PDA

View Full Version : Bars just off Base.

mcvet57103
02-16-08, 03:11 PM
Hey lets hear about some of the memorable bars, and locations, and what they had that was entertaining. Lets try to keep it somewhat clean LOL.

outlaw3179
02-16-08, 03:31 PM
Goodies in San Clemente was ok on particular nights. Only if you were after some Cougars and didnt want to drive down to PB , SD or LA.

mcvet57103
02-16-08, 03:40 PM
Goodies in San Clemente was ok on particular nights. Only if you were after some Cougars and didnt want to drive down to PB , SD or LA.

I remember "Frenchies" just up the road from the main gate at Camp Lejeune. He had the ceiling covered in caps that people didn't take off when they entered. If you hadn't removed your cover before he rang a bell you lost it.

In Oki, just outside of Camp Schwab, there was a bar in Henoko city called Club Lucky. Man the stories I could tell about that joint.

jrhd97
02-16-08, 03:47 PM
The Driftwood right outside the main gate at Camp Lejeune. Don't have to tell the entertainment there. :bunny: Outside the main gate at Camp Foster in Kitami there was Whiskey River. Run by a retired Master SGT. The Harley bar just up the road close to Lester was pretty cool. All sorts of good bars outside Kadena, where we weren't supposed to be.

Kegler300
02-16-08, 03:47 PM
Although I've never been there...ahem...I expect there will be some "Driftwood" posts here as it is the first "bar" just outside of the main gate to Camp Paradise.

mcvet57103
02-16-08, 03:59 PM
The Driftwood right outside the main gate at Camp Lejeune. Don't have to tell the entertainment there. :bunny: Outside the main gate at Camp Foster in Kitami there was Whiskey River. Run by a retired Master SGT. The Harley bar just up the road close to Lester was pretty cool. All sorts of good bars outside Kadena, where we weren't supposed to be.

In 75-76 Nago City Okinawa was off limits to Marines. As you can guess we took the risk of being caught and went there.

Never partied so hard in all my 4 years! The Mama-sons, and the Ney-sons took really good care of us.

The Bar closed at 1am so they locked the doors and we continued our paty till 4 am. They had a secret door in the back of the bar about 3 feet square that led to the alley.

We barely avoided the J.P.s and snagged a cab back to base. Was a once in a life time experience. One of the best.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-16-08, 08:50 PM
There was maybe still is a bar in Quantico that used to serve flaming Dr Peppers. Sorry my fault. I caught the table on fire.:beer: Also remember Casey's next to a country bar at Lejeune.

kaboom1371
02-16-08, 08:56 PM
The Wagon Wheel in San Clemente. Only bar in the states I can remember encouraging stripping on the bar and posting pics of worthy hot bodies on a bulletin board.

semperfiman
02-16-08, 08:58 PM
72-73 kadena rendevous bar i dont ever remember leaving

SlingerDun
02-16-08, 09:15 PM
Jo Lo's, Olongapo City P.I. Large stacks of coin peso's where the preffered tip.

GoDown and the Bull and Bear, Hong Kong. Where you could drink all night with Royal Marines, or could you?:beer:

--->Dave

jrhd97
02-16-08, 09:41 PM
We used to take flight on the weekends and go to Wilmington to the Palmetto ( think that was the name) or Greenville to the Two Step, where I met the old lady.

jinelson
02-16-08, 11:16 PM
The Tail Of The Bull just outside the main gate at MCAS El Toro. A retired Marine named Lyle was the owner, cook, bar tender and bouncer. Payday tabs were the plan of the day. Also the Club Happy Happy in Bangclap Thailand was great.

Jim

thewookie
02-16-08, 11:24 PM
Does the love shack on green beach in the Philippines count?

thewookie
02-16-08, 11:26 PM
And The Shack, just outside the rear gate of Kaneohe in Kailua.

kaboom1371
02-17-08, 02:28 AM
Rock America in Kinville

outlaw3179
02-17-08, 03:17 AM
Sin Alley in Phuket...Outstanding!

Quinbo
02-17-08, 04:18 AM
And The Shack, just outside the rear gate of Kaneohe in Kailua.

Oh if we mention Kailua you can't skip the 23rd step. Nickle beer night every Thursday and bn PT Friday morning LOL.

