PDA

View Full Version : Marine Having Problems with Navy Medical Since June 07 Respectfully Requests Advice

Maydaigh
02-15-08, 10:33 PM
Good evening from Atlanta! This is my first post to this website which I found references to while searching for "solutions" to my situation. I have tried to search out the answers prior to posting this question, but I have come up empty and am requesting the knowledge of fellow Marines because after 9 months, I'm worn out with fighting this battle with Navy Medical.

Let me briefly tell the short version of my current situation. After law school, I was headed to OCS but felt it was important to go through enlisted training first....so I put of OCS until the summer session (reporting June 2007), going reserve enlisted then picking up my active officer contract. During MOS school, I was first "officially" injured and, while waiting to pick up with my class, finally went to get checked out, as I didn't want to be a light duty female in any training situation. Doctor diagnosed me with plantar faciatis, shin splints (huge surprise) in both legs, and similar problems..inflammation in both legs and overuse syndrome (did I mention I was at an Army hospital!?). But rather than starting any physical therapy or suggesting anything other than not running for two weeks, he sent me on my way to come back if needed (which didn't seem very likely because it took me awhile to even go in there). Needless to say, I left MOS training a few months later to go home for 5 wks before reporting to OCC-195.

At Quantico I was dropped into training, then within a few weeks, I was told to report back into medical due to my prior injuries which they wanted to ensure hadn't cropped back up. Needless to say, the physical trainer checking everything out was a little surprised I hadn't come in myself because apparently swollen legs are not that swollen just from being back in a training situation...who knew?! My injuries were apparently bad enough just to the naked eye and touch, that I was dropped from training within 10 min. The CO of OCS (mustang) came to sit and talk to me about things while I waited to be taken to mainside Quantico for x-rays, etc. The short list of my injuries are: shin splints deep in tibias of both legs, stress fractures on all but one metatarsal in each foot, bone spurs both feet due to weak ankles..subsequently I've had issues with my knees but was also diagnosed with "snapping hip syndrome" which I honestly thought had to be a joke.

Since receiving orders to reattach to reserve unit, the short version of what has happended follows: denied medical bc Army doctor info not in med record; appeal and get Army med documents to reinclude; medical granted as LOD determined but limited visits for consult, scans, x-rays, and related; told I would receive incapacitation pay (NOE 204(h) then 204(g)) and medical and dental for 6 months while no duty status; then told wasn't eligible because I didn't have a job prior to training injury and wasn't losing money---however, as I was an active duty officer contract who already graduated and came from enlisted training few weeks before, I wouldn't have had a job; they then say yes, I'm eligible for pay, etc.; but never received any money, couldn't find temp work and had no income for approx. 4 mths; received letter from Quantico asking for personal check saying I had been overpaid in June; Navy ordered Med Board in Sept., no active duty Army hospital would see me and wasn't able to get into Navy facility until end of Nov.; have been required to go up 7 times during the week for a 3 part physical (many reasons all incompetency) and ask for time off my civilian job on top of time off I have still been required ask for to drive up to reserve center in Knoxville (I live in Atl now) as I am still required to drill even though I can't do anything; have been to DTAP and supposed to sign final report of ortho doc but had to write rebuttal as my rank, gender, treatment, diagnoses, and date of original injury were all completely incorrect or not accurate; just received revised med report with things still inconsistent will all other med reports regarding injury and packet with likely be rejected from PEB board because doctor on leave until after due.

So since June of last year, I have been working my chain of command, respectfully been jerked around, denied pay when I had no source of income and bills I couldn't pay, have never received physical therapy or other med benefits to help so still suffering from same problems, continue to have ask for time off for med or drill (past what civilian employers are required to allow for unless service member activated), etc....basically, I am paying money to stay in military because of out of pocket expenses for travel, trips, and time off work; have found through reading internal communications possible no med help ever or pay because of length of service....and so many other things.

I am not one to complain or say something isn't fair, but I am literally at the point where I do not know what else to do. I am financially, physically and mentally pretty much completely screwed up from this situation and have not even been able to engage in running or any other type of exercise more than possibly that of a mall walker since 07 June 2007...so I have no outlets to get my frustration out. If anyone knows of anyone I can talk to or figure out a way to ensure that I do not end up getting completely left behind in this process. I have never cared about the money or benefits because I have always believed that those in combat zones are the ones who deserve those things...but it would be nice to have some physical therapy or maybe a guarantee that anything resulting from these injuries years in the future won't drive me broke because I can't even afford to pay for additional medical now than the limited plan I have through my company due to too many other expenses. I would appreciate all suggestions, advice, etc.

