PDA

View Full Version : Base commander settling in during first billet at Lejeune

thedrifter
02-17-08, 06:55 AM
Base commander settling in during first billet at Lejeune
KEVIN FORSYTHE
2008-02-16 00:44:00
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It didn't surprise many when Col. Richard P. Flatau Jr. was named as commanding officer at Camp Lejeune.

Well - there was one exception, Flatau himself.

"I thought Norfolk (Flatau's previous billet) was going to be my last assignment," said Flatau. "I expected that when the time came, I'd be 'hanging up my cleats' at Norfolk."

During the ceremonial change of command from Col. Adele Hodges to Flatau at Camp Lejeune, the new commanding officer also expressed his surprise and delight at the appointment.

"All I can say is, 'Wow. This is something,'" he said.

The new Camp Lejeune commander recently took time out from a busy schedule to speak with The Daily News about his first days on the job. Sitting in his office, still void of much more than office furniture, Flatau spoke about Camp Lejeune, the Marine Corps and his family.

Since taking command in January, it's been a combination of getting down to business and getting him and his family moved and comfortable in their new surroundings.

Flatau's billet marks his first time stationed at Camp Lejeune. He did, however, spend several years on assignment at Cherry Point.

As for his early impressions of Camp Lejeune, Flatau said, "It's a big place with a lot going on. It's lived up to everything everybody has told me. It truly is a unique place."

In January, Flatau referred to Camp Lejeune as the "crown jewel of the support staff."

He said it's too early to have a vision of exactly what the future holds for the base and the Marines stationed there.

One thing is certain, addressing issues pertaining to the coming increase in end strength will figure prominently on Flatau's agenda.

"The next few years will truly be a historic time for Camp Lejeune," Flatau said.

He said he has been briefed on major construction plans and is involved in budget issues.

"It's been broad-brush discussions at this point," Flatau said.

He said there are two primary responsibilities he knows he will be addressing throughout his command. One will be the balancing of security of the base with accessibility of the base for the community.

The other will be to see that the base and its forces are adaptive and capable of change.

He said that a change in the country's leadership could also result in altering Camp Lejeune's function.

"We have national elections coming up, and who knows just what that could mean for us," Flatau added.

No matter what the future brings, the role of Camp Lejeune and the training of Marines for combat will continue to be an evolutionary process.

"We've seen in just the span of time since the global war on terrorism that it's a thinking enemy we're fighting. We have to be ready to adapt and react," Flatau said.

Being able to adapt is what got Flatau into the Marines. While still a student at George Mason University, Flatau was approached by a Marine officer selection officer.

"I always had an interest in the military, and I thought I may join the Navy; my dad was in the Navy," said Flatau. "My dream had been to fly. But after talking with the officer selection officer, I thought to myself that if I can make it in the Marines, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I could make it in any branch of service."

Flatau said that he considered the Marine Corps "a calling, not terribly unlike the priesthood."

Another significant event in Flatau's life also occurred at a college in 1997. While attending Naval Postgraduate School in California as a major, he met a Navy lieutenant who was also attending the school. The Navy lieutenant would become his wife.

Flatau's wife Marcia now is a commander in the Navy reserves. Together they have three children, a boy, 8, and two girls, ages 6 and 4.

But the Flataus have an increase in end strength of their own about to take place. Marcia is due to give birth to another son at the end of the month.

That will fall right in line with one of Flatau's favorite pastimes - spending time with his family.

"It's pretty exciting at times," Flatau said laughingly. "I spend a lot of time watching children's movies with my kids."

While he enjoys staying in shape by running and lifting weights, Flatau isn't a big sports fan. He admits that having grown up in northern Virginia, though, he does follow the NFL's Washington Redskins.

He said he has a very broad palette when it comes to foods he likes.

"I really don't have any one favorite food, I enjoy all kinds of food, including lots of different ethnic food," Flatau said.

Not only does he enjoy eating a wide variety of foods, he and his wife both enjoy spending time cooking, too.

It's been less than a month since Flatau became the officer in command at Camp Lejeune, but already he is thankful for the opportunity.

"As the days and weeks have gone by, I am thankful for many things, among them the warm welcome and generosity the community has shown me and my family," he said.

Contact Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171, ext. 8449. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie