidentally their troop handler just earned his instructor tab, so I will have them doing as much MCMAP as I can fit in.

I guess I'm not so much asking for things for them to do as I am asking if anyone remembers doing something they really learned a lot from or that they really enjoyed that doesn't necessarily have to do with training for a particular MOS.

I do have some interesting events planned out for them to do in addition to their normal PT; some squad and fire team races that incorporate teamwork and knowledge and PT.

Brewer0311
02-24-08, 06:13 PM
Take them on a run at the beach in boots and utes. Make'em jump in the water and roll aroudn in the sand. Then have them do some ciruit stuff and run back. Of course do it with them so it's not considered hazing lol. Best PT i've ever gotten was when my old Plt Commander made us do a boots and utes with our assault pack filled. Ran to different stations and did different exercises. Then ran down to Marston Pavilion and jumped in the river. And ran back.

Zulu 36
02-24-08, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the post. Coincidentally their troop handler just earned his instructor tab, so I will have them doing as much MCMAP as I can fit in.

I guess I'm not so much asking for things for them to do as I am asking if anyone remembers doing something they really learned a lot from or that they really enjoyed that doesn't necessarily have to do with training for a particular MOS.

I do have some interesting events planned out for them to do in addition to their normal PT; some squad and fire team races that incorporate teamwork and knowledge and PT.

I don't know what your Marines are going to school for at P-Cola, other than something aviation related probably. I supposed what would be considered fun would probably be somewhat MOS specific, yet a bit out of the comfort zone.

As an example, when I was at MP Co, 1stMarDiv our company commander brought in the Camp Pendleton fire department and had those of us not at Base PMO on FAP taught the bare basics of firefighting so we: #1-Knew how and why to stay out of the way, and #2-If we did need to help, at least we could stretch hose, safely hold a nozzle, and know which tools were which.

We also learned advanced first aid and how to extricate car accident victims correctly (back board, spine board, C-collar, etc).

All of that was very interesting to most of us and eventually led me to become a paramedic as well as a police officer.

Of course, we were all trained, and mostly experienced, MPs already. Your guys don't know much about their jobs to be yet. Perhaps a tour of the flight line, or if they still have that aircraft carrier there, maybe a tour aboard (and a chance to learn how to properly board a ship via the quarterdeck, etc.)

kaboom1371
02-24-08, 07:48 PM
get them out on patrols, night and day. Map orientation, compass reading and stuff like that. let each one be in charge of the mission. every Marine should be a leader and a good time to instill...

SSgtOfMarines
02-24-08, 07:48 PM
If you have access to a classroom with a computer that the whole class can see, give them a class on MOL. Give them a class on MyPay. Take them to admin and request their MOL password and MyPay pin. Get someone (qualified) to give them a financial class.

If they haven't done their taxes yet, get them done. Get with your local S3 and have them take their BST test.

If you need any more suggestions, POIs etc, hit me up via PM. I'm an instructor at an entry level school house as well and am well versed in this.

SlingerDun
02-24-08, 10:30 PM
A Map and Compass course is often exhilarating fun unless its raining or pitch dark and your tired hungry and wet and have to climb under your poncho to read the map so nobody will see your flashlight and you forget to declinate for magnetic north. (Pensacola 1.39' degrees W. no worries, skate.)

A team can share a map and compass and navigation duty's if you cant gather enough supply's. Checkpoints? a stake in the ground with a dash of fluorescent paint on it. The civilian version of "orienteering" is helpful with ideas on how to set up a course that will physically and mentally challenge your crew. You did this at Quantico yes?

--->Dave

Carno
02-24-08, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the ideas gents. I've currently got them working on their taxes and doing MCI's, but I've not thought about MOL or MyPay. They're also cycling through HMMWV, bus and forklift courses as well.

I appreciate the responses, it's given me some things to look into as well as more ideas. We did a lot in Quantico, however the limited amount of resources that I have available here makes it hard for me to prac app a lot of it, although I do plan on teaching it.

S/F

timreich
02-25-08, 07:02 AM
over here on camp johnson all our troop handlers are 03's that are about to get out, our entry levels students really enjoy getting more combat training, ie going on patrol's, clearing the squad bays and learning tactics from the people who've already been there

yellowwing
02-25-08, 07:13 AM
Perhaps as a reward after a tough training day, schedule a trip to the local MCL. Make sure the MCL has some Veteran Marines ready to pass on some Legacy.

That's one thing I missed as a youngster. I learned the History but I missed the concept of the Legacy which I will always be responsible for carrying.

Gunny Nichols
02-25-08, 07:40 AM
I think this is the first LT. I have ever seen that needed training ideas, usually their minds are going a mile a minute with a million training ideas.
Hmmm

OB MSG
02-25-08, 08:01 AM
Gunny Nichols,

*Big chuckle*

A wonderful Corps quote comes to mind when I read your post, "Good initiative, bad Judgement". Not saying the good LT is doing that, just the opposite, he's tapping a major source of ideas.