As a note, the lawyer in me has already gone through all applicable code, case law, found interesting comments in my med record inc. that the Navy was going to request a med board immediately if I got approved for LOD, saved emails, gathered contact info, all related communications, etc. But I know military help for problems with medical aren't really existent...but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I apologize for the lengthy post, unfortunately, that is the most condensed version I could give. Semper Fi.

Phantom Blooper
02-16-08, 09:26 AM
Have you tried a service organization DAV,VFW,AMVETS,American legion in Atlanta for help and advice? Also go to the county VA office in the county seat usually located in or around the courthouse or...

GySgtRet
02-16-08, 01:05 PM
I read your story and I had a similar thing happen to me during my time at recruit traing at Parris Island but I healed ok and made a career of the Marine Corps. I like the plan that you have laid out for yourself. Since you are a drilling reservist you may be able to get consults to go to Bethesda. That is where all treatment that can't been done where you are stationed and since the Army couldn't take care of you prpperly maybe if you could convince your command to get you TAD orders to Bethesda to an orothopedic surgeon they could evaluate you so you could get on with your plans to become a officer of Marines.

Semper Fi

:usmc:

Maydaigh
02-16-08, 01:34 PM
I have spoken to some vet organizations but the situation has changed very quickly, as the Med Eval Report for my PEB was very very off and have been dealing with going back and forth with NAS JAX to...

FistFu68
02-16-08, 02:18 PM
:evilgrin: REQUEST MAST!WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE REQUEST SHEET,FILL IN ALL THE BOXES WITH A CHECK MARK,SUCH AS BN.X.O,BN.C.O;THEN GO ALL THE WAY UP THE LADDER.CHECK THEM ALL COMMANDANT MARINE CORPS,AND FINALLY THE ONE THAT WILL GET THEIR ATTENTION IS SECRETARY OF THE NAVY!!!!!GO SEEK OUT A GOOD HIGH-RANKING CHAPLAIN,THEY TEND TOO GET THE BALL ROLLING IF THEY LIKE YOU.WHEN GOING UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND ,WHEN ASKED BY A BN.C.O;IF ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED TOO YOU'R SATISFACTION SAY HELL NO!!! YOU WANNA SEE THE NAVY SEC.UNLESS THE COMANDING GENERAL OF YOU'R BASE HAS TAKEN CARE OF THIS BULLCHIT A.S.A.P!!! GOOD~LUCK,DO NOT LET THEM INTIMADATE YOU!:usmc:

Maydaigh
02-16-08, 08:36 PM
Thanks FISTFU68 for your advice. I've actually already explored the requesting mast approach, however, the situation is a little different for two reasons. First, unfortunately, the reserve unit I report to for drill is not on a base and is only a small building with a modified O-course on the Tennessee River outside Knoxville. And while there is a Marine unit there, I'm not attached to it as it's composed of infantry & combat engineers...all females and a few males with different MOSs are all attached to a Navy Med Detachment. So I've already rolled up my Navy chain of command without having to request mast because the Senior Chief is very on top of things I knew I was getting screwed.

Second, the Btn Comm. of the Navy Med Detachment has already taken the issue higher and has begun reporting repeated problems that have continued to occur. The local NAS personnel that handled (not well but it is what it is) my final physical for the PEB have complaints/letters/etc. officially sent up on them already initiated by the Senior of his own accord. I've had calls in the last week from BUMED because something came to them by mistake, but someone had time and ended up deciding to follow up with the situation. However, I don't plan on sitting around waiting for something else to go wrong and want to have a few other plans of action in place.

Thanks again for the request mast suggestion though...I actually went through the order again a few weeks ago to see what else I could do, if anything...then I received the call that the Navy Med Btn CO had already starting pushing things on my behalf. But, while I know some wonderful people in the Navy, I have had too many problems with things not working up to this point not to be proactive. But I will keep the Sec. of the Navy in mind because I have no problem being assertive, as I have acted completely respectfully and done more than asked to this point....now if things aren't taken care of, it will not be the end of it not just for my situation, but I am sure there are many Marines that have been screwed in this process, and hopefully I will be able to help some Marines in the future that find themselves in the same situation.

Wyoming
02-16-08, 09:18 PM

REQUEST MAST - To the TOP!!!!

Oh yeah, Jack already said it, BUT, do it while you are still attached.

Surely you don't think that once you get into the 1st CivDiv, that you'll have more 'stroke' than you have now?