PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Marines Come to Aid of Vet Who Passed Away

thedrifter
02-20-08, 05:28 AM
Mark Sayre, Investigative Reporter
I-Team: Fellow Marines Come to Aid of Vet Who Passed Away

Updated: Feb 19, 2008 10:18 PM

Fellow marines are coming to the aid of one of their own who passed away in early January -- yet still has not been buried. There's action underway to pay for cremation costs for the Vietnam vet.

Literally dozens of people have called, offering to personally pay for the cremation of Vietnam veteran William Baker. Baker's daughter tried to go through the proper channels for public help since she cannot afford the $600 cremation cost for her father.

But members of a local Marine Corps veterans group also saw our report and quickly jumped into action.

When Michelle Hoyt answered the door at her Henderson apartment, the men in uniform were a welcome sight. Commandant Mike Lamb and Chaplain Richard Moran are with the Greater Nevada detachment of the Marine Corps League.

The commandant was quick to assure Hoyt that her father, William Baker, would promptly receive a proper burial. "So as far as the situation is concerned with your father, I don't want you to give it another worry -- it is taken care of."

"Thank you, sir," said Michelle.

"As Richard would tell you and other Marines, Marines are always faithful. That's the motto of the Marine Corps -- is Semper Fidelis," said Lamb.

"Always faithful," said Michelle.

"The one thing you are taught at boot camp from day one is that we take care of our own and nobody stays behind," said Lamb.

William Baker passed away in Henderson on Jan. 8, and Hoyt started making burial arrangements.

She was told her father would be entitled to a free plot, service and headstone at the Boulder City Veterans Cemetery.

But Hoyt herself would first have to pay the $600 to have her father cremated and as she told the I-Team Monday, it is money she simply does not have.

"The part that hurt me the most was that I am disabled and I have no money -- I live on $677 a month. And when people have money, their dad gets buried within a week. And my father had been on cold storage for almost two months," said Michelle.

So just a day later, Hoyt could not find the words to thank the retired Marines who came to her aid. "And I just wanted to reach out to anybody that help me and bless you and thank you both for being here to help me and to honor my father."

Commandant Lamb says there are many veterans organizations such as his who are willing help in times of need, but sometimes the word simply does not get out.

"There's really no fault. There is just that for many, many years the Veterans organizations were the 'quiet players' behind the scenes because. Frankly, military service and military people were not at the forefront our nation like we are now being in a war against global terrorism.

And Michelle Hoyt says she feels a long and difficult chapter may finally be nearing an end.

"Honor, pure honor. Honor for them to be here -- here, honored for them to recognize my father and honored that they would take the time just to come and see me," said Michelle.

The Marine Corps League took down all of the relevant information on William Baker Tuesday afternoon.

The process is already in motion to pay for the cremation and to transport Baker to the Veterans Cemetery in Boulder City.

Ellie