Hanging with the royals at the bull and the bear is indeed a challenge. All the guiness you can stand and when they are buying you just have to stay for one more round.

mcvet57103
02-17-08, 09:17 AM
There was a bar in Kinville Okinawa. Forget the name, was pretty sh*tfaced when I got there. All I remember is a stripper doing a thing with a peeled banana, enough said. LOL

Phantom Blooper
02-17-08, 09:25 AM
Bob, we have the distinguished privilege of having a young CPL on this site with the screen name of "Covey Rider",AKA ,"Banana King" whom would have first hand knowledge about the name,show and the amazing things that one can do if on a banana diet!:banana: :banana: :banana:

jrhd97
02-17-08, 11:07 AM
There was a bar in Kinville Okinawa. Forget the name, was pretty sh*tfaced when I got there. All I remember is a stripper doing a thing with a peeled banana, enough said. LOL
That was one of those places that was on the must see list. LOL. Two times there was enough.:sick:

thewookie
02-17-08, 11:34 AM
Well, since it's going in this direction,,,there once was this bar in Naha. Where the girls would pick up pescos with their,,eh you know. So one day we went to, but it all went down hill once "someone" decided to warm up the pescos with their zippo. Ouch

thewookie
02-17-08, 11:37 AM
Oh if we mention Kailua you can't skip the 23rd step. Nickle beer night every Thursday and bn PT Friday morning LOL.

Hanging with the royals at the bull and the bear is indeed a challenge. All the guiness you can stand and when they are buying you just have to stay for one more round.

I remember that place, and I also remember the punishment of having to run Bn PT the next day up and down KT. I purged my stomach and swore I'd never drink again on many times during those runs but we always went back the next week for the cheap beer. Kailua had many great spots like that if you bothered to look.

Hey Sgt. Quinn, speaking of guiness, did you ever serve or know of a Colonel Cobb in KBay? At the time, and for many years after it he held the Guinness World Book of Records for consecutive sit-ups, something like 44,000. He was hard.

mcvet57103
02-17-08, 12:27 PM
That was one of those places that was on the must see list. LOL. Two times there was enough.:sick:

That night there were some Grunts taking bets on which one of them would eat the pieces. :sick:

gutinstinct
02-17-08, 12:35 PM
Can't remember the bar in Olongapo but, there was this show using red, white and blue ping pong balls. I never viewed the female body the seem after that show. I am still in shock, LOL. Any of you old salts remember that ?

Big Jim
02-17-08, 12:35 PM
Well, since it's going in this direction,,,there once was this bar in Naha. Where the girls would pick up pescos with their,,eh you know. So one day we went to, but it all went down hill once "someone" decided to warm up the pescos with their zippo. Ouch

Yep!! I remember that bar!! It was called "The Stage" and it was just off Kokosai Street in Naha! I tell you I can take you directly to that bar right now if we landed at Kadena today!! LOL!! You could also get up and participate in consensual sex right in front of anybody...after you pay 'bar fine'...of course!

Does anybody remember the Jack Daniels Bar in Olongopo near sh!t river on the edge of the Mariposa in the Philipines? I heard it was torn down before the bases closed. We used to drink tequila margaritas and Red Horse beer to no end up on the outside patio...even fell off once!! Aaahhh....good memories!!

jrhd97
02-17-08, 02:45 PM
Yep!! I remember that bar!! It was called "The Stage" and it was just off Kokosai Street in Naha! I tell you I can take you directly to that bar right now if we landed at Kadena today!! LOL!! You could also get up and participate in consensual sex right in front of anybody...after you pay 'bar fine'...of course! ...
Oh man the stage show. LOL.
There was a place called Apples ( ?? close to a skin head bar)out side gate 5 on Kadena. The jap woman, mostly students would buy us beer.

FistFu68
02-17-08, 02:56 PM
:evilgrin:JUST NORTH OF QUANTICO,ON HGY.1;WAS A BAR CALLED "HILLBILLY HEAVEN";OWNED @ OPERATED BY"DONNA DIXONS" PARENTS.SHE WOULD ALWAYS POP IN AND HIT DADDY UP FOR CASH.ONE NIGHT A MARINE WAS GETTING ROUSTED BY A FEW REDNECKS OUT IN THE PARKING LOT,HE REACHED IN THE BACK OF ONE OF THE PICKUP TRUCKS OUT THERE AND GRABBED AN AXE,AND BURIED IT THE AZZ-HOLES HEAD;KILLING HIM INSTANTLY.CHIT HAPPENS:D

Teufelhund323
02-17-08, 03:22 PM
Oh, yeah......The Driftwood, The Bayou, Tobey's, Tony's Brown Bagger etc.

