PDA

View Full Version : Good Grades During High School

Helland
02-22-08, 03:21 PM
My mom (against me joining the military) seen my mid term grades it was C, C, D, D. She knows I want to go into the military but she tells me no and that I'm going to college, basically trying to tell me what to do. But she says with these grades they won't even bother talking to me. I hate paperwork its boring I have to do my work with my hands not pen and paper. So do your high school grades affect you? I just thought you needed your diploma and do good on the ASVAB?? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Big Jim
02-22-08, 03:27 PM
Of course good grades matter in the Marine Corps! You'll want to do the best an be the most intelligent person you can be for not only the ASVAB but for everything in your life! And if you think there's no paperwork in the ANY branch of the Marine Corps, or for any job in life for the matter, think again!! Try your best in school and start understanding this is just another process that one must go through. Listen to your Mom, she knows alot more than she seems to. Hope this helps! Good luck!

gnarkill04
02-22-08, 04:16 PM
It's true that good grades are important because you need to be on track to graduate in order to get in. But if you want to slack off and just get the minimal to graduate, yes you could still enlist.

You just need to be on track to graduating and it's all good. But it isn't the Marine Corps. way to do just the bare minimum.

And EVERY job in the Corps. involves paperwork. Sorry to break it to you.

thewookie
02-22-08, 04:21 PM
In high school I was ranked 450 out of 472. I'm not bragging but when I applied to college after I got out I found that out. I only graduated because I played sports and I was good at it. Plus they didn't want my azz back for a 13th year. I took the ASVAB to get out of class my senior year, and I didn't do to good. I left myself with no choices when I went in except open contract. But once the Marines made a man out of me I've never looked back. Grades in school are important but it's more important that you have something inside of you that the Corps can bring out in you. You can be a straight A student but if you have no heart or you are not willing to sacrifice yourself for the greater good of the team, then you are going to be worthless in the Corps.

BlindZeal08
02-22-08, 06:48 PM
How would my grades effect me...I am a senior with a 1.8 GPA, but I got a 76 on the ASVAB?

thewookie
02-22-08, 06:58 PM
Professor Wookie says you are hurtin for certain. But there is hope, graduate HS. Then as long as you pass the ASVAP or that score gets you in, and then you can convince your recruiter that you are worthy of our hallowed Corps. Then son, you may try,,,

BlindZeal08
02-22-08, 07:02 PM
I am already enlisted, I am asking if my grades will effect me after Boot.

rvillac2
02-22-08, 07:23 PM
I am already enlisted, I am asking if my grades will effect me after Boot.
No, but your study skills and self-discipline will determine how well your career goes. There are tests in MOS school and they are not all prac app.

crazymjb
02-22-08, 07:39 PM
No but you are going about it with the wrong attitude. School is something you don't like but HAVE to do, and should try to do your best at everything you are tasked with...

Mike

jungholee90
02-22-08, 08:45 PM
Keeping grades up shows your dedication and effort.
As long as you graduate then you are good, but as poolees who are representing Marine Corps at schools we all could show others that we try our best on everything, even on things we don't like. It's the attitude that counts.

Ub3rmike
02-22-08, 09:07 PM
As an "aspiring to be a Marine" you need to get those grades squared away. I'm sure your recruiter will tell you that the USMC doesn't operate on anything less than 80% in terms of exams. With Cs and Ds, I'd be genuinely concerned about graduating from school too. I know of one guy at my RSS whose having his ship date pushed back just as a reminder of what happens when he doesn't take something like school seriously. Anyone who isn't at a 3.5 GPA at my RSS is put on notice. You also don't want to close oppertunities in the civilian market closed, if you don't enjoy academic institutions for the learning per se, at least keep at it for the oppertunities for social networking. You never know when you'll be friends with the next millionaire.

But when it comes down to it, there are some other very important reasons as to why you not only need to meet the standards of graduating, but to exceed them as well. When you're a poolee or even an applicant, you are an ambassador of the Marine Corps. Even if you haven't earned the title or the EGA, it won't excuse you at the fact that you're portraying a poor image of the Corps when you have a physical or academic deficency. I'd be ticked off at a guy bragging about wanting to be a Marine if he couldn't even do a single push up. Likewise, you want to show to your peers that the Marine Corps gives the best a shot at joining the ranks.

Never settle for mediocrity. In a school of over 2100 students, I rose from obscurity and became one of the most popular people at school (about as much as the varsity polo player who applied for Annapolis) because I
A: joined the DEP and made my aspirations of becoming a Marine, and God willing, a Marine CO clear to my peers.
B: Excelled in academics.

Inspire faith in your fellow students, especially if you're going to be the "First senior" at your school. Just as the Guide or squad leader of an RSS dictates its level of motivation, so to do you, the applicant or poolee, affect how your peers view the Marine Corps and with what level of confidence they'll walk into the recruiting station.

Picking up PFC for referrals is easy when you've developed a (positive) reputation for yourself.

DEAVILA
02-23-08, 12:59 AM
"A Smart Warrior..is a Strong Warrior"

Think about that...;)

LeonardLawrence
02-23-08, 03:58 PM
"A Smart Warrior..is a Strong Warrior"

Think about that...;)

EXACTLY!!!

KevinR90
02-24-08, 01:42 PM
but she tells me no and that I'm going to college, basically trying to tell me what to do. But she says with these grades they won't even bother talking to me.

If you're ok with those grades.... well you can still get in as long as you do well on the ASVAB. And please don't let your mom make up your mind for you- or your girlfriend if you have one. This has to be your choice. Listen to her, hear and understand what she has to say (she probably has some good ideas)- but it's your choice- unless you're still 17 and she won't let you join-then you have to wait.

I would just hate to not do something I always wanted b/c someone else didn't want me to and be regreting it for the rest of my life.

You can still do college during/after service.