PDA

View Full Version : Loveland adventurer opens shooting range

thedrifter
02-19-08, 06:29 AM
Article published Feb 19, 2008
Loveland adventurer opens shooting range
BY VIMAL PATEL
Loveland Connection

Kevin Cooper spent 20 years in the Marines and a few others in war-torn locales such as Afghanistan and Iraq, providing security services for leaders of the countries' fledgling governments.

Now, the Loveland resident is settling down - mostly - and will spend more time at home taking care of his new business, The Front Range Gun Club.

Loveland's only indoor shooting range opened its doors to the public Friday, when shooting began and residents applied to join the membership-only club. With 15 shooting lanes, Cooper and his wife, Cindy, tout the indoor range as the largest in Colorado.

Guns are Cooper's business.

He knows how to train people to use them. He's spent a career learning how to use them. But he says he's not a fanatic.

"Guns are a tool," he said. "I shoot recreationally, but I'm not a wacko."

Cooper and his wife own another business, Front Range Training and Consulting LLC, which trains security officers. And the Front Range Gun Club has an upstairs room that will serve as a classroom for gun training and safety classes.

Cooper has had near-death experiences parachuting out of airplanes and has been shot at in Iraq. He isn't quite sure why he is drawn to life-threatening careers.

"I'm not an adrenaline junkie," he said. Without skipping a beat, he added: "Ah, h- - - , maybe I am."

But he explains there are teachers who were made to teach kids and do a great job at it.

And similarly, there are people who were made to protect other people.

"Somebody's got to strap on the hardware and go overseas," he said while giving a tour of the shooting range.

Three days before opening, Cooper, his wife and several friends and relatives spent the day running errands, tidying the place and giving informal tours.

Loveland resident Fred Larson, 65, got a tour of the new place last week. He said he'll probably join because this range is closer than the shooting range he visits in Fort Collins. He said he has been enjoying shooting guns since he was 18.

"It's relaxing and a challenge to hit the targets," he said. "I don't know if it's a testosterone thing."

Cindy Cooper thinks she knows why her husband, who might be headed to Afghanistan for a week in April for contracting work, does what he does.

"It really makes him happy," she said.

She knew she was marrying an adventurer, so she's accustomed to the months he's away. The couple communicates regularly through e-mail when apart.

"It sounds really naïve, but I try not to think about it much," she said. "I don't watch the news much. Me watching the news and worrying about him every second isn't going to make him safer. I trust that he's an expert at what he does."

This is the first time Cooper has been home for a whole year since about eight years ago.

The business, which has consumed the couple for the past three weeks, means Cooper will probably be sticking around more often.

But he still wants to go to Afghanistan. "If my wife will let me," he said.

Ellie