PDA

View Full Version : Nursing home ceremony honors hospitalized veterans

thedrifter
02-17-08, 07:30 AM
Nursing home ceremony honors hospitalized veterans
By Dave Thompson
dthompson@newsadvance.com

He joined the Marines in 1942, completed his basic training at Parris Island, S.C., and jumped headlong into World War II. His division was the first to set foot in Hiroshima after the atomic bomb dropped in 1945, signaling the near-end of the war.

He received shrapnel in one eye during the war, and the effects of nuclear fallout after Hiroshima. At 88 and suffering from Parkinson’s Disease, he resides at the Guggenheimer Health and Rehabilitation Center in Lynchburg.

On Friday, Wilfred C. Raymond was recognized for his service.

“He’s always been very, very patriotic,” said his daughter, Mary Jane Helfrich. “When he was able to … he marched in all the parades,” she said, before the disease finally debilitated him.

A group of local Vietnam and Korean War veterans organized a ceremony as the culmination of “National Salute to Hospitalized Veterans Week.”

The organizers, after a short address to begin the ceremony, showed no partiality to a particular service branch, singing the first verse of each branch’s song.

Some veterans gave short speeches or shared memories, and Guggenheimer’s veterans took turns introducing themselves.

Seven veterans were recognized in the ceremony, six from World War II and one from the Korean War. Duties ranged from taking part in the Battle of the Bulge to little combat experience, but all shared in the recognition by a group of grateful veterans.

Sam Mosley, an Army veteran of the Korean War, said he decided to organize the event after seeing the hospitalized veterans week mentioned in a flyer at the nursing home.

“I said, ‘Oh, that’s good, I’ll see what I can put together,’” Mosley said.

The event surpassed his expectations with help his wife and friends.

“It went a lot further than what I thought it was. The outcome was really, really pleasing.”

Raymond’s personal items lined the table at the front of the room. Included in the setup were his bayonet, a citation, his medals and a scrapbook, put together by Helfrich.

“He’s always had his stuff out where you can see it,” she said. “He’s never been ashamed of it.”

“He might be most proud of his expert gunmanship (medal),” she said, “because he’s always been a gunman, he’s always been a hunter,” she said.

Raymond was the only Marine in his family. His three brothers served in the Army and Navy, respectively, and a grandson served in the Army National Guard.

“And of course he thinks the Marines are the best,” Helfrich said.

The organizers ended the ceremony with a respectful salute. Raymond, who has been at the nursing home for four years, was physically unable to return it.

But Helfrich said she noticed his eyes widening, his head straightening up a bit.

“I know he’s always been very proud of his part and America’s part in that war,” she said.

Ellie