PDA

View Full Version : El Toro Marines

CarbonTerry
02-21-08, 03:20 AM
This is a notice for all Marines stationed at MCAS El Toro at any time. Apparently the chemicals used to degrease aircraft and aircraft parts is/was(?) known to be highly carcinogenic. Many Marines have has serious health issues due to this exposure, especially if you were in the MWSG-37 area. Go to http://www.tcepce.blogspot.com/ for more information. PLEASE pass this on to all of your USMC friends. Semper Fi, Terry Whitford trwredhawk@aol.com 29 Jan 08

JackMapes
02-26-08, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up CarbonTerry.

I was stationed at El Toro in 66 and 67 and my family lived in base housing.

recon532002
02-26-08, 10:27 PM
I was there in 1970 am I at Risk

Recon

yellowwing
02-26-08, 10:58 PM
On MCAS El Toro mess duty we cleaned the back of the food vans with aircraft degreaser. 409 had nothing on that stuff! Just touching it would instantly dry out and crack your finger tips. I wonder if it was the same chemicals?

BobTate
02-27-08, 01:54 PM
Apparently the chemicals used to degrease aircraft and aircraft parts is/was(?) known to be highly carcinogenic. trwredhawk@aol.com 29 Jan 08

Terry..

Why is this just applicable to El Toro?? Didn't we use the same degreasers across the Wings??

Ed Palmer
02-27-08, 02:13 PM
CARBON TETRACHLORIDE
was used all over in a lot of different fields from dry cleaning to Motor Transport and Air wing

BobTate
02-27-08, 02:35 PM
CARBON TETRACHLORIDE

in my life after the Corps, we banned Carbon Tet in our division in GE because of the high corrosion effect it had due to the chlorine...

cball
02-27-08, 03:19 PM
I worked in an aircraft factory from 1960 to 70 and they were still using Carbon Tet,in fact they heated it in a big vat to degrease parts.

Ed Palmer
02-27-08, 03:23 PM
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts30.pdf

This fact sheet answers the most frequently asked health questions (FAQs) about carbon tetrachloride.
For more information, call the ATSDR Information Center at 1-888-422-8737. This fact sheet is one in
a series of summaries about hazardous substances and their health effects. It is important you
understand this information because this substance may harm you. The effects of exposure to any
hazardous substance depend on the dose, the duration, how you are exposed, personal traits and
habits, and whether other chemicals are present

cball
02-27-08, 03:26 PM
I believe the stuff we washed the planes down with at Cherry Point ,was Gunk.

ggyoung
02-27-08, 05:00 PM
Wing=============If it dried up your farts while on mess duty you could be in trouble.

Marine84
02-27-08, 07:01 PM
On MCAS El Toro mess duty we cleaned the back of the food vans with aircraft degreaser. 409 had nothing on that stuff! Just touching it would instantly dry out and crack your finger tips. I wonder if it was the same chemicals?

LOL! NOW we know what your problem is!;) :p