PDA

View Full Version : Books About Boot Camp

Matt Brzycki
02-17-08, 08:04 PM
Years ago after the end of my enlistment, I started to collect books about boot camp. Some were totally fiction, some were loosely based on true stories and some were supposedly true stories. Most - if not all (it's been a while since I've read any) - were written by former Marines, Now, these books tell stories of boot camp and boot camp only. Other books that start with boot camp and then continue with extended tales of the recruits after boot camp - such as Full Metal Jacket - aren't on the list.

I found most at used bookstores. (This was the pre-Internet days.) Frankly, I got lucky. Anyway, here's the list along with author and date of first publication:

Rows of Corn: A True Account of a Parris Island Recruit (1983), Herbert L. Moore

Boot (1987), Daniel da Cruz

Sir, Yes Sir: U. S. Marine Boot Camp, Parris Island (1994), Martin Iacampo Sr

To Keep our Honor Clean (1980), Edwin McDowell

Finally, this classic:

Maggot (1971), Robert Flanagan

Anyone else know of any other titles?

On another note, am I posting to the right forum? I'm not trying to pee in anyone's soup; I'm still trying to get my bearings on this site. I got an e-mail from a Marine who advised me to watch where I post. (Thanks for the head's up, LL.) What forum(s) do I use for posting info/stories that are not fit for public consumption (for lack of better term)? Here?

Thanks.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

chrisf9028
02-18-08, 10:07 AM
Making the Corps...by Thomas E. Ricks

davblay
02-18-08, 10:13 AM
We use CHESTYS HOOCH for posting the more colorful posts, SGT! Welcome aboard.

Semper Fi

Dave

Matt Brzycki
02-18-08, 10:33 AM
Okay, then. I guess that's where you'll be finding me!

Many thanks.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Eric Hood
02-18-08, 01:41 PM
Hi Matt,
Making the Corps, by Atkinson. Excellent read and pro-Marine.
Not about Parris Island or San Diego, but "One Bullet Away" was very good. I wasn't an officer (and don't play one on tv), but he really gets the Marine spirit.
Semper Fi,
Eric:iwo:

ExPISCDI83
03-10-08, 09:27 AM
BOOT was a very good book.

Braden
03-10-08, 10:20 AM
Hi Matt,
Making the Corps, by Atkinson. Excellent read and pro-Marine.
Not about Parris Island or San Diego, but "One Bullet Away" was very good. I wasn't an officer (and don't play one on tv), but he really gets the Marine spirit.
Semper Fi,
Eric:iwo:
I also recommend Making the Corps, but I believe it was written by Thomas E. Ricks, Pulitzer Prize winning military correspondent for the Washington Post.

Matt Brzycki
03-11-08, 12:17 PM
About a week ago, I finished reading "Making the Corps" (and yes, it was by Thomas Ricks). I liked it a lot. Plenty of unexpected but appreciated sidebars about Marine history and other whatnot were sprinkled throughout the book. An informative read. It dragged a bit at first but picked up steam. Thanks for the recommendation.

I also just read "Parris Island Daze: My Drill Instructor Was Tougher Than Yours" (by Bob Shirley). At times it was interesting but the author (a former Marine) was way too sarcastic at times with a heavy dose of adolescent humor. I thought that it ruined the story. The book was only slightly better than okay.

BTW, I got these books and 2 others through Amazon. Great prices.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Eric Hood
03-11-08, 01:39 PM
I read Rick's book, because he praised the Marine Corps in the introdution and wrote well. It's my favorite read about PI. No book well every get it 100% correct. That is the type of experience one must live through. I ordered "Devil Dog Diary" and "Four in the Corps" from Amazon. I should see them today or tomorrow.
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

Matt Brzycki
03-15-08, 07:57 PM
I just finished reading "A Marine Corps Boot in Cold-War Parris Island" by Chris Madeira Jr. In a nutshell, it's a novel about boot camp that takes place in 1954. I didn't like it much at all. The plot was very strange. The author also tried to weave into the story different things from USMC history. As the recruit (guy with the same name as the author) went through boot camp, he met Maj Gen Chesty Puller who was the IG, served with fellow recruit Lee Harvey Oswald and survived a Ribbon Creek incident (complete with 6 recruits drowning). I wouldn't recommend it. Really disappointing.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

SlingerDun
03-15-08, 09:08 PM
'Maggot' was making the rounds in the berthing area out at sea and about all i recall was...the SDI? during hygiene inspection ordered and obese prive with skinny arms? to about face, bend over and grab his ankles? The Man then delivered a patent leather snap kick to his nut sack that echoed with a sharp report throughout the squad bay as said private fell in a heap and wiggled around moaning while his face turned purple and the stretcher bearing Corpsman arrived and he was never seen again?:scared:

I'd track that f*cker down if a had a functional ball left to do it!

--->Dave

SlingerDun
03-15-08, 09:19 PM
Now i remember, the story was basically about a Junior DI that didn't approve and struggled with the SDI's methods