PDA

View Full Version : Question for the masses.

OB MSG
02-21-08, 11:31 AM
Ok, this might not sit well with some of you in here, but I wanted to "talk" to some of my brothers and sisters to see what you all think.

Here goes:
As you can tell from my profile, I am/was a Marine Staff Sergeant, with 6+ years of service under my belt. I left active duty in 2004, went back to college and earned a degree. I now work for a fortune 100 consulting firm in a great job that my Corps experience helped me to get. But since coming off the IRR in 2006 I've been having the itch to join the Reserves.

This is the question: I have looked at all of the branches, yes, I am looking at options. I talked to them all, though the "chair"-force never stood a chance, and the Navy has come out at the top of the list. They are offering me a signing bonus, my rank will only drop one tier if at all, Intel MOS, upgrade in my clearance, and the ability to serve my country again, even if it is in a reserve capacity. No matter which branch I go to I am putting in an officer package as well.

I welcome all advice and comments. Thanks!

jrhd97
02-21-08, 05:32 PM
Go for it.

yellowwing
02-21-08, 05:39 PM
Navy Intel? Sure why not!

SGT7477
02-21-08, 05:45 PM
Whatever it takes you still hold the best title of all a U.S. Marine, Semper FI.

Gumby22
02-21-08, 05:52 PM
"Just do it"!!!!

Marine84
02-21-08, 06:19 PM
Go for it dude! If you got that itch and nothing's holding you from doing it.................GO FOR IT!

mrbsox
02-21-08, 06:30 PM
If your world allows it, follow your heart.

I mean that to say that if it doesn't put a burden on your current commitments, family, etc... go for it.

'If you're doing what makes you happy, you never work again in your life'

sparkie
02-21-08, 06:45 PM
It's in your head what you want. Do whats in your head. As far as the opinions of the rest of us,,,, You will always be a Marine, and a brother.

Go grab your life your way. SF.

nptwildcat
02-22-08, 11:42 AM
Go for it Brother. It's been said already, but you'll always be a Marine!

Big Jim
02-22-08, 11:47 AM
Just another chapter in your life, brother...the next one to add to your accolades after becoming a Marine. You KNOW that will NEVER be taken away from you. Do what you gotta do.....

cpl liz
02-22-08, 12:59 PM
Better check your civilian employer's history with other reservists (or the reserve's ESGR officer). After the Corps I went into the National Guard, after activation saw several people lose their civilian employment within a month or two of our return. Most employers are not veterans, and they do not support those of us who are. That being said, I never regretted either of my enlistments. Do it.

Crusader20
02-22-08, 12:59 PM
Go for it. You can always say later, "hey i did it, and it didn't work out"

instead of "I wonder what it would have been like."

Semper Fi, Brother.

Apache
02-22-08, 02:16 PM
Do what's in your best intrests.
Lot's of sound advice above.
Been in your shoes-went N.G. for awhile.

Since retired and have a small check every month plus doing something I enjoyed and respected.

You will never loose the title Marine brother

Sgt Leprechaun
02-24-08, 07:17 AM
Go for it. I've been down that road, and as much as I wanted back in the Corps, it just wasn't happening. After much introspection and thinking about it, the Air Guard made me an offer I couldn't refuse. While it's NOT the Corps, and never will be, in the end, your LES will still say "Department of Defense". You will ALWAYS be a Marine, no one and no-thing can take that away from you.

Just my 2 cents.

DocGreek
02-24-08, 08:35 AM
Some of us "old-timers", have regrets. Looking back, hindsight, is ALWAYS 20/20! I got an "early out", in 1970, because of the "things", that happened to me in Viet Nam. Four months, later, I got a letter, from the office of the "CNO", offering me a HUGE BONUS, if I re-upped!.....Turned it down! I was newly married, and we were expecting our first baby, 38 years later....it was a mistake! YOU, have a few choices, weigh them carefully. Do what is best for YOU....if you're not happy, the rest of your family will suffer, in the end!......BEST OF LUCK!!!...........ALWAYS FAITHFUL...DocGreek

RLeon
02-24-08, 09:06 AM
Go for it, nothing wrong with the Anchor-clankers, they're family.
;)