Marine84
02-17-08, 04:44 PM
Charlie Brown's Part II - outside the gate in Iwakuni. Bartender named Jimmy and his cohort - Tony - called me "Butterfly" and "Kimuson". Sucked down many a Taiwan Boogie in that little hole of a place. Everybody hung out at Charlie Brown's! The Poem was another place cause you could get a HUGE plate of steamed clams for about a couple hundred yen. And another place I can't remember the name - where you could get the BEST BLT sandwiches I have EVER had in my life!

Morrie's in Millington - just a laid back place to hang out and drink and The New Centurian in Memphis - was on top of some building, rotated, was glass from floor to ceiling and was a dance club! Shook many a tail feather there - (evil grin).

mcvet57103
02-17-08, 04:59 PM
Was a place (not a bar) in Henoko City okinawa that you could get Yaka Soba made fresh while you watched. I often wondered if it was truly beef they used in it.

We would spend the evening drinking MoJo and go there right before they closed and chow down. I have yet to taste any recipie that compares.

Another thing I remember from the rock was across from the main gate at Camp Hanson there was a place that sold "chicken legs" for 2 dollars american. I put quotation marks around Chicken legs because they were awfully big for chickens. Always wondered because of the absence of dogs .................. was still good chow when you are hungry after a night of sucking down the local watered down hooch. LOL

thewookie
02-17-08, 05:02 PM
Another thing I remember from the rock was across from the main gate at Camp Hanson there was a place that sold "chicken legs" for 2 dollars american. I put quotation marks around Chicken legs because they were awfully big for chickens. Always wondered because of the absence of dogs .................. was still good chow when you are hungry after a night of sucking down the local watered down hooch. LOL

I remember that place outside of Hansen with the "chicken" legs. Those were the biggest chickens in the world if that was really chicken? They also had great corn dogs there!

mcvet57103
02-17-08, 05:09 PM
I remember that place outside of Hansen with the "chicken" legs. Those were the biggest chickens in the world if that was really chicken? They also had great corn dogs there!

God! I was beginning to think there were no Marines on the Island when I was there. Thanks for the come back.

FistFu68
02-17-08, 06:31 PM
:usmc: FORGOT TOO AD,THAT DONNA'S DADDY;WOULD ALWAYS BUY ANY MARINE OR ARMY PERSONNEL THE 1ST.@LAST BEER!THAT WAS VERY RARE,IN 1969!!!:beer: :beer:

sgt tony
02-17-08, 08:04 PM
The Silver Spur in Kinville

sparkie
02-17-08, 08:09 PM
The U and I club,,, not far from $hit river.On the left.

rb1651
02-18-08, 10:59 AM
I remember Charlie Browns II. Spent many a weekend at that place. First place I ever tried the haboo sake. Hey, Kim, remember the "rainbow"? Something like eight shots of different liquor poured into one stem glass and each layer seperated itself? I remeber having one, but not I sure didn't rember much afterwards!!!! :sick: No offense, Kim, but you didn't "star" in any of the movies that were played on all the T.V.'s there did you?? ;) LOL

usmchauer
02-18-08, 12:51 PM
The bars in San Clemente were leaps and bounds above any bar you'd find in Oceanside. I was always a fan of Dukes, Goodys and an Irish joint in that area (can't remember the name of it) Far better than "The Rusty Spur" or "Bub's Dive" in oceanslime.

*EDIT On a side note - a friend of mine called a telephone number written on the wall of a bar's bathroom in Oceanside, turned out to be a dude lookin' to give somebody head.

ENGR1371
02-18-08, 02:04 PM
There's 2 bars I remember well, one was the "Rocky - Road!" (or RockyRun?) outside LeJeune, primarely a biker bar, not to many of us jarheads hung out there. They always had a big bonfire outback on the weekends! Good times!
The other bar was "The Alibi!", 2 little dives outside of LeJeune!

Semper Fi!

gunnybaer
02-18-08, 05:38 PM
The White rose in Kailua and
Big Helens in San Clemente

outlaw3179
02-18-08, 05:43 PM
Coachs Corner in Carlsbad was fun.

mcvet57103
02-18-08, 05:47 PM
Ya know when I stated this thread I didn't think I would get so many replies. I guess we all have memorable places that we hung out after duty. Those hangouts are some of my most enjoyed memories. I am glad that I could spur so many good memories and attention from all of you. What is cool is some of you could have been in those same bars when I was there. Maybe you can add some memorable nights you remember to the thread. I would enjoy hearing the old bar stories. Of course we need to keep em somewhat clean. LOL Keep em coming Marines! I am loving this thread. Semper Fi

Finger
02-18-08, 06:25 PM
Home come nobody said The Wolrd Famous Thunderbird that used to stand in J'ville. If you did, my old eyes missed it.

