PDA

View Full Version : Saying 'later,' not goodbye

thedrifter
02-21-08, 10:17 AM
02/21/2008
Saying 'later,' not goodbye
By PAUL S. MARTINEZ , The Enterprise

BEAUMONT - Cpl. Austin Womack, 22, heads off Friday to prepare for his last tour in Iraq and as a U.S. Marine.

He was prepared to do it without fanfare, but family and friends had other plans that involved a blowout at Acapulco Mexican Cantina and Grill Wednesday night.

Patriot Guard Beaumont chapter Ride Captain and Womack's aunt, Sandra Womack said this was the hardest sendoff she has ever organized.

"I've organized a lot of these over the years, but it's a lot tougher when it's your own family," she told the gathering of 20 family members and Patriot Riders before giving the corporal a certificate of appreciation and a challenge coin.

Womack has 3½ years of service in the Marine Corps and after this stint, he plans to get out, marry and move to Arkansas where his fiancée's family owns a company.

The Vidor native has always had a military job that kept him stateside, but for this final leg, he volunteered to join the infantry and go to a war zone.

"It's really not as bad as people think over there," said the Marine destined for Fallujah, Iraq. "I see the pictures of the little kids over there and I just think I can help them."

Womack's fiancée, Ashley Brown, 20, of Little Rock, Ark. said she first met Womack about four months ago and was swept off her feet in a whirlwind courtship.

"I was a little scared when I first found out he was going over there," she said. "But I know God will see him through."

Womack's father, Rick Womack, said he is proud of his son.

"He wants to make a difference and I know he will," Womack said.

Ellie