PDA

View Full Version : Interesting promotion/appointment...

GolfingJarhead
02-19-08, 12:56 PM
Just noticed an announcement from the DOD:

Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates announced today that the President has nominated Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. for appointment to the rank of lieutenant general and assignment as the deputy commandant for plans, policies, and operations, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps. Dunford is presently serving as the vice director for operations, J-3, Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.

Never heard of a one-star going straight to three-star. Think this was a typo?

yellowwing
02-19-08, 01:37 PM
I don't know.

USMC.mil has Brig. Gen. Joseph F. Dunford verified as a BGen (http://www.usmc.mil/genbios2.nsf/0/226725B0C7A066DF85256E92003F06D4?opendocument).

The Officer currently serving BGen Dunford's new post as Deputy Commandant for Plans, Policies, and Operations, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps is Lieutenant General Richard F. Natonski (https://slsp.manpower.usmc.mil/gosa/biographies/rptBiography.asp?PERSON_ID=7&PERSON_TYPE=General).

Brigidier General Dunford has impressive combat command and staff roles on his record. Maybe HQMC wants him in a three star billet.

jrhd97
02-19-08, 05:20 PM
Very interesting. I wonder if the dip sheeets in congres will go along.

Quinbo
02-20-08, 02:02 AM
If I recall correctly Chuck Krulack went from a bird Colonel to a 4 star in just 4 years to become commandant.

GolfingJarhead
02-20-08, 08:26 AM
I also noticed that on usmc.mil they have him as MajGen (select), so he must be waiting to be confirmed for that grade. That makes sense to me now that I saw that. Same thing kinda happened to LtGen Coleman. I think he spent 4-5 months as a two star.

yellowwing
02-20-08, 02:58 PM
Maybe it is a two star billet that most Marines get promoted to three star after their tour.

I wonder who of our Officers here on Leatherneck will be the first to General Grade? :D

3rdTanks
02-25-08, 11:39 AM
It's all politics when you get up to those high ranks.;)

rvillac2
02-25-08, 04:10 PM
They can get promoted to a 3-star billet if they were already frocked or selected for the 2-star. It is not unheard of to skip a rank and end up into a billet that will ultimately be a final post.

Gen Krulak took 6 years from Colonel to Gen. He only had 5 months at Maj Gen, though.

CHOPPER7199
02-25-08, 07:47 PM
lets not forget. From civilian to Comander in Chief

saevurr
05-13-08, 11:27 AM
Below is an slightly midified statement of the laws governing promotion to the temporary rank of lieutenant general from the article that I wrote in Wiki. What was explained earlier above is very ture. When you reach O-7 grade, promotion is very political. You really have to know people.

Appointment and tour length of three-star lieutenant generals:

Title 10, Section 601 of the U.S. Code of Law explaines the following.

The three-star grade goes hand-in-hand with the positions of office it is linked to, so the rank is temporary. Officers may only achieve three-star grade if they are appointed to positions that require the officer to hold such a rank. Their rank expires with the expiration of their term of office, which is usually set by statute. Three-star lieutenant generals are nominated for appointment by the President from any eligible officers holding the rank of brigadier general or above, whom also meets the requirements for the position, under the advice and/or suggestion of their respective department secretary, service secretary, and if applicable the joint chiefs of staff. The nominee must be confirmed via majority vote by the Senate before the appointee can take office and thus assume the rank.

The standard tour length for most lieutenant general positions are three years but some are set four or more years by statute. Extensions of the standard tour length can be approved, within statutory limits, by their respective service secretaries, the Secretary of Defense, the President, and/or Congress but these are rare, as they block other officers from being promoted. Some statutory limits under the U.S. Code can be waived in times of national emergency or war. Three-star ranks may also be given by act of Congress but this is extremely rare.

BGen Joseph F. Dunford Jr. was confirmed by the Senate on April 29, 2008. He is currently waiting for his next assignment to be vacated. Once he assumes his next billet, he will be promoted.

saevurr
05-13-08, 11:46 AM
I also noticed that on usmc.mil they have him as MajGen (select), so he must be waiting to be confirmed for that grade. That makes sense to me now that I saw that. Same thing kinda happened to LtGen Coleman. I think he spent 4-5 months as a two star.

The Marine General Bios are out of date. BGen Dunford has been a one-star since 2004. He was originally nominated for promotion to a two-star major general on December 19, 2007. http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11572

He was then nominated again for promotion to three-star on February 19, 2008. http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11700

He was confirmed by the Senate for both nominations on April 29, 2008. http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/one_item_and_teasers/noms_confn.htm

saevurr
07-09-08, 12:26 AM
They can get promoted to a 3-star billet if they were already frocked or selected for the 2-star. It is not unheard of to skip a rank and end up into a billet that will ultimately be a final post.

Gen Krulak took 6 years from Colonel to Gen. He only had 5 months at Maj Gen, though.

Title 10 of the U.S. Code of law explains how three and four-star officers are appointed, specifically, Title 10 , Section 601.

The three-star and four-star grades goes hand-in-hand with the positions of office they are linked to, so these ranks is temporary. Officers may only achieve three-star and four-star grade if they are appointed to positions that require the officer to hold such a rank. Their rank expires with the expiration of their term of office, which is usually set by statute. Three and four-star officers are nominated for appointment by the President from any eligible officers holding the rank of brigadier general/rear admiral (lower half), or above rank, whom also meets the requirements for the position, under the advice and/or suggestion of their respective department secretary, service secretary, and if applicable the joint chiefs. The nominee must be confirmed via majority vote by the Senate before the appointee can take office and thus assume the rank. The standard tour length for most three and four-star positions are three years but some are set four or more years by statute. Extensions of the standard tour length can be approved, within statutory limits, by their respective service secretaries, the Secretary of Defense, the President, and/or Congress but these are rare, as they block other officers from being promoted. Some statutory limits under the U.S. Code can be waived in times of national emergency or war. Three-star and four-star ranks may also be given by act of Congress but this is extremely rare.

A lot more information can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_four-star_officers. The information provided from this Wiki page is pretty accurate since a many of it is taken directly and reference sourced from the U.S. Code.

saevurr
08-04-10, 02:43 AM
Dunford was selected for promotion to major general prior to his nomination for appointment to the rank of lieutenant general, but he was never frocked to two-star rank; meaning he was still a brigadier general when he was nominated for lieutenant general.

It is not unprecedented for a general or flag officer to jump two ranks. For example, during WWII, Chester Nimitz was promoted from a two-star rear admiral to a four-star admiral when he was appointed to the position of Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet. That position is a four-star billet. Three-star and four-star officers con ONLY achieve those ranks if they are also appointed to positions that require the officer to hold that rank. By law, an officer can be nominated for appointment to a three-star or four-star rank so long as they hold a one-star rank or above as well as meet the criteria for the position of office that rank is linked to. Dunford, most have meet the requirements, as well as know the top brass, to be nominated by the president from brigadier general to lieutenant general. That lieutenant general rank is tied to the position of Deputy Commandant for Plans, Policies, and Operations.

Theoldgunny
08-04-10, 07:01 AM
when that happened in the 50's it was a hint for the ones that were senior to him it was time to put in your letter

Covey_Rider
08-04-10, 07:56 AM
Saevurr...not getting the hint are you.

temarti
08-04-10, 08:16 AM
Lt.Gen. Coleman is the most recent that knew of, he just retired last year.

Lisa 23
08-04-10, 08:18 AM
Saevurr...not getting the hint are you.

Exactly! :thumbup: And bringing up a thread that's over 2 years old.