PDA

View Full Version : Better for the family, Okinawa or Iwakuni

cake96861
02-20-08, 08:32 PM
I have the choice of duty stations and was wondering which is better for the family? I have a 10 year old and a 3 year old. My wife is just about to graduate from college so she'll be ready to work and in need of a job. I have heard that Iwakuni is more family friendly. Any advice, stories would e greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Big Jim
02-21-08, 06:34 AM
I have the choice of duty stations and was wondering which is better for the family? I have a 10 year old and a 3 year old. My wife is just about to graduate from college so she'll be ready to work and in need of a job. I have heard that Iwakuni is more family friendly. Any advice, stories would e greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Well, you know Okinawa is only 75 miles long and 25 miles wide at its' widest point and very populated! The entire country of Japan is densely populated but the fact about having the choice between mainland Japan or the Rock is a heavy one!! You have to condsider your job duties, if that might come into play or if you'll be doing the same thing at either post, then if the bigger country of Japan would be more conducive to your family's needs for expansion, you know? As time goes on while at Okinawa, there's only so much you can see and do, and after spending over 18 months ON ISLAND, believe me, I've felt the squeeze! I was also at MCAS Iwakuni for a short 3 months TAD and I thouht this would've been alot better to explore more and really get to know the country I'm living in! But, my job duties weren't the same...I didn't like it. So, I didn't stay but I would have loved staying on the mainland definitely and it IS more family receptive!! But investigate ALL avenues and availability of housing and family activities. Some families I know of loved Okinawa, for over 6 years!! So, its all based on what you and your family prefer! Good luck brother!

SGT7477
02-21-08, 07:04 AM
Okinawa was my favorite duty station but I never had family there we were told the island was 69 miles long 13 miles wide and the smallest part was 2 miles wide was where I was at IHA castle where the officers had their quarters like golf course,swimming pool, club,sleeping,etc. Good Luck.

Apache
02-21-08, 07:53 AM
Passed through Iwakuni as a young-un returning from Nam.
Bars-Resturants-Bars-Strip clubs-Bars.
Loved it.

hrscowboy
02-21-08, 09:08 AM
Things must have changed when i was in Oki only a staff NCO was allowed to have family on the rock..

Artemis
02-21-08, 12:05 PM
I spent 15 months on the rock without my family but there are plenty of things for the kiddos to get into there. Beautiful beaches, castles, festivals and of course a lot of history including a memorial for the Battle of Okinawa. I also spent some vacation time on mainland. Theres plenty of stuff to do there to. As stated both regions that you will potentially living in are densly populated but if you live in on base housing you dont really have anything to worry about because they are really nice units, mostly apartments.

tripledog
02-23-08, 08:17 PM
I spent 12 months on the rock and 9 at Iwakuni. Iwakuni was the best by far, unless you want to get laid or drunk, then oki is the place. With family, IWAKUNI for sure.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-24-08, 07:27 AM
Iwakuni by far, in my opinion. Mainland Japan for starters. It will be expensive no matter which one you hit, but there will likely be less in the way of "issues" with out in town hate and discontent at Iwakuni than the rock.

I did 2 WestPacs both based out of Iwakuni and I enjoyed the town, the sightseeing, and the opportunities there. It was a smaller sized base then, (not sure of it now) and the 'bar' district in town was basically only 1 street that you could avoid if you wanted to.

Took the train to Hiroshima, went sightseeing all over with never any issues.

Okinawa, if you are a military history buff, plenty to do in the off time for the WWII battle. Otherwise I'd say (again, my opinion) more of a 'single Marine' type of duty station. Others may say I'm wrong there.

jrhd97
02-24-08, 02:51 PM
Things must have changed when i was in Oki only a staff NCO was allowed to have family on the rock..
Whent in '96 and an NCO could take his family for a three year tour, or one year by there self.
Oki was fun, and I was single. Would definetly pick Iwakuni for an accompanied tour.

ggyoung
02-24-08, 04:18 PM
Boy how things have changed. In the 60's and early 70's no families on OKI. The only family in JP were Marines working the brig. No families for FMF and Wing. The Marines who worked the brig and had there family there the duty was considered STATE SIDE. New a couple of Marines who went to WestPac. from JP to Vietnam.

LeonardLawrence
02-24-08, 04:51 PM
Kinnichiwa!

Limited experience. Visited Mainland, two six month Unit Deployment Programs to Okinawa.

Would definitely choose mainland for it's travel opportunities, etc. Oki has the bus from base to base, but not much else going.

Also, Anti American sentiment seems to be on the rise and seems to be a pretty cyclical event. When I was there it seemed like you were tolerated ($) but in the Mainland, there was a genuine friendliness.

I am taking some elementary Japanese classes right now and planning a long term family vacation back there....eventually. :)

Good luck!

JetPilotB767
09-29-08, 11:23 PM
The Best Place The Corps Has In Japan For Family Is Iwakuni, Without A Doubt And Take It From Me I Have Been All Over Japan.

Go For It

Semper Fi

temarti
09-30-08, 07:38 AM
With a family, Okinawa is better. If you have kids there is plenty to do, especially within the last 5-10 yrs. You would think being on the island it would be secluded, however after living in Tokyo with a major Company for two years it was more difficult to get to Iwakuni than Oki. Also, there was not much to do around Iwakuni for a family.

I have three kids and we travel back every other year. They with the wife spend 1.5 months during the summer there and they love it.

crate78
09-30-08, 08:39 PM
Leonard, you ought to be able to do what I found out works. When caller ID shows an incoming call from an 800 number, obviously a junk call, I answer the phone in Japanese and begin talking in Japanese.

It blows them out of the water!! I'm not really that fluent in Japanese, but I picked up enough at Atsugi to harass telemarketers. Actually, all it takes is a few basic words and phrases. One guy once kept asking me in English if I spoke Spanish. Another kept asking to speak to my wife. After I'd said, "Nani?" a couple of times, I said, "Ah! Okusan". About then, he hung up.

I've noticed you don't get too many repeat calls from the same number.

crate

tripledog
10-01-08, 02:53 PM
Iwakuni, by a mile.

JetPilotB767
10-01-08, 04:33 PM
My trips to Hiroshima or as we called it "HIRO", and Peace Park and the Museum as well as just how clean and orderly everything was and is, is a magnificent experience, also short trips to Miyajima Island, and riding the "SHIN" bullet train, and so much more to do on the Airstation, excellent schools, and they even have an NJROTC program at the high school. Generally speaking, the airwing facilities have traditionally offered a more layed back and structured family evironment in my opinion. BUT,,,, This is just one Jarhead's opinion.

Check out the link I have included in here it is I guess a website by a family stationed there.

Semper Fi

http://www.geocities.com/~usmcspencers/see-n-do.html

JetPilotB767
10-01-08, 04:40 PM
Passed through Iwakuni as a young-un returning from Nam.
Bars-Resturants-Bars-Strip clubs-Bars.
Loved it.

I believe if memory serves me right there had to have been at least 20 Bars before you get to 4 Corners and of course there was my favorite hang-out of them All The New Manhattan Club,,,,, nothing new about it, but it was a bit more upscale than the other Power Drinker joints,,,,,, However loved Iwakuni Pub where they had a Mechanical Bull,,,, got on it a few times myself,,, but nothing tops watching a drunken nickel and dime store Cowboy-Marine getting on that bull and getting thrown off of it :bunny: