PDA

View Full Version : Memorial to an outstanding Marine

MillRatUSMC
04-15-03, 10:56 PM
http://www.georgeneville.com/reasonerpatrol.jpg

http://www.georgeneville.com/reasonerpatrol.htm
The Reasoner patrol.
After undergoing Indocturation to Recon for the second time.
I had been in Charlie Company 1st Recon with the 1st Marine Division.
With 1st Recon we traveled just south of Cuba during the "Missiles of October" in 1962.
I was assigned to 2nd Platoon Bravo Company 3rd Recon sometime in May or June of 1963.
1st Lt. Frank S. Reasoner was platoon commander.
Early 1965 we got orders to proceed to Vietnam.
I heard that through a waitress in resturant in K-Bay Hawaii.
Before the military had issued an order.
So much for secrets.
When we arrived Okinawa, most of the line companies were short of NCO's.
There I got orders detacting me from Recon to India Co 3rd Bn 4th Marines.
That year and half spent training with Recon probably saved my life in Nam.
1965 was the closest I came to "buying the farm".
When that bullet pass by ear, all I heard was a loud crack.
I got down and proceeded to return fire.
I must have expanded 15 rounds out the magazine in my M-14.
I couldn't have pick a better role model for leadership than my platoon commander 1st Lt. Frank S. Reasoner.

1st LT REASONER FRANK STANLEY
Postumus Award
Co.A, 3rd Recon Bn.,
3rd MarDiv(Reinf.)
12JUL65
Near Da Nang,
RVN
The reconnaissance patrol led by 1st Lt. Reasoner had deeply penetrated heavily controlled enemy territory when it came under extremely heavy fire from an estimated 50 to 100 Viet Cong insurgents. Accompanying the advance party and the point that consisted of 5 men, he immediately deployed his men for an assault after the Viet Cong had opened fire from numerous concealed positions. Boldly shouting encouragement, and virtually isolated from the main body, he organized a base of fire for an assault on the enemy positions. The slashing fury of the Viet Cong machinegun and automatic weapons fire made it impossible for the main body to move forward. Repeatedly exposing himself to the devastating attack he skillfully provided covering fire, killing at least 2 Viet Cong and effectively silencing an automatic weapons position in a valiant attempt to effect evacuation of a wounded man. As casualties began to mount his radio operator was wounded and 1st Lt. Reasoner immediately moved to his side and tended his wounds. When the radio operator was hit a second time while attempting to reach a covered position, 1st Lt. Reasoner courageously running to his aid through the grazing machinegun fire fell mortally wounded. His indomitable fighting spirit, valiant leadership and unflinching devotion to duty provided the inspiration that was to enable the patrol to complete its mission without further casualties. In the face of almost certain death he gallantly gave his life in the service of his country. His actions upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service.

LCpl. Shockley was with Lt. Reasoner and was the next Marine WIA.
Lt. Reasoner attempted to make his way to Shockley under heavy fire from the machine gun that had the area bracketed.
It was at this time that Lt. Reasoner received gun shot wounds.

LCpl Shockley was Lt Reasoner's radioman.
Shockley survived his wounds to become an Officer of Marines.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo