PDA

View Full Version : Any poolee's here take the usmc physical yet?

kiddkilowatt
04-15-03, 04:31 PM
I'm going be taking the initial physical soon to see if I qualify. I was wondering, what all goes on? Will I be required to take a urine test, be subjected to cavity searches, or anything like that? I don't want to do anything that could get me diqualified. thanks in advance.

Cuelocks
04-15-03, 04:57 PM
Are you talking about when you go to MEPS to get the physical done? They don't look in your mouth but they do require you to take a drug test and if you are a female a pregnancy test as well. You have to do a bunch of weird movements like the duck walk and stamping on the floor, etc, etc. Its all to check and see how your joints function. But look, if you were honest with your recruiter than you shouldn't be nervous because you have nothing to hide. If you weren't honest, I suggest you come clean. They also take your blood and make you take an eye exam and hearing test...the whole shabang! Anyhow, if you were talking about the MEPS physical, this should give you some idea of what its like...I'd have to say its pretty thorough! They also ask you a bunch of times if you ever did drugs and how many times you smoked marijuana. Don't fret...we all have to go through it!

-Cuelocks

kiddkilowatt
04-15-03, 05:23 PM
Thanks very much. I'm not worried. I just wanted to make sure exactly what I was in for.

04-16-03, 06:45 AM
Your day at MEPS will definatly be a day you'll never forget...The duckwalk especially :( First thing they did when i went was give us all a breathalizer, then they checked our blood pressure, after that you get your sight and hearing tested, blood test, urinalasyis(**** test) and the physical. You'll sit in a room with about 20 other guys all in your boxers for about a half hour till this 60-70 year old guy comes out and puts you through all kinds of embarrasing exercises. Then he takes you into a room and gives you a one-on-one interview and a "more thorough" examination... after that you have to wait to get your paper work, then you egt to eat. Later on a Marine will privatly interview you and ask you about 15 times if you ever did drugs, each time he'll ask you a different way to try and trick you into saying you did. Overall, it's a LONG LONG BORING day.

03Infantry
04-16-03, 09:09 AM
Yeah the duckwalk in just boxer shorts was fun!!

gatormatt
04-17-03, 08:33 AM
also, you don't get to eat for like 18 or so before you go. has to do with the blood test. my OSO recommended that i eat a good amount of lean meat and some greens or spinach because many kids our age do not get enough iron.

Cuelocks
04-17-03, 09:08 AM
kiddkilowatt,
The reason why everyone at MEPS makes you do all these strange things and they ask you the same question in 10 different ways is because they only know what you tell them. There have been people that have gone in and lied about who knows what, their medical conditions, maybe they did LSD, I dunno. MEPS doesn't go and get your medical records from the day you were born. They only know about your medical history from you and from what you share with them. I can understand your nervousness. I mean it was pretty weird to stand around in a big white room in your underwear for as long as we did. And then when you go to get your contract put together they tell you 500 times about the consequences of fradulent enlistment...and you just have to say "yes ma'am, or yes sir, I understand ma'am." I was warned about the Marine who interviews you. This guy will pick up the phone and pretend hes talking to someone or some police department being like "look up so and so's police record and how many times did they go to court." And you could've told the guy that you never went to court (because you never did) but its just a scare tactic to make you fess up. But all that aside...its not that bad :) Good luck!

-Cuelocks

03Infantry
04-17-03, 06:52 PM
They pretty much ask you about 20 questions..........they ask you them about 20 times also. It is nothing. A lot of the time it is boring because you sit around and wait in lines.

Oxaric
04-20-03, 12:35 AM
I actually just went through MEPS all yesterday so I will share my experience with you.

