PDA

View Full Version : Tears Are Shed As Marines Say Goodbye

thedrifter
02-23-08, 11:48 AM
Tears Are Shed As Marines Say Goodbye
posted 7:41 pm Fri February 22, 2008 - Charleston, SC
from ABC News 4 -

It was a day of tears and gear at the Marine Corps Air Station in Beaufort Friday with over 200 marines and sailors set for deployment. Their destination: Iraq.

Home is where they hang their hats, but it’s halfway around the world where they'll spend their next seven months.

Dressed for success, two squadrons are leaving the comforts of home behind.

"Unlimited showers," Eric Smith who is headed to Iraq said. "Going to miss being in a regular house."

For Corporal Stewart Hardy there will be a new name to learn when he returns. His wife is due in June.

"He was in Iraq the first time, the second time the same thing. It will be okay," said expectant mother Nicole Hardy.

A keepsake stands as a reminder of what’s left behind, of what’s waiting when they return.

"[I’m] here for my country, not here to make myself feel better, not here to impress anybody, not expecting to be a hero. Just to get back home safely," said Lance Corporal Sokol. "Here we go again"

Husbands leaving wives, daddy's leaving daughters, sons leaving mothers, fathers leaving sons and friends leaving friends. Yet their aim is true.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness," he said.

One final instruction, a final reassurance, a final smile, a final squeeze and a final tear.

The men and women are heading to Al Asad, Iraq and are expected to be there between six and eight months.

Ellie