PDA

View Full Version : Hungry for action, US Marines relish Afghan mission

thedrifter
02-24-08, 08:10 AM
Hungry for action, US Marines relish Afghan mission

by Daphne Benoit
Sun Feb 24, 3:33 AM ET

Some of them have never left American soil, but at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, troops from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit say they can't wait to be deployed to Afghanistan.

The unit's 2,200 troops ship out in March to support the 50,000-strong NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in anticipation of a spring offensive by Taliban insurgents fighting especially in the south.

In the white corridor of one of their barracks, young Marines dressed in camouflage fatigues and with hair shaved joke with each other while they wait for an anthrax vaccination between exercises.

As they roll up the sleeves of their t-shirts, the medical becomes more of a tattoo competition -- the needle piercing the arm of one recruit branded with the Marines' symbol of an eagle perched on top of the globe.

It was the troops' second shot to cover them in the event of a chemical attack, explained medic Dwayne Friday.

Nearby, in a large clearing in the middle of a pine forest, the Marines prepare to simulate an attack on their convoy. Wearing a beige fleece, Justin Whatley, 21, a new recruit from Mississippi, waits patiently in his Humvee.

"I have never been abroad. I have seen pictures, I know there is mountains and deserts," he says, leaning on his rifle, adding: "My wife doesn't want me to go, but it's all right, we will be back."

Standing at a distance from the new recruits, Lance Corporal Ryan Emig, 24, with experience of Iraq, doesn't try to hide his impatience to return to combat.

In Ramadi, west of Baghdad, where they were deployed from September 2006 until May last year, "there was 77 firefights per week before we arrived, and when we left we couldn't hear a shotgun."

But for Corporal "Marvelous" Marv Agabi, 21, Iraq is not what it once was. "A lot of the work in Iraq right now is security stuff. In Afghanistan it's actually fighting and that's what we do. I am excited."

After laying on a dusty bank in a shooting position for an hour and a half, Justin Jones, 21, says he would like to be in Afghanistan already.

It's not only his first deployment but his first real journey. "My mom was a little upset when I first signed up. She worries the worst could happen."

The next morning the unit has physical training starting at dawn involving a five kilometer (three mile) run, endless pull-ups and 100 crunches in two minutes.

"They want us to be as fit as possible. We might have to go up to the mountains," says Jones, his eyes raising to fix on the imaginary challenge.

With a bullet proof vest and a 50-kilo (110-pound) pack on his back, he struggles over to a helicopter sent in to evacuate him, before disappearing in a blinding cloud of sand and dust.

At another end of the camp, the Marines get rolled over time and time again in a simulator to prepare them for the eventuality of driving off the road.

"It is a definitely a good experience. You learn how to get out of there being disoriented," explains Kyle Williams, 21.

Jeremy Ramirez, a 21-year-old New Yorker, watches his comrades training with a touch of envy. Inside his helmet he carries a picture of his wife and daughter. This time, he's staying at home.

"I really wanted to go but I've got issues with my wife, and they advised me to stay here and fix it, otherwise I would screw it and it could also screw my carrier," he explains.

It's a hard thing to admit when a notice on the wall opposite the officers' quarters reads: "The only reason the United States of America needs a Marine Corps is to fight and win wars. Everything else is secondary."

Ellie

thedrifter
02-24-08, 02:58 PM
US Marines prepare for 'different kind of fight' in Afghanistan

by Daphne Benoit
26 minutes ago

For the 2,200 US Marines being deployed to southern Afghanistan next month, training for a mission fighting Taliban insurgents has meant adapting to a different type of enemy.

Having tried but failed to convince its allies to commit more troops to Afghanistan, the Pentagon last month ordered the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit based at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina to deploy in March.

They are due to arrive ahead of an expected spring offensive by the Taliban, who make use of very different tactics and terrain to the insurgents in Iraq.

"We are expecting a different kind of fight" than the type of attacks combat troops are used to dealing with in Iraq, said Captain David Lee, part of a reconnaissance unit attached to the Marines.

"In Iraq, the enemy was engaging us through IEDs (improvised explosive devices), they would run and hide," said Lee. "In Afghanistan, the Taliban will come and shoot at us, get into a gunfight. We didn't get a lot of that last time I was in Iraq."

He said that basic training for patrolling and shooting was the same for both theaters but that the Afghan deployment had required some fine-tuning.

"In the past two months, we focused more on the use of close air support, cover fire and supporting arms," he said, while supervising shooting practice for around 15 Marines firing assault rifles at targets 500 meters (yards) away.

Besides combat training, the soldiers have been taking language lessons, to help them be better understood among the Pashto and Dari-speaking Afghans.

"We've got language classes where we learn to say things like 'we are going to search your houses,'" explained one young Marine.

"Regarding training, you always wish you had more time. But we are absolutely ready," said the unit's commander, Colonel Peter Petronzio, sitting in an office surrounded by bags packed and ready to go.

"You have to be ready to go anywhere. Could be in Lebanon, could be in Iraq, could be in Afghanistan," said the commander, a veteran with 24-years in the Marines.

His troops could be deployed in the violence-torn south or the east, where they would be used to support the 50,000-strong NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, with stability, security, and development duties.

"Everything we do focuses on counter-insurgency: we realized that in the last four or five years. That's the fight we are in now," he said.

The deployment will be backed up by around 20 helicopters, including combat, assault, transport and heavy-lift choppers.

The Marines' arrival is a major boost for NATO troops who have for months been asking for helicopter reinforcements. Afghanistan has in the last year seen its most violent period since the fall of the Taliban in 2001.

The Marines will be supporting Canadian, British and Dutch troops deployed in the troublesome south, a hotspot for violence where the most deadly skirmishes have occurred and where opium cultivation is flourishing.

While Secretary of Defense Robert Gates upset US allies in January by saying troops in the south, mainly from Britain, Canada and the Netherlands, were not properly trained to fight an insurgency, Petronzio was at pains to reach out.

"I can't wait to get over there and see what we can do collectively. We are not going over there to show everybody how to do it, we are going over there to help," he said.

"I am sure we will work fine together. These countries have great troops."

Ellie