Marine84
02-18-08, 06:39 PM
I remember Charlie Browns II. Spent many a weekend at that place. First place I ever tried the haboo sake. Hey, Kim, remember the "rainbow"? Something like eight shots of different liquor poured into one stem glass and each layer seperated itself? I remeber having one, but not I sure didn't rember much afterwards!!!! :sick: No offense, Kim, but you didn't "star" in any of the movies that were played on all the T.V.'s there did you?? ;) LOL

OH MY GOD! THE MOVIES - Jimmy used to love to start that trash up everytime we got one of the tables in the back! LOL!

rb1651
02-18-08, 07:11 PM
OH MY GOD! THE MOVIES - Jimmy used to love to start that trash up everytime we got one of the tables in the back! LOL!

Ahhhh, the memories!!!!;) :banana:

SgtHopperUSMC
02-18-08, 08:26 PM
Home come nobody said The Wolrd Famous Thunderbird that used to stand in J'ville. If you did, my old eyes missed it.I remember it. Noticed they always had cracks in the windows from the bands.

jrhd97
02-18-08, 08:43 PM
How can you forget the Thunderbird. It's gone now.

cball
02-19-08, 04:18 PM
Can't remember the names but we spent a lot of time at the bars in Havelock and Slocum Village outside Cherry Pt.One I think was called The Main Gate.

zx6rdr
02-19-08, 04:52 PM
the Redeye in kinville, there was also a irish style joint just to the left when you walked out the gate I cant remember the name (anybody remember it?)

crate78
02-20-08, 06:35 PM
There was "The Rendesvous" across the street from the main gate at Cherry Point, also, "The Hangar" a litte further down the road.

I remember "Morries" in Millington, TN and "Tail o' the Bull" by El Toro.

On Good Friday when I was in AQB school at NAS, Memphis, a bunch of us checked out from school about 1300 to "go to church", and headed straight for Morries and drank beer all afternoon. A SSgt and a MSgt were riding double on an old Cushman scooter, and when we broke up they wiped out on the railroad tracks a block down the street. An ambulance hauled them off. The MSgt said on Monday, "Try explaining to your wife what you're doing in the hospital drunk on your butt when you were supposed to have been in school all day!"

Memories!!!!!!!!

crate

yellowwing
02-20-08, 06:50 PM
A mile out the back of El Toro was the Iron Mule. It was okay, but when they closed on the weekend everyone went to the Bonfire afterwards to keep up the party. A few Bros lost a bit o money shooting dice with the locals.

Albany, the Monkey Palace was a real dive bar with a thick layer of cigarette smoke that was like CS. One Bro was outside and got hit in the head with a half full bottle of Jack Daniels thrown at him from an unpatriotic citizen. He was happy cause it didn't break and he laid claim to it!

All in all the best parties were local groupies that invited us back to their place to party with them and their girlfriends. They presented quite a 'target rich environment'! ;)

03grunt11
02-20-08, 07:17 PM
:usmc: Anyone who was up at Adak Ak know this place it was the only place to go.
Tun Tavern and cookies...
And down in Camp Lejeune is the driftwood and tobey

Artemis
02-21-08, 12:16 PM
Alabamas just outside of MCAS Futenma in Okinawa. I spent many of hours in that place. Another couple favorites are the Side Door and Gate 2 Garage off of Kadena AFB in Okinawa.

MGySgtSki
02-21-08, 12:29 PM
Oh, yeah......The Driftwood, The Bayou, Tobey's, Tony's Brown Bagger etc.

Sadly enough, the Bayou is gone and the Brown Bagger is now a barber shop.....

Times change I guess.

thewookie
02-21-08, 12:46 PM
Anyone stationed in Crete, Greece will remember the Fun Pub down in Hania. They have a pull up bar mounted to the ceiling and we used to hang down from the bar with our legs, and then curl up to the ceiling while doing a shot. The place didn't open until midnight and didn't get going til 2 or 3 am but we used to do that some nights until the sun came up! Great place to go to,,, if you're in the area!:beer:

hydraulic
02-21-08, 05:01 PM
Best bars I ever visited were Joanna's in Portsmouth, also known as the sticky carpet.
Next was the bars in Olongopo when the curfew was on in 1980, totally wicked and getting ratarsed at Cubi Point AFB beach bar.
For a touch of class there was the Bull & Bush in Hong Kong or the China Fleet Club.

