PDA

View Full Version : 90-Year-Old Proud to Be a Marine

thedrifter
02-22-08, 08:35 AM
90-Year-Old Proud to Be a Marine
2/21/2008

On February 14th, 1943 the Marine Corps decided to start enlisting women. And a Minot woman was the first to sign up.

On February 21st, 90-year-old Marge Muus proudly displayed her patriotism along with Jim Hill students and members from every branch of the military and public service professions. Members from the Navy, Air Force, Minot Police Department, Highway Patrol and others talked to the students about their duties and service. Muus says she is proud to have served her country in the Marines.

"I just had to take what came. And it was a very fine experience and I still have the globe, eagle and anchor of the Marine Corps on many of my clothes," says Marge Muss, who was the first woman in North Dakota to enlist in the Marine Corps.

Muus served in the Marines during World War Two. In 1948 she was promoted to Captain.

Ellie

thedrifter
02-22-08, 08:41 AM
Patriotism at Jim Hill

Feb 21 2008 8:39PM
KXMCTV Minot

A positive attitude is always good to have, especially if it's for your country.

That's why every year Jim Hill Middle School hosts Positive Attitude in Patriotism Assembly.

Every February around President's Day the school looks to educate it's students on how lucky they are to live here.

From special songs to honor the stars and stripes on the flag, it was an opportunity to show students what it means to be an American.

A step team from the Minot Air Force Base was there to liven up the crowd a little bit.

The guest of honor, though, was Marge Muus who was the first woman from North Dakota to join the Marines, and she did so for her father...

(Marge Muus, Ex-Marine) "I was my father's son. He didn't have any boys and I went everywhere with him. Hunting, fishing and when I told him I was going to enlist, I think he about fainted but he was all for it."

Muus will be turning 90 this year.

Ellie