I've seen more than a couple LT's (2nd and 1st), who got the bit of an idea in their teeth and ran with it, to much amusement and more grumbling from the troops. We followed the orders, but boy did we have some good laughs back at the barracks when the senior officers and some senior SNCOs got wind of the goings on.

I'll leave the rest to your own imagination or personal memories...

MarineNCO
02-25-08, 08:04 AM
I think this is the first LT. I have ever seen that needed training ideas, usually their minds are going a mile a minute with a million training ideas.
Hmmm

In my short experience in the Corps it is usually "make work" that has little bearing on mission. I am glad to see the Lt is looking for things other than cleaning the barracks and sitting around doing nothing. Presenting a challenge for the Marines will help keep them motivated and focused on being a Marine.

Carno
02-25-08, 09:08 AM
Hah, I knew sooner or later something like this was going to come up. I have plenty of things for them to do that are related and non-related to their MOS, so don't think I'm using this site as a crutch. However, if I can learn something or glean some knowledge from the vast amount of Marine Corps experience that is on this website, then why not?

OB MSG
02-25-08, 09:20 AM
Very true, LT. Don't worry, it's just good old Marines ribbing each other. Your doing your men a service keeping them active and motivated.

March on!!

MarineNCO
02-25-08, 09:20 AM
Hah, I knew sooner or later something like this was going to come up. I have plenty of things for them to do that are related and non-related to their MOS, so don't think I'm using this site as a crutch. However, if I can learn something or glean some knowledge from the vast amount of Marine Corps experience that is on this website, then why not?

I totally agree. Just because you are a crusty old MSgt or a new (sometimes not so new) 2nd Lt does not mean you are above learning something from others. Semper Fi !!

LeonardLawrence
02-25-08, 08:34 PM
Lt.

Great stuff and I say take what you can, wherever you find it.

We did some HELO dunk tank simulation training. Might be easy to find in Pensacola. Motivating stuff and made future Chopper rides a little less worrisome.

You could promote MCIs Commandants reading list and provide time to improve the brain housing group as well as practical application on the reading if assigned. As you know, Sir, being a Marine is a thinking man's game.

LeonardLawrence
02-25-08, 08:40 PM
missed my edit time with this one.

Simulators (FATS or newer gear) were always popular and good teaching tools if your station has one.

SGT Russow
02-26-08, 02:45 AM
How about taken them to a paint ball range. That way they can practice their fire team drills, and get use to taking fire. They can practice what they learned from MCT.

Phantom Blooper
02-26-08, 04:15 AM
How about taken them to a paint ball range. That way they can practice their fire team drills, and get use to taking fire. They can practice what they learned from MCT.

Yeah rent a bus w/ AC and take them to the range on ALL them $..BIG..$ bucks those new 2nd Lieutenants make. Don't forget the chow....NO box lunches or rats...stop at a buffet and feed ALL those young hungry Marines!:beer:

Seriously,LT.......heed ALL this advice and keep asking questions. It is better to ask than to do....and have NO idea what your doing! A good officer respects the advice of his enlisted men and women.Stay motivated:evilgrin:

Carno
02-27-08, 07:58 PM
Thanks again Marines, I got some more good ideas. I hadn't thought of paintball, that might be an awesome thing to do, I'll definitely look into it.

3rdTanks
02-28-08, 08:01 PM
Thats the way to look out for the troops best interest. Good Lt. it sounds like to me. Don't forget; always lead by example. You can delegate authority but not responsibility.
:evilgrin:

Sgt Jim
02-28-08, 09:10 PM
LT.when you get the ball rolling on all the training you need to be A-hole deep in the mud with your Marines,A good Marine follows a good leader.

yellowwing
02-28-08, 10:44 PM
Since 1775 when did Field Day become an Enlisted Only Evolution. I never ever saw an Officer in a Field Day.

Braden
02-28-08, 10:52 PM
Call For Fire classes are priceless. Just going through the drills for the different missions with each of the Marines making sure they got it down.

Brewer0311
03-04-08, 07:20 AM
Since 1775 when did Field Day become an Enlisted Only Evolution. I never ever saw an Officer in a Field Day.

My company XO had to field day while he was in NROTC at college until his senior year. Then he did like the seniors before him and go underclassmen to do it. Not positive if you were being serious or not with the question, but that's about all I know about it.

