PDA

View Full Version : Trussville man wanted to be remembered as Marine

thedrifter
02-18-08, 08:17 AM
Feb 18, 2008
Trussville man wanted to be remembered as Marine

By Jane Self
Special to The Tuscaloosa News

Army Sgt. Jean Paul Medlin’s MySpace Web page lists coach Paul “Bear” Bryant as Medlin’s No. 1 hero and declares that the soldier is a huge Crimson Tide fan. It has several videos of University of Alabama football games, including footage of UA’s wide receiver Tyrone Prothro being taken off the field after breaking his leg during the game against the University of Florida on Oct. 1, 2005.

Before Medlin joined the Army, he served as a sniper for the Marines for four years, joining right after he graduated from Hewitt Trussville High School in 1998. At the end of that stint, he enrolled at Jefferson State College in Pelham and planned to pursue his education. But when the war in Iraq started, Medlin felt compelled to return to military service, this time opting for the Army.

In his MySpace profile, he said the best times of his life were while serving in the Marines, and he would consider himself a Marine until the day he died.

Unfortunately, that day came on May 19, 2007, when his vehicle was blown up by a roadside bomb in Baghdad. He had deployed to Iraq in October 2006 with the 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, out of Fort Hood, Texas. He was 27.

Medlin’s father, Ronnie Medlin, told The Birmingham News shortly after his son’s death that his son would not have died if he hadn’t been in the vehicle.

“If he had been on foot, it never would have happened; he was smart tactically,” Ronnie Medlin said.

Jean Paul Medlin’s coach in high school, John Scozzaro, said at the visitation before the funeral that Medlin was a great leader on and off the football field.

“He led a lot by example. When we were running sprints, he was always the first guy out there. He led everybody in sprints, and when people were tired and wanted to give up, Paul just said, ‘Hey, let’s keep going,’ ” Scozzaro said.

On a memorial page set up by Silvia Medlin, he is described as “an amazing brother, son, friend and soldier. He was always full of jokes and stunts aiming to make everyone laugh. My brother was a leader and took pride in everything he did. No matter how hard or bad things got, he always made the best of it. There isn’t a day that goes by I don’t think about or miss my brother. I will never forget his sacrifice. My brother will always be my hero!!!”

Friend since elementary school and former Marine Tommy Tyler said that though Medlin died an Army soldier, he always wanted to be remembered as a Marine. And he was. He was given a Marine funeral on June 2, 2007, and buried at his request next to his grandfather, “Big Paul” Medlin, in Trussville’s Forest Crest Cemetery.

Jean Paul Medlin described himself on MySpace as a “real down to earth person” who loved to travel and meet new people. “I’ve been up and down in my life, but always kept my pride. I’m the same person no matter what I have.”

Five other soldiers were killed in the same bombing that took Medlin’s life.

During his military career, he received several medals, including the Kosovo Campaign Medal with Bronze Service Star, the Global War on Terror (Service) Medal, the Army Service Ribbon, the Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the NATO Medal.

Ellie