Everyone began waiting in the MEPS lobby around 0500 and proceeded to wait until 0600 when the security finally allowed us all to board the elevators. All the soon to be enlistees traveled up to the 5th floor and proceeded into a big room with approximately 100 chairs with a big screen TV playing CNN. The different services had their seperate offices and most people hung around their service of choice. Mine being the Marine Corps I hung around there. There were 5 girls and about 35 boys, all slightly nervous. After a short period of waiting a Sergeant from the Marine Corps office came out and started calling our names. When my name was called I promptly said "Yes, sir!" and was issued my entry papers and a sticker with a bar code on it. Our first bout with de-humanization. :) Then an Army Sergeant came into the room and started telling us the instructions we needed to know and follow. Once the Sergeant was done we all filed in line to wait for the Control Desk where we received more paper work. After receiving the paper work we were told to go up to floor 6. Then we all filed into another smaller room when our last names were called. In this room a female doctor gave us instructions as to how to act and how to fill out the paper work line by line. Then our blood pressures were checked and then the breathalizer. If you passed the breathalizer you went into the next room. Only one guy was kept back but he came in later. As we entered the big room with many station numbers on various doors we were asked if we could pee a full cup immediately and if you answered "Yes, sir!" you were told to go sit down near the bathroom. There were something like 6 to 8 stations depending on how you look at it. In all there was the urine sample, the blood drawing, the vision test, the hearing test, the non-invasive physical, the exercises and weight and heigth test, then one last talk with a doctor before you were sent to get finger printed. After being finger printed we were told to wait at our services office. It was now about 1200 hours and everyone was very hungry. There were about 8 boys (or men) and 1 girl (or woman) for the Marine Corps waiting to be further processed. Their were two Sergeants in the office working but one was pulled away unexpectedly so the whole thing took much longer than normal. After a while the Sergreant told some of us to go grab some lunch with the threat that for every paper we lost we'd loose a finger. :) The lunch was good and free and consisted of a sub sandwich, chips, a soda or water, and some dessert if you so chose. After I finished lunch I returned back to the Marine Corps office they told me that I needed a paper from my doctor because I have skin condition that causes my hair follicles to produce too much carotine and so little red dots form. I've had them since birth and seen a dermatologist for them but they of course needed the documentation. I tried many times to reach the office but because of Good Friday they were all off so that is where my enlistment ended. I do know that the others who continued were all interviewed and that for my MOS I need a security clearance so I will be interrogated by a special interrogator or so I'm told. Those that passed the interview then were sworn in which takes a few minutes and then they go to their service office. I went to the head Marine Corps office and hung out in the waiting room and watched the follow up physical training tests. Those who sworn in had to do as many pullups as possible and 50 crunches in two minutes. You also have to run 1 and a half miles in under 13 minutes with your recruiter. At about 1800 my recruiter told me we were ready to leave and so me and another guy headed home. It was a very long day but not a very hard one. I think the hardest part is finally learning when you will be shipped out because you will probably hardly be able to think about anything but boot camp as I am now. I have seven months before shipping though so I will have to learn to adjust. I hope this long entry has put your mind at ease. Good Luck!

wrbones
04-20-03, 03:02 AM
Oxaric, good post! Well done!

Payin' attention, remembering what ya saw and being able to communicate that information to others, in detail if necessary, will do ya good whatever MOS ya get into!

That post epitomizes one type of interaction that we want our POOL-ees to do, here. Sharing information and encouraging others. Lettin' them know what ya went through and what might be next. Tellin' of yer difficulties and how they were resolved or are to be resolved.

Starting something new can be kinda worrisome, especially something as life changing as joining the Marine Corps. Any information is better than remaining ignorant. Even if it still scares ya some, the uncertainties are removed. Ya know what's coming.

Good post.

There is a mountain of information on this site, starting in the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums, from OCS to recruit training, to info about MOS's and the biggest part of what ya need to know when ya hit an MCRD. There is info on military science and Marine Corps history. The Code of Conduct and the UCMJ. A number of Marine Corps schools and their missions and locations are posted here. Politics, social science and other like disciplines are referenced here. Current events, world and military history. There are an unbelieveable amount of links and resources posted here. There are eye witness accounts of battles fought and how others before you felt or reacted. It's all posted here. ...and we do have some fun...especially with some of you POOL-ees. ;)

Knowing that you aren't the only one who has gone through this, or is going through this is no little comfort at times, I know.

You are joining the best military armed force that has ever existed. A legend. A myth. Our enemies fear us. No matter your MOS, the job is important to all Marines and their mission. Each Marine is part of a whole. We are a small force. If you don't do your job, and do it well, there may not be anyone else to pick up the slack. This is why some of us here may seem harsh at times. It is a harsh business we do. This is why recruit training and the MOS schools are so tough. We are the best, and we do not want you to let your buddies down in a pinch. We do not want you to let yourselves down. ...and we do not want you to let down those who came before.

As I've said before, in other posts, even in the time that this site has been up, the Marines who started out as POOL-ees and DEPers here, those who listened and learned, are now Marines and doing well in the Fleet. Several have made PFC utta boot without other programs. One that I know of made L/Cpl in boot after making PFC for other reasons

It takes work. Those of us on this site are more than willing to help, if we can, but if we don't think you're playin' us straight, you will catch hell!!! LOL. Once in awhile, someone will slap ya down if yer gettin' too stupid. It's to get yer attention so that we can teach ya somethin'. If you work hard at it now, though, things will be easier on you later and if you take advantage of the information a great number of us have provided on this site, that information will stand you in good stead throughout your carreer as a Marine. In other words, you'll have a head start on everyone else.

If you look for a topic on this site and can't find what you are looking for, ask. We'll set ya up. Just make sure ya looked first. We do have active duty recruiters on the site to answer your questions, but some things only yer recruiter can tell you for sure.

Bones

kiddkilowatt
04-21-03, 04:36 PM
WOW! My computer was down for a week so I didn't getr a chance to read all the responses. I'm overwelmed. Thanks everyone.