ExPISCDI83
03-04-08, 07:49 AM
Interesting situation. Consider: Land Nav, Leadership senarios where they have to figure out tasks and work as a team (Kinda like the crucible, but not as dramatic.) When it comes to first aid, consider teaching a course similar to the Army Combat Lifesaver course which includes starting IVs, etc. Its been a while since I was in the USMC, but I am sure that they have something similar. If not, google Combat Lifesaver and see what it entails. I do know that some Navy Docs know what this course is and maybe to teach it. If not, contact your closest Army unit and ask them. they will know as every Army unit has them. Although they are not medics/corpmen by MOS, they have been credited with saving a BUNCH of lives. It was a 40 hour course when I took it and well worth the effort.
Of course, when faced with keeping people busy, you can always consider drill to teach your future leaders command presence, command voice, confidence and all the other things that drill has dome for Marines for the last couple of hundred years.

Semper Fi & have fun!

TJR1070
03-04-08, 08:00 AM
Since most of these Marines are going to have an aviation MOS how about some classes on crew served weapons carried on aircraft. I also always had a great time rappelling and not that much oportunity to do it, however now alot of civilian towns have rock climbing walls that include rappelling skills.

Big Jim
03-04-08, 08:11 AM
Lt., how about reintroducing your Marines to the constantly changing life saving steps of rescue breathing as well as CPR? This area of medical scrutiny is constantly changing with the breaths ratio to chest compressions and it would be more beneficial for your Marines to be updated with the most current information so your Marines could be that much more diversified. I realize they probably got that training in bootcamp but look into the changing steps of rescue breathing and CPR. Just a suggestion...

Apache
03-04-08, 11:07 AM
I'm with you LT
Idle Marines get out of shape very quickly.
Also taping resources is an excellent way to develop constructive training.
Perhaps an in depth drill down of each mos function,compile the like factors,and begin with the major items.?

Personnaly I don't like the classroom training,give me the field work anytime

Brewer0311
03-04-08, 11:38 AM
Interesting situation. Consider: Land Nav, Leadership senarios where they have to figure out tasks and work as a team (Kinda like the crucible, but not as dramatic.) When it comes to first aid, consider teaching a course similar to the Army Combat Lifesaver course which includes starting IVs, etc. Its been a while since I was in the USMC, but I am sure that they have something similar. If not, google Combat Lifesaver and see what it entails. I do know that some Navy Docs know what this course is and maybe to teach it. If not, contact your closest Army unit and ask them. they will know as every Army unit has them. Although they are not medics/corpmen by MOS, they have been credited with saving a BUNCH of lives. It was a 40 hour course when I took it and well worth the effort.
Of course, when faced with keeping people busy, you can always consider drill to teach your future leaders command presence, command voice, confidence and all the other things that drill has dome for Marines for the last couple of hundred years.

Semper Fi & have fun!

The Marine Corps has a program like this now. Its Tactical Combat Casualty Care (T Triple C for short). Basically the same thing I'm assuming and a Doc teaches it. He has to have completed the instructors course to teach it of course.

yellowwing
03-04-08, 11:49 AM
...Not positive if you were being serious or not with the question, but that's about all I know about it.
;) Actually I was nervous when reporting to my first duty station. When we had Field Day in our receiving barracks I felt more relaxed because it was a Team Effort.

ExPISCDI83
03-04-08, 01:20 PM
I think the good Lt should be commended for trying to capitalize on other ideas. No one said that when officers get out of TBS that they are smart. In fact, most regard boot 2ndLTs as kind of like overpaid LCPLs that need to be led around by their NCOs until they catch on to how things REALLY are, so I salute this one for TRYING to be a good and proactive leader!

Semper Fi!

DevilDogHEMech
03-04-08, 03:13 PM
Also sir you could give some classes and let them do prac app on calling in 9-lines for EOD support and medevacs, as well as calling for fire. I called in a medevac after an IED attack when I was a lance corporal, so don't let them think that talking on the radio is only for SNCO's and officers. Unless it has changed, I don't think they teach this at MCT. If you can't get actual radios from a comm shop, they can just yell at each other across a field or parking lot. Also, if there is an EOD det. around ask them to set up an IED lane so the Marines can get some practice recognizing them and maybe do IA drills.

ExPISCDI83
03-04-08, 07:51 PM
You can also use those el cheapo civilian FRS walkie talkies from walmart so you can actually talk on it and get past "mic fright" and learn actual radio procedure. They are also cool for 'unofficial' comm that is neat to have for day to day operations "hey while you are the PX, pick me up some pogie bait" :-)

E5NAMKROW
03-05-08, 11:16 AM
Get A Hold Of Some Flash Cards For Enemy Weapons Recognition. They Will Teach Them Rate Of Fire, Max Effective Range, And Site Recognition. Have Some Pictures Printed Out And Post Those On The Inside Doors Of The Crappers And Over The Urinals. Education By Defication. I Am Talking Vehicles, Number Of Troops, Small Arms, The Whole Lot. Talk To An 0231, He Will Be More Then Happy To Help You Out With The Info. It Makes His Job Easier. Teach Them Terrain Models. Doesnt Hurt To Know This Stuff. They Ever Get Put Or Pushed Into A Leadership Role They Will Have Some Info To Carry Them For A While.