Memories of technicolour yawns and lewd wenches.
:D

hydraulic
02-21-08, 05:04 PM
Do any of the Royals who were at Stonehouse remember the Pussycat Club in the main drag or the Captains Cabin in the piazza in Gibralter

Sgt Jim
02-21-08, 07:40 PM
all the little bars along HWY17,the Castaway in Jacksonville didn,t go in all of them

f4tweet
02-22-08, 12:42 AM
How about the Black Lantern, outside the main gate at MCAS Beaufort, halfway to Laurel Bay. I was supposed to be in Savannah at 5 to catch a flight to Indianapolis for a 96. My buddy talked me into going out for one beer! We closed the place at 2. I came back showered, woke up my ride and caught the plane. On the plane I put a blanket over me, fastened my seat belt and went to sleep. The stewardess woke me up in Indy. We had landed and taken off at Atlanta and Louisville and I don't remember a thing. My Dad picked me up and said I looked hung-over. Hmmm

Ron Banta, thanks for the ride, wherever you are.

Quinbo
04-21-10, 05:36 AM
Old thread but I got to thinking. What was the name of that club in Kinville? It was down the street on the right and had a wool blanket for a door. You could hear the music clear on base and their specialty drink was flaming rainbows. Mamasan had a tazor if any fights broke out she would dive right in and zap everybody.

TJR1070
04-21-10, 07:22 AM
Eddie's Place in Kinville
East Coast on BC street
Metallica outside the Kitimia Gate at Foster
Rock Lobster in Barrio Baretto
George and Dragon in Dubia UAE
Pure Platinum outside the back gate in Oceanside

Old Marine
04-21-10, 08:53 AM
Greystone Bar on Rt. 66 outside Main Gate, Barstow. Owned by Mike Cavanaugh in early 1960's.

Marine1955
04-21-10, 08:59 AM
Can't remember the names but we spent a lot of time at the bars in Havelock and Slocum Village outside Cherry Pt.One I think was called The Main Gate.

I used to hit Smoke's bar in Havelock and the Fleet Marine Club which I real like Plus the Bar tender was really tender wow!!!

Marine1955
04-21-10, 09:02 AM
A mile out the back of El Toro was the Iron Mule. It was okay, but when they closed on the weekend everyone went to the Bonfire afterwards to keep up the party. A few Bros lost a bit o money shooting dice with the locals.

Albany, the Monkey Palace was a real dive bar with a thick layer of cigarette smoke that was like CS. One Bro was outside and got hit in the head with a half full bottle of Jack Daniels thrown at him from an unpatriotic citizen. He was happy cause it didn't break and he laid claim to it!

All in all the best parties were local groupies that invited us back to their place to party with them and their girlfriends. They presented quite a 'target rich environment'! ;)

Hey Wing your signiture pic. of obama makes him look like one of the people from M.I.B. so who you going to call hahahahaha

TJR1070
04-21-10, 09:12 AM
I went to Lejuene a few years ago to support the Wounded Warrior program and we went to a bar called "Swanick's?". That bar should be designated a Marine Coprs historical site. The amount of memorabilia inside is incredible, the SgtMaj (ret) that owns the bar was one awesome Marine. Collared shirts only allowed, but they had loaners at the door if you didn't have one on.

tdrt
04-21-10, 09:35 AM
Command Post in Quantico -- I used to waitress/bartend there.

Then right after I got out, I was night manager. During the summer on OCS weekends, used to make $200 night in tips on weekends. Nothing beats a horny Marine on liberty!

temarti
04-21-10, 09:51 AM
Diegos right outside of Foster, gone now, but was a fun hole in the wall

spotts
04-21-10, 10:30 AM
Thunderbird and The Foxy Lady outside of lejeune

Garyius
04-21-10, 01:29 PM
What was that bar on Gate 2 Street 88-90 with the band that played Sweet Child of Mine every hour or so every night?

We got rocked there a lot, including my second night on the island.

The Stage was too far away from anything other than Kinser to go there more than one a year. Anyone still have their "Naha Music" membership card?