View Full Version : Experience in Iraq woke ex-Marine's inner artist

thedrifter
02-17-08, 07:11 AM
Posted February 17, 2008

Experience in Iraq woke ex-Marine's inner artist

Creator McGee calls his works dream-like

By Sara Boyd
sboyd2@greenbaypressgazette.com

It took a lack of freedom for Ken Geason to discover his true passion for creative, surrealist art.

Geason, who goes by his artist name Melvin McGee, served about six years in the Marine Corps, including three months in Iraq and Kuwait. The self-taught artist said the experience was a big wake-up call.

"The Marines is … structured, and while you're in there, you can't express your thoughts," he said. "You always do what you're told, and you live by that."

His art — and his artistic identity — have helped him to be more free.

"It just allows me to jump out of this person here into a different creative energy," the 28-year-old said. "For me, Ken Geason, to create this, you always have to worry about negativity and just people judging you. But once you create this character, you're free from that."

The name itself — Melvin McGee — is comprised of a combination of an old nickname and a tribute of sorts to Dr. Seuss, an inspiration for Geason.

"My brother would always nickname me Melvin, I think from the movie 'Renaissance Man' about the Army," he said. "Melvin would be the guy sleeping all the time."

McGee, he said, reminded him of Dr. Seuss and was "fun and whimsical" — a platform seen through his work as well.

Walking around his Green Bay basement, where he creates and stores his oil-based paintings, there is an apparent theme: endless colors with limitless expressions.

It's the dream-like imagery he said he likes to create — one that can yield endless interpretation.

One of his favorites, "The Aftermath," was a piece Geason did when he returned from Iraq, an expression of his thoughts on war.

"I think it's good for people to interpret it their own way," he said. "I could tell them what my thought process was … but I like to hear what they come up with."

It's the only painting in his home that signifies his time in the service — a time he said he's glad is behind him.

"Fortunately I didn't see much over there, but it scares you enough where you say to yourself, 'If I make it out of this, I'm going to do this when I get home,' " he said.

He worked construction at first when he returned, to pay the bills, but kept working on his art on the side. Now, he creates art full-time, through his own start-up business.

"It's just the point where I always knew I had to do it, and I was always scared to do it," he said of the transition to a full-time artist. "You just have to believe in yourself sometimes."

His artwork stays clear of reality, focusing more on creative characters to make people smile and laugh, he said.

As a younger artist, he did some realism but found the freedom of expression through art much more powerful.

"To have your freedom stripped away makes you appreciate your freedom," he said. "Just to see the joy of my art in other people gives me joy."

Ellie