Sandcheez
08-04-07, 11:22 PM
when they ask you if you've ever done drugs, do you guys tell the truth? if you say yes, will they not let you in?

what do they ask you concerning surgeries or medical related hospital visits?

do they look at any medical records from your past?

what if you don't complete the IST? ie. the 1 1/2 mile run..50 crunches in 2 mins, and the pull ups?

I'm a bit husky, how can I shed more fat weight and gain more muscle weight before i turn 17(in Jan)?

I can run 1/10 of a mile every minute, how can I increase that?

how can I relieve stress from my knees?(they prevent me from running for too long but I know it's not a chronic problem...they only started hurting after I began running....like a month ago

I need alotta of questions answered...I need to know details, it's my lifes dream to be a Marine, if I were to be turned away it would be the end of my world...I'm not kidding...

:flag:

jungholee90
08-04-07, 11:46 PM
Hey Sandcheez, no one is going to answer your questions until you fill out the profile. Make sure you read the forum rules and stickys in this forum. After your profile is filled in, you will get detailed replies.
Briefly answering, no matter what you do you must tell the truth. So if you are thinking about hiding something, forget it. Keep on working on your physical condition.
You will get out as much as you put in.

sparkie
08-04-07, 11:58 PM
A little note,,, My day at MEPS. 1969... after we were all sworn in, we all went into a big room. All those inlisted stand at that wall, so I did. All those drafted, form up in one line.... As some military type walked down their line, he counted 1,2,3,4,Marine, 1 2 3 4,Marine. Shoulda seen some faces ;]

jungholee90
08-05-07, 12:19 AM
Haha Sgt., so they were assigned/picked to become Marines? I bet there were lots of mixed feelings among those people lol.

davblay
08-05-07, 12:22 AM
WOW! My computer was down for a week so I didn't getr a chance to read all the responses. I'm overwelmed. Thanks everyone.
POSTED 4/21/03, ya'll! Attention to detail!

Sandcheez
08-05-07, 01:42 AM
done...can my questions be answered now?

davblay
08-05-07, 07:58 AM
Sandcheez posted the following questions:

when they ask you if you've ever done drugs, do you guys tell the truth? if you say yes, will they not let you in?

You always tell the truth, and if you pass the drug test you probably can still get in, depends!

what do they ask you concerning surgeries or medical related hospital visits?

They want a complet explanation as to what, when and where, etc.

do they look at any medical records from your past?

Yes, if they are questionable, your recruiter will advise you befor you go to MEPS.

what if you don't complete the IST? ie. the 1 1/2 mile run..50 crunches in 2 mins, and the pull ups?

Normally they won't ship oyu until you can pass the IST However if you get to MCRD and Fail the IST. they will place you in PCP for conditioning.

I'm a bit husky, how can I shed more fat weight and gain more muscle weight before i turn 17(in Jan)?

PT my friend, PT and watch what you eat.

I can run 1/10 of a mile every minute, how can I increase that?

consistance, run every day and push harder every day.

how can I relieve stress from my knees?(they prevent me from running for too long but I know it's not a chronic problem...they only started hurting after I began running....like a month ago

Stretch and prepare!

I need alotta of questions answered...I need to know details, it's my lifes dream to be a Marine, if I were to be turned away it would be the end of my world...I'm not kidding...

jungholee90
08-05-07, 12:17 PM
Yup, Cpl. answered just about everything.
Just adding on your last two questions, so you run 1 mile in 10 minutes? To shorten that time, try this: Sprint 10 seconds, then jog 20 seconds. Alternate this until you reach a mile. Work with this for a while and then make your Sprint time 20 seconds and decrease time you jog to 10 seconds, and so on... Also slowly increase the distance you run. Sprinting will get your run time shorter.

For your knees, it might be your running shoes: get a pair of running shoes with some kind of cushioning air or something, that can decrease the impact your knees get. If it's not your shoes, then it might be the way you run: do not stump your feet on the ground when you run, but roll your feet from heel to toe when you put them on the ground.

I hope this helps!

Dave Coup
08-05-07, 01:22 PM
Sparkie that's freakin' hilarious. I didn't get to see that when I went in but I know that the 1 or 2 draftees we had were not happy campers.

SF

Dave

davblay
08-05-07, 01:31 PM
Dave that was SOP in the day! They needed 18 more Marines when I enlisted, a Captain came out first and gave them a chance to volunteer, 3 did. Then a Lt came in and let them volunteer agin, got 5 more. Then a Gunny came in and pointed to 10 and said "you are in my Corps now follow me"! That's the way it was done in 1969.

paintballtroop
08-05-07, 04:38 PM
How much blood to they take on your blood test?

jungholee90
08-06-07, 03:12 AM
Very little, just about one blood vial. It's not like donating blood for sure haha.

paintballtroop
08-07-07, 10:19 PM
Very little, just about one blood vial. It's not like donating blood for sure haha.ok thanks I wasnt really for sure.