PDA

View Full Version : 2 share another milestone in service

thedrifter
02-17-08, 07:14 AM
2 share another milestone in service
Marines who served together in Iraq are among 15 graduates sworn in as Howard police officers

By Tyeesha Dixon

Sun reporter

February 17, 2008

Michael Pickett and Frank Moran III served in Iraq together in the same Marine Corps unit.

When they returned home from their deployment, they applied to the Howard County Police Academy together. Seven months later, they were sworn in as officers on the same stage.

The department welcomed 15 new officers into the force Wednesday night at the graduation of its 31st Police Academy, held at Centennial High School in Ellicott City.

The academy was the first class to train at the James N. Robey Public Safety Training Center, the $35 million county police and fire training facility in Marriottsville that is expected to be completed this summer.

"You are joining a select few who have earned the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the community and make a significant impact on the individuals in that community," Police Chief William J. McMahon told the new graduates at the ceremony. The department has about 400 sworn officers.

"It's really about a passion to make a difference. ... You'll learn that all those values that you hold so deeply don't go away when your shift ends," the chief said.

McMahon urged the recruits to remember how supportive their community is.

"We have to keep that trust," he said. "We have to maintain that trust every day."

Although Howard is one of two counties in Maryland that require police officers to have at least a two-year college education or military equivalency before joining the academy, the County Council approved this month a plan that would allow recruits to earn their degrees while in the academy.

For Moran and Pickett, becoming police officers has been a lifetime dream. They served in Haditha, Iraq, from October 2006 until March 2007 and applied to the academy two months after returning to the United States. They were among six recruits in their academy who have served in the military.

"We've kind of stuck it out together," said Moran, 25, of Westminster.

Becoming a police officer was a family tradition for Moran. His father was a Maryland state trooper for almost 30 years, and his mother was a Howard County police officer for 10 years. Before his deployment to Iraq, Moran was a correctional deputy for the Carroll County Sheriff's Office for four years.

"Both of my parents were in law enforcement -- it kind of just stuck with me," Moran said.

The military-style structure of the academy helped the two Marines readjust when they returned from Iraq, Moran said. Both are enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve.

"It kind of helped us ease back into the swing of things," he said.

Pickett, who completed two tours in Iraq, said he is the first person in his immediate family to become a police officer, but he has known for as long as he can remember that he wanted a career in law enforcement. He hopes to become a canine officer.

"I like that it's different, something that makes a difference in people's lives," said Pickett, who took home three of the five achievement awards announced at the graduation ceremony. "I like to deal with people."

Before the academy recruits were sworn in and received their badges, class speaker Lance Bergersen reminded his classmates that their hard work had paid off. The academy began with 23 recruits.

"Although we reduced in numbers, we quickly grew stronger," Bergersen said during his speech. "I know that each and every one of us has become a better person ... we have sweat together, endured pain together. And at the end of the day, we had each other's backs."

Before the ceremony, Moran, in his crisp dress uniform and finely polished black department-issued shoes, sat up straight. But he veered temporarily from the all-business demeanor and smiled slightly as he described how he felt about receiving his badge.

"I'm very happy," he said. "It feels good. I'm sure my parents are very happy, too."

tyeesha.dixon@baltsun.com
The Howard County Police Department is now testing for the July academy class. For information call (410)-313- HCPD or send an e-mail to recruitment@howardcountymd.gov.

Ellie