PDA

View Full Version : Etheridge see progress in Iraq

thedrifter
02-21-08, 10:25 AM
Etheridge see progress in Iraq
Etheridge says buildup working
Barbara Barrett, Washington Correspondent

WASHINGTON - A year ago, U.S. Rep. Bob Etheridge took to the floor of the House to oppose the buildup of troops in Iraq, calling President Bush's plan to send 20,000 additional men and women into combat "more of the same."

On Wednesday, Etheridge said the military is making progress.

Etheridge, a Lillington Democrat, flew into the war zone Wednesday morning in his first trip to Iraq since 2006. There, he listened to classified briefings from military officials. He ate lunch with soldiers from North Carolina. And, as night fell, he saw the hopeful image of lights twinkling from homes in the Iraqi countryside.

"I think from what I've seen here, it is working," Etheridge said in a conference call with reporters. "It is making a difference."

Twelve months after debate on the so-called surge consumed Capitol Hill, the Triangle's three Democratic congressmen -- all of whom opposed the troop increase a year ago -- now have concluded that violence may have fallen in the wake of the escalation of soldiers and Marines in Iraq. Their opinions vary, though, on why that is and what it means for the country. And all say diplomacy represents the only way forward in Iraq.

Etheridge said commanders told him Wednesday that more Iraqis are volunteering to serve in the Iraqi military, that nongovernment organizations are planting fruit trees and digging out irrigation ditches, and that more residents are venturing into local markets.

Troops also told Etheridge they're seeing more progress than in earlier tours of duty in Iraq, he said.

"We know now we are making a difference. We can see the difference every day," Etheridge quoted troops as telling him. "And that's something I didn't hear when I was here before. That's a healthy sign."

Etheridge's views reflect those of many Americans.

A USAToday-Gallup poll conducted early this month found that 43 percent of respondents found that the surge is "making the situation there better," an increase from 22 percent in July.

In the 2nd Congressional District, which curls in a backward "C" from Franklin County to Chatham County and dips down to Fort Bragg, Etheridge represents a suburban and rural constituency with close ties to the military.

"I think he's always been someone who's been a crossover representative," said Melissa Lennon, chairwoman of the Harnett County Democratic Party. "He's probably a little more aware because of the large number of troops and families."

Democratic leaders in Congress have focused recently on equipping troops and supporting troubled veterans. Talk of the war often zeroes in on the need for international diplomacy, and Etheridge has been no different. The congressman stressed Wednesday that he thinks the military buildup hasn't been matched by a comparative diplomatic effort from the Bush administration.

"I still think more needs to be done with the nations in the region," Etheridge said.

After U.S. Rep. Brad Miller of Raleigh traveled to Iraq last month, he said violence had dropped. He wasn't ready to credit the escalation, though, saying he hoped the decline in deaths could be credited to an Iraqi populace striving for peace.

"It's certainly not clear how long the reduction in violence will last," Miller said Wednesday.

U.S. Rep. David Price of Chapel Hill was traveling in Southeast Asia on Wednesday and could not be reached for comment. But his spokesman, Paul Cox, said talk of the troop escalation should focus on Bush's stated purpose of allowing room for politicians to shape their country's future.

"The long-term underlying dynamics of Iraq have not changed," Cox said. "On that measure the surge has not lived up to its billing."

After the troop increase, violence in Baghdad plunged to a low of 76 deaths in November, according to statistics kept by McClatchy Newspapers. And this month, the Iraqi parliament passed critical legislation to approve a budget, set a date for provincial elections and reach agreement on amnesty for prisoners.

Still, incidents in recent weeks hint that violence might be creeping up again. There were 100 deaths in January in Baghdad, and 167 deaths so far this month.

"Our troops have really made magnificent gains in reducing the violence," Etheridge said in describing his conversations with military leaders.

"There are still some hard pockets, I understand, and I can't say a whole lot more about that because of what's happening."

(McClatchy Newspapers' Baghdad bureau contributed to this report.)

Washington correspondent Barbara Barrett can be reached at (202) 383-0012 or bbarrett@mcclatchydc.com
McClatchy Newspapers' Baghdad bureau contributed to this